Ifyou don't like the message, try to kill the messenger?

hjmick

Platinum Member
Mar 28, 2007
Charleston, SC
Ah yes, when the message isn't to your liking or if someone questions what is posted on your blog, just try to shut them down. Who needs free speech? Viva censorship! When do the book burnings begin?

For the record, I visit DailyKos frequently and I am often shocked at the amount of hate and angry rhetoric spewed over there.

Liberals Going After Fox Advertisers
Jul 27 04:08 PM US/Eastern
By DAVID BAUDER
AP Television Writer

NEW YORK (AP) - Liberal activists are stepping up their campaign against Fox News Channel by pressuring advertisers not to patronize the network.

MoveOn.org, the Campaign for America's Future and liberal blogs like DailyKos.com are asking thousands of supporters to monitor who is advertising on the network. Once a database is gathered, an organized phone-calling campaign will begin, said Jim Gilliam, vice president of media strategy for Brave New Films, a company that has made anti-Fox videos.

The groups have successfully pressured Democratic presidential candidates not to appear at any debate sponsored by Fox, and are also trying to get Home Depot Inc. to stop advertising there.

At least 5,000 people nationwide have signed up to compile logs on who is running commercials on Fox, Gilliam said. The groups want to first concentrate on businesses running local ads, as opposed to national commercials.

"It's a lot more effective for Sam's Diner to get calls from 10 people in his town than going to the consumer complaint department of some pharmaceutical company," Gilliam said.

Some of videos produced by Gilliam's company compile statements made by Fox anchors and guests that the activists consider misleading, such as those that question global warming.

Representatives for Fox News Channel, which is owned by News Corp., did not immediately return calls for comment.

Home Depot has not had an unusual number of calls, said spokesman Jerry Shields, and the home improvement chain will not change its advertising strategy.

"We're not in the business of censoring media," Shields said. "We need to reach our customer base through all mediums available."

The groups seem particularly angry at Fox's Bill O'Reilly, who has done critical reports on left-wing bloggers. On July 16, O'Reilly said the DailyKos.com Web site is "hate of the worst order," and sent a reporter to question JetBlue Airways Corp. CEO Dave Barger about the airline's sponsorship of a gathering run by DailyKos.

article...

Ah yes, when the message isn't to your liking or if someone questions what is posted on your blog, just try to shut them down. Who needs free speech? Viva censorship! When do the book burnings begin?

For the record, I visit DailyKos frequently and I am often shocked at the amount of hate and angry rhetoric spewed over there.

It reminds me of the outcry after the Dixie Chicks criticized Bush. There were public displays of people crushing and burning music. There were requests to radio companies to not broadcast their songs. What goes around comes around. By the way, I have no objection to people asking people to not support shows that they do not like. Let the free market decide – or do you want special legislation to protect conservative shows?

It reminds me of the outcry after the Dixie Chicks criticized Bush. There were public displays of people crushing and burning music. There were requests to radio companies to not broadcast their songs. What goes around comes around. By the way, I have no objection to people asking people to not support shows that they do not like. Let the free market decide – or do you want special legislation to protect conservative shows?

I am merely amused at the effort. Almost as amused with it as I am by the people who don't recognize that Fox News is less a news outlet and more of an analysis network. If you watch one twenty four hour cycle, there is very little actual news. It's like saying that the Drudge Report is a news website. No, it's a website that provides links to news stories, they do very little actual reporting of their own over at Drudge. In fact it is miniscule at best.

The Dixie Chicks fiasco was just plain silly.

The Dixie Chicks are horrible, when they sing it's like a pack of dogs howling. People were doing the country a service by buring their "Music" and I use that term lightley because you can hardly call that garbage Music.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!

OLiely does the same thing every damn day.

Its funny how if Oliely says call their sponsers its OK but when Kos does it its not.

It was in direct response to Oliely telling people to call one of the DKs sponsers.

damn you guys just cant stand it when they ohter side plays your own game huh?

why is using the power of people in numbers who have a common goal wrong ?

This is still America isnt it?

why is using the power of people in numbers who have a common goal wrong ?

This is still America isnt it?

How about answering my questions first, though I'll give you a gimme, yes it's still 'America.'

This is what bothers me about the left, not all the left, but those in the left who employ this tactic. If you dont agree with someone use violence or intimidation, im as much against this, as i am against a right wing nut calling someone unpatriotic for not support the war, or blowing up and abortion clinic.

Speech should not be censored unless it advocates, and/or shows how to commit violence.

We need more speech, not less. Let the left loons, the right loons, and all loons have the right to speak, dont censor.

If a college wants michael savage or ward churchill, let the other side be presented, and make sure you have security and everything organized, but no bullying.

Neither of those examples are censorship. They are both asinine, but censorship is the government forcing people not to speak. Just as Fox has the right to say whatever it wants, other people have the right to not associate with Fox for saying what it wants. You can say whatever you want, that doesn't mean anyone has to listen to you.

I believe American have every right to band together to increase their sway of companies and or political reps.

I believe American have every right to band together to increase their sway of companies and or political reps.

Okay. Though that is not a question and I have zip to respond to that, other than the 'okay.'

Forum List

Back