Ignore "Use By" Dates?

i ignore use by dates on milk etc...buttermilk stays good long after the use by date.....regular milk will last a week or so after...seafood ....not so lax about.

Eggs are another thing that are usually good long past the date on the carton. Know how to tell if an egg is still good? Put it up next to your ear and shake it gently. If it sounds like liquid, don't use it. Otherwise, you're all right.

I ignore my liver expiration date.

It takes a licking and keeps on....doing what ever the liver does.

Who is your onion Daddy??????

Much also depends on how you store something, etc... whether your fridge is colder... whether you freeze things, etc.... hell, growing up, one of the best bargains would be to buy meat on the last day that the store is supposed to sell it... take it home, pack it in freezer bags, and put it right in the freezer... have done that many times in my adult life too, when I was making a lot less money

Seems I was burnt by some "bad" mayo quite recently.
Ignore, but within reason!

Keep in mind that food does not turn toxic overnight if you exceed use by dates. The quality of the food may deteriorate but it is not necessarily "bad"

Your nose is still one of the best indicators

Much also depends on how you store something, etc... whether your fridge is colder... whether you freeze things, etc.... hell, growing up, one of the best bargains would be to buy meat on the last day that the store is supposed to sell it... take it home, pack it in freezer bags, and put it right in the freezer... have done that many times in my adult life too, when I was making a lot less money

Yah, I got many a good piece of "aged meat" that way.

Keep in mind that food does not turn toxic overnight if you exceed use by dates. The quality of the food may deteriorate but it is not necessarily "bad"

LOL... but I do remember a lot of time my grandmother trying the "taste this and tell me if it seems bad" routine... God, I hated that

LOL... but I do remember a lot of time my grandmother trying the "taste this and tell me if it seems bad" routine... God, I hated that

The green mold is a good tip off

The green mold is a good tip off

As was the fact that she did not taste it herself... LOL

I learned a long time ago that milk was good for about a week after the sell date. Same goes for yogurt as well as other dairy products.

Soda goes bad. My dad is the 'buy in bulk' type . . . even though neither he or my mother drink soda and rarely do they have anyone over who drinks soda so, yeah he's got soda that has expired a year or two ago sitting in the garage. :rolleyes:

Something I do - because I can't remember when I open stuff - is to write the date I open it on the outside of the container. Spaghetti sauce, mayo, apple sauce . . . things we use but don't use up fast, like we do with milk and eggs. I also do it for things that don't get stored in the fridge, like Crisco (solid shortening) and oils. They take longer to go rancid but they do go rancid eventually.

As for meds . . . lol, I keep 'em and I use 'em. They lose some of their strength over time but they don't 'go bad', at least, not anything I've ever taken even after a few years past the expiration date. Yeah, I'm keeping those 38 Tylenol w/codeine pills just in case and I"ll take 'em if I need 'em.

Ok so that's my friggin' Donna Reed tip-of-the-day.

Nothing I have ever lasts that long, as I don't buy big quantities.

Or when I do, I consume them quickly.

Milk last 2 days for a gallon, eggs are all done in a week.

Nothing here has a change to sit that long.

Forum List

Back