Ignorance of the American People?

manu1959

Left Coast Isolationist
Oct 28, 2004
california
Why is it that countless people think that the American people are ignorant and will vote for the wrong person yet they are not ignorant and will do the right thing?

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "do the right thing".

As far as voting goes, a large part of the problem is the nature of democracy, or our version of it anyway. You have two choices, and you can't pick and choose. Maybe you like the economics of candidate A but the foreign policy ideas of candidate B? Tough, you pull the lever and they take that as a mandate for everything on their agenda for 2 or more years. Imagine how life would suck if you had two stores to pick from, and you had to buy *everything* from that store for two years.

The other part of the problem is putting politics into things that shouldn't be decided by the democratic process in the first place. Most people don't know shit about say, the economics of health care. But since government is getting involved, they want to tilt things towards their preferences.

Yeah that might be the ticket with regards to politics. I also see the general population as ignorant by our ways of media and entertainment are shown. I lived overseas for 7 years mainly in Japan but also in Australia and the Indian Ocean and our news media at the time was CNN and it filtered around the world. When I'd travel to other countries during that time it was clear when ever you saw foreigners who were Europeans and who were Americans. It was clear who were American because almost always they’d naturally show there asses in public and are loud and most always making a scene. Now I’m not saying ALL Americans but a good majority do and they make the rest of us look bad. Our education system in our country just blows because I can say the things I learned in school besides education I learned common courtesy like greetings and such are not being taught today. In the world saying wuzzz up or yo is gay! And it makes us again look stupid. When you have simple 3rd world folk who can speak our language and are polite and then we treat them stupid that isn't a good impression left on those folks about our country or its people. This little bit I have posted isn't even scratching the surface. And what gets me is some of the most educated folk I've ever met their kids are complete opposite and rude and the parents think it is cute. I am originally a from a small town in the Panhandle of Texas and I've been around the world and in many major cities in our country. I frequently go to Philadelphia and NYC, I live near Washington D.C. and I'm amazed at how we've allowed our once proper culture to just sag into complete slang sub-sub culture and it is the right thing to do. Instead of demanding these so-called under privileged kids to learn the proper language in our country we allow it and even try to have our government except it as a real language! Many may disagree and so what I say! I learned many things in the world and presentation of ones self is the first impression next when I open my sword I'd damn well better make an honest attempt to speak clearly and be understood. I'm not highly educated but on my job I do have to interface with many highly educated folk and we seem to get on well. So IMHO our country is very ignorant and it shows all the time.

Forum List

Back