If you're even thinking

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
About leaving Windows behind this video should help you out. This is Linux Mint 19 (Cinnamon), the video shows just how similar it is to Windows and how easy it is to migrate to Linux, how modern, stable and user friendly Linux Mint is.
Note: the video narrator goes into more depth towards the end of the video using simple commands in Terminal to make some changes, despite his claim that you will have to occasionally use Terminal none of that is necessary unless you want to learn it. He's just an example of how techies forget what it's like to be a non-techie.......

About leaving Windows behind this video should help you out. This is Linux Mint 19 (Cinnamon), the video shows just how similar it is to Windows and how easy it is to migrate to Linux, how modern, stable and user friendly Linux Mint is.
Note: the video narrator goes into more depth towards the end of the video using simple commands in Terminal to make some changes, despite his claim that you will have to occasionally use Terminal none of that is necessary unless you want to learn it. He's just an example of how techies forget what it's like to be a non-techie.......

It's minty-fresh!

(To cover up the hacking up of tarballs)

I'm just kidding people. It's a stable and very user-friendly OS. For all I know, could be the easiest one to go to if you want to ditch Windows.

Me, I'm a nerd, and it's too simple for me. I've been entrenched in the more terminal stuff for a while now.

I started with Ubuntu, which is quite Mint-y actually.

Last edited:
Windows is still the way for gaming. Linux just has too many issues.

I actually have other problems with Linux Mint, too. There are sometimes browser issues as well as video playback problems. I haven't tried Mint 19, though.

Of course, being free helps offset that. :)

Which desktop do you recommend? Picking your desktop in Linux is very important. It pretty much is the whole experience.

I actually have other problems with Linux Mint, too. There are sometimes browser issues as well as video playback problems. I haven't tried Mint 19, though.

agameonlinux.jpg

For internet browsing and email and stuff? I'd highly recommend Linux. It's very secure. You can harden your kernel fairly easily and other assorted tricks to make it even moreso if you so choose.

Not much need to worry about browser-jacker sites either. They just don't work on Linux.

Pop-Ups on Linux? Pfft. Lemme knock on this here desk, never had any.

Which desktop do you recommend? Picking your desktop in Linux is very important. It pretty much is the whole experience.

I use Kubuntu, it's more configurable besides I like the Plasma Application Dashboard over the traditional "Start" Menu. I also use Terminal more for certain things like update/upgrade, it's faster than using the graphical interface.

If you use ever Chrome or Chromium you need Peppermint Flash to watch videos. It's in the Software Repository. I've never had browser or playback issues with any browser I've used except with Chromium and certain sites (Amazon Video, Comcast)

If you use ever Chrome or Chromium you need Peppermint Flash to watch videos. It's in the Software Repository. I've never had browser or playback issues with any browser I've used except with Chromium and certain sites (Amazon Video, Comcast)

The Firefox I use on Mint occasionally has issues. And VLC doesn't always work well in Mint for me. I believe both use different versions in Mint than in Windows, although I'm not 100% sure of that.

The Firefox I use on Mint occasionally has issues. And VLC doesn't always work well in Mint for me. I believe both use different versions in Mint than in Windows, although I'm not 100% sure of that.
VLC is very, very, very sensitive meaning your CDs/DVDs need to be super clean. Warm water and dish soap, rinse the disc first than using your fingers rub the disc with soap to get off stubborn grime.

View attachment 235358
New Steam Play that allows people to play many Windows games on Linux.

How to Play Windows-only Games on Linux with Steam Play - It's FOSS

Make sure Steam is updated then follow the instructions. Trying it out now.

View attachment 235358

I haven't used Steam since Half-Life 2.

I use Kubuntu, it's more configurable besides I like the Plasma Application Dashboard over the traditional "Start" Menu. I also use Terminal more for certain things like update/upgrade, it's faster than using the graphical interface.

That's KDE Ubuntu. You should explain the different desktops to people.

Only if they're interested which is why I'm currently focusing on Mint for Windows users, don't want to confuse people who are unfamiliar with the fact Linux has multiple distributions to choose from. Think; "typical user"........
Oh and I know it's KDE.

Only if they're interested which is why I'm currently focusing on Mint for Windows users, don't want to confuse people who are unfamiliar with the fact Linux has multiple distributions to choose from. Think; "typical user"........
Oh and I know it's KDE.

I doubt anything would be against the rules if you provided a link.. Do NOT quote me on that.

It's a free, secure OS that doesn't track your every move. :dunno:

Probably around 15% functionality may be lost unless you really need those niche programs.

Web, email, forums, business: Usually no problem.

"Linux has too many issues to be a gaming computer"..... just sayin...The Steam Machine is Linux.
It isn't Linux per say that has the problem, it is that there just isn't any real reason for developers on both sides (game makers and linux) to develop a proper foundation for it. Yet.
Linux would make an ideal game machine, due to it's much less demand of memory, and he ability to process 1's and 0's faster with less resources than Windows.
Not to mention Linux's proven CGI capabilities over Microsoft... (all Pixar movies are produced with Linux)
Linus has the muscle and the speed to be better than MS at gaming. But besides Steam, no one has yet gave it a proper go.

Linux Mint 19 download. There are three different versions, most Windows users will want Cinnamon 64bit unless you have a very, very old computer.

Download - Linux Mint

Burning the download to a thumb drive (USB Stick) is simple;

Create the bootable media — Linux Mint Installation Guide documentation

Installing or trying it on Win10 is relatively easy, first click on:
Settings
Recovery
Advanced Startup
Use a Device
EFI USB Device

Once you click on the EFI USB Device it will automatically reboot from the USB stick.

View attachment 235358

I haven't used Steam since Half-Life 2.
I still use it on occasion, more so now that I may be able to play many of my Windows games via Steam on Linux. :thup:

"Linux has too many issues to be a gaming computer"..... just sayin...The Steam Machine is Linux.
It isn't Linux per say that has the problem, it is that there just isn't any real reason for developers on both sides (game makers and linux) to develop a proper foundation for it. Yet.
Linux would make an ideal game machine, due to it's much less demand of memory, and he ability to process 1's and 0's faster with less resources than Windows.
Not to mention Linux's proven CGI capabilities over Microsoft... (all Pixar movies are produced with Linux)
Linus has the muscle and the speed to be better than MS at gaming. But besides Steam, no one has yet gave it a proper go.

I don't blame Linux for the problems with games, but it is the current reality. I've had plenty of issues trying to play games on Linux, eventually I just gave up and stuck with Windows for games. There simply aren't enough Linux users for game companies/distributors to see it as financially viable to make Linux versions. :dunno:

New Topics

Forum List

Back