If You're In the New York Area

jillian

Princess
Apr 4, 2006
The Other Side of Paradise
and are ok after the storm.

this little teeny part of Brooklyn got hit really hard and needs supplies and bodies to help out.

gerritsen_beachs_zone_b_hell_no_one.php

Gerritsen Beach, the little peninsula community in Brooklyn, was designateded as Zone B, so residents weren't worried when Mayor Bloomberg ordered a mandatory evacuation of Zone A as Hurricane Sandy barreled our way. But when the intense storm hit, homes were ravaged, with the surge brining 5-8 feet of water to flood houses. Daniel Cavanagh, lieutenant with the volunteer Gerritsen Beach Fire Department, tells us, "No one was ready, no one had medications," as he and other "vollies" rescued frantic residents from their homes all night.
Cavanagh, who also runs GerritsenBeach.net, and his colleagues had been steadily fielding calls on Monday. and as the storm got stronger they kept coming. By the 6:30-8:30 p.m. period when high tide was hitting the flooding was steady. Besides worrying about getting residents (including an elderly woman in a wheelchair) to safety, firefighters had to worry about protecting the fire engine from the rising water!
They nearly lost the fire engine twice as the surge powered down Gerritsen Avenue, which is the only way in and out of Gerritsen Beach. Cavanagh says the surge went from the water's end of the avenue all the way to the school, nearly a mile away!

Gerritsen Beach's Zone B Horror: "No One Was Ready" For Storm Surge: Gothamist

did you read the article? they were told they were in zone b and didn't have to evacuate.

do we really want to blame the victims?

jeeze... who stole your log in?

I don't 'blame' the victims. I blame their elected officials.

I've already donated to help those who need it.... I tend to put my money where my mouth is... being a conservative. I don't need some half assed lefty deciding what I should support.

Thanks for posting this Jillian. From the map picture, it does look like they would have be in a relatively protected area. I guess the full moon really did affect flooding.

How is it getting into the city and out for out of towners. I know of a couple that plans on taking up supplies from the Boston area and I will tell them about this community.

I've already donated to help those who need it.... I tend to put my money where my mouth is... being a conservative. I don't need some half assed lefty deciding what I should support.

wtf is your problem? It's comments like these that keep me from voting for "conservatives."

Hmm, they weren't ready. This after almost a week's worth of warnings that the largest storm in memory was heading their way? This is typical liberal thinking at it's best. EVERY weather expert in the nation tells you this will be a storm like no other this generation has ever seen. EVERY expert tells you that you can expect storm surges maybe as high as 20'. EVERY expert tells you to prepare for maybe up to a week without power. EVERY expert tells you to evacuate if you live in flood prone areas or near the ocean. Common sense tells you to either evacuate or at least stock pile the neccessities that you need to survive yet you ignore all these experts because you think the govt is all knowing and will and should take care of you. This community is in Sheepshead Bay, on a pennisula. It is almost completely surrounded by water. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to KNOW this area would be in danger.

Thanks for posting this Jillian. From the map picture, it does look like they would have be in a relatively protected area. I guess the full moon really did affect flooding.

How is it getting into the city and out for out of towners. I know of a couple that plans on taking up supplies from the Boston area and I will tell them about this community.

they never saw it coming. the whole area is a mess.

that seems to be what happened... the moon plus the surges just wiped them out.

getting into the city is ok today. tomorrow they may go back to the requirement that you have 3 or more people in the car to go into manhattan. i'm told metro north is running some lines and the LIRR is running on all lines except for long beach. we have no subway system at my end of the world... but bus travel has been ok.

wtf is your problem? It's comments like these that keep me from voting for "conservatives."

No, it's not comments like mine that keep you from voting with conservatives. That's a lie. You're a left winger - that's why you don't vote conservative.

There is no reason to get all emotional about it. Donate and help. Not rocket science.

Hmm, they weren't ready. This after almost a week's worth of warnings that the largest storm in memory was heading their way? This is typical liberal thinking at it's best. EVERY weather expert in the nation tells you this will be a storm like no other this generation has ever seen. EVERY expert tells you that you can expect storm surges maybe as high as 20'. EVERY expert tells you to prepare for maybe up to a week without power. EVERY expert tells you to evacuate if you live in flood prone areas or near the ocean. Common sense tells you to either evacuate or at least stock pile the neccessities that you need to survive yet you ignore all these experts because you think the govt is all knowing and will and should take care of you. This community is in Sheepshead Bay, on a pennisula. It is almost completely surrounded by water. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to KNOW this area would be in danger.

again...another person who doesn't read. they were told they were in a safe area and were told they didn't have to evacuate.

you do realize that if people don't have to evacuate they don't leave their homes, right?

what else would you have had them do? they'd still need help getting the area cleaned up?

i just love compassionate conservatives. :cuckoo:

getting into the city is ok today. tomorrow they may go back to the requirement that you have 3 or more people in the car to go into manhattan. i'm told metro north is running some lines and the LIRR is running on all lines except for long beach. we have no subway system at my end of the world... but bus travel has been ok.
None of the subways into Brooklyn are running? That really makes it tough. I hope someone in that neighborhood contacted FEMA. Are hotels helping with people that are suddenly homeless?

None of the subways into Brooklyn are running? That really makes it tough. I hope someone in that neighborhood contacted FEMA. Are hotels helping with people that are suddenly homeless?

some lines are running... just not near me. it's a pain to wait on line for a bus, but it's better than nothing.

again...another person who doesn't read. they were told they were in a safe area and were told they didn't have to evacuate.

you do realize that if people don't have to evacuate they don't leave their homes, right?

what else would you have had them do? they'd still need help getting the area cleaned up?

This compassionate conservative has already donated. And I'll donate again if necessary. What this compassionate conservative doesn't do is make it a partisan issue. I leave that to you - you are so much better at it than I am.

They said the same thing last year and the storm pettered out....shrug..
So all people who live there are Dems?

This compassionate conservative has already donated. And I'll donate again if necessary. What this compassionate conservative doesn't do is make it a partisan issue. I leave that to you - you are so much better at it than I am.
You made it partisan. Why don't you go pee on someone else's thread?

They said the same thing last year and the storm pettered out....shrug..
So all people who live there are Dems?

actually, it's a largely republican area. lots of irish and italian catholics.

I don't need to read what they were told. I've been there, I have family and friends that still live in the Sheepshead bay section of Brooklyn, I don't give a crap what some politician told them. The freaking EXPERTS told them it would be one of the worst storms in this nation's history. And no, SMART people, when they look around and see their community is surrounded on three sides by water, and who are told that the storm surge could reach 20+ feet, evacuate, no matter what some dumbass politician tells them and if they don't evacuate they at least prepare for flooding and power outages. If you've become so condtioned that you allow the assurances of a politician to override your own God given common sense and the warnings of experts, then your loss can only help strengthen the gene pool of this nation. I have little compassion for dumbasses.

You made it partisan. Why don't you go pee on someone else's thread?

personally, i thought it was a nice idea to reach out for fellow ny'ers who might be able to help. i found the response a little surprising...even from whence it came.

perhaps the fact that it was in general discussion and not politics confused them.

or maybe they're such ugly people that they'd rather be partisan loons.

Also note wingnut, in Jillian's link it mentions volunteer firefighter Daniel Cavanagh..

That would be this guy:

General election challengers

The victor of the primaries will be challenged by Vivia Morgan of the Green Party, and Daniel Cavanagh of the Republican Party.

Congressional Redistricting – A Primary Election Guide To Changes And Candidates | Sheepshead Bay News Blog

Even put it bold for ya..

Last edited:

Forum List

Back