If your kids turn out gay, would you kill them as Bible/Islam imply?

Question: If your children turn out to eventually be gay, would you kill them as the Bible/Islamic texts imply, or are the Bible/Islamic texts wrong? Which is it?

“If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives.” (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

If you reply "I don't follow the OT", that's great - then admit that it's wrong (or else you'd follow it).

I believe in loving gays, so of course I think we can move beyond the morality in the Bible/Islamic texts since they got it wrong.

Your opinion?

The New Testament also says homosexuality is a sin...all through out the Bible it's a sin
As a Scientific Humanist, if we had Jesus' super-powers, we would of course have taken a mere 15 seconds out of our entire life (or out of the 2000 years that Jesus has been allegedly "watching over us") to simply say "write this down - gay is ok, treat gays as equals."

I hope that more and more people get on board with this new love of humanity.

Well according to the Bible gay isn't OK....in fact it's an abomination
I admire your level of tolerance - god could learn tolerance from you.

But we forgive god for his intolerance.
You are so ignorant, it will do you great harm. You have NO standing to forgive GOD. May GOD forgive you.
No, as the god in the Bible is only ONE of the 5000+ gods that have ever been claimed - so I only have a 1 in 5000+ chance of being wrong....I'd say that you have about a 4999 in 5000 chance of being wrong.....the odds are on MY side.

Question: If your children turn out to eventually be gay, would you kill them as the Bible/Islamic texts imply, or are the Bible/Islamic texts wrong? Which is it?

“If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives.” (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

If you reply "I don't follow the OT", that's great - then admit that it's wrong (or else you'd follow it).

I believe in loving gays, so of course I think we can move beyond the morality in the Bible/Islamic texts since they got it wrong.

Your opinion?

The New Testament also says homosexuality is a sin...all through out the Bible it's a sin
As a Scientific Humanist, if we had Jesus' super-powers, we would of course have taken a mere 15 seconds out of our entire life (or out of the 2000 years that Jesus has been allegedly "watching over us") to simply say "write this down - gay is ok, treat gays as equals."

You are so ignorant, it will do you great harm. You have NO standing to forgive GOD. May GOD forgive you.
Forgiving is a GOOD thing, so why would a loving, caring god NOT look favorably on me for being more forgiving than even he is - I'm being a role model of forgiveness to god.

Your opinion?

At least we can agree that god is intolerant in the Bible (discrimination against gays, just for being gay).

Your opinion?

Wrong interpretation of the passage, but are you atheist? That would explain it being wrong. Atheists are usually wrong.
Actually, you are dead wrong, as this survey shows:
Survey: Atheists, Agnostics Know More About Religion Than Religious

Your opinion?
Religions can "evolve" during the years. You can see Christians used violence in the past but now they don't do any violent act.
So you don't have to choose between killing your gay children or declaring Bible or Koran wrong.
Plus religious texts must be decoded because parts of those books are allegorical :)
If they need to "evolve" then they are NOT from an all-knowing god, and that also would show that the Bible is wrong because a number of Biblical passages say that god does not CHANGE.

At least we can agree that god is intolerant in the Bible (discrimination against gays, just for being gay).
No, we don't have to agree. It's obvious you have no clue what you are talking about.

Your opinion?
Why r u obsessed with homosexuality? :gay:
Why do YOU hate gays? Well, maybe you DON'T hate gays, I don't know for sure....so let's test your love of gays: can you join me in saying this most loving prayer?
"God, I love everybody so much that I beg you to let ethical gays into heaven and avoid hell. Thanks."

Can you rise to the level of love of Scientific Humanist and join me in saying that most loving prayer, Tilly? If not, then perhaps a new, more loving belief system, would be helpful in your life.

Last edited:

Your opinion?

Wrong interpretation of the passage, but are you atheist? That would explain it being wrong. Atheists are usually wrong.
Actually you are wrong. You proved it with this thread.

No, we don't have to agree. It's obvious you have no clue what you are talking about.
Who knows, maybe god DOES love gays and does NOT hate them and WILL let them into heaven and avoid hell - I can't say with 100% certainty what the absolute truth is. But can we at least agree that if, repeat if, hypothetically (for argument's sake here), that if (again, if) god won't let gays into heaven and sends them to hell that god is less loving than Scientific Humanism is? Can we at least agree on that hypothetical? (This is not a test of what the Bible does or does not say, but rather a test of YOUR morality.) I believe in you. What say you?

Your opinion?

Actually you are wrong. You proved it with this thread.
Then please show us where it specifically says that gays get into heaven and gays avoid hell in the Bible. If you can't then please realize that Scientific Humanism is a more loving, more accepting belief system than the Bible is.

Wait, you don't think that many of THESE verses are intolerant? Homosexuality in the Bible

I'd say they are very intolerant - so let's work on creating a belief system that moves past the intolerance of god/Jesus/Bible - you and your family deserve that.

The Bible says to kill gays in Leviticus, and Christians haven't mustered the moral courage to improve/change that verse, so I think I can yes safely say that the god of the Bible is intolerant.

You are wrongly (no offense) conflating LOVE of all peoples (including gays) that leads to me condemning the Bible with "hatred". It's not "hatred" to condemn hatred....it's love. Can you join me in condemning the hatred in the Bible/Qur'an towards innocent people (gays)? If not, then your tolerance of intolerance is not actually tolerance like you probably think it is, mi amigo.
Disagreed I'm wrong in my assessment of you. When a person constantly bitches about a particular group, be it theists, blacks, "Jooos" or anyone else, clearly they are a bigot and bigots hate. Ergo, you, sir, are a hater.

There are Bible literalists just as there are Quran literalists, but most people are not haters regardless of their religious views.

I'm not a Biblical literalist. No, the world wasn't created in six days. No Eve wasn't created from Adam's rib nor were they the first two people on the planet. And, no, the rules of eating pork, shellfish and other "codes" from desert dwellers over 4,000 years ago do not necessarily apply to today. I know atheists and other assorted assholes want to throw the baby out bathwater in their haste to shit on religions, but I disagree with them. Yes, too many religious followers focus more on religious dogma rather than the purpose of religion in the first place (spiritual fulfillment**) The anti-religious followers focus on using those who put religion before spiritual growth as an excuse to attack all religious followers. This is not only wrong on their part, but, IMO, immoral.

**The Purpose of Religion | WaheguruNet
Religion has and continues to impact almost every aspect of human civilisation in both positive and negative ways. The great spiritual masters from all traditions, have taught that we need to adopt and develop higher qualities of love, mercy, generosity, kindness and so on. These higher qualities are a natural by product of developing a deeper connection with our spiritual nature and so in this respect religion can be thought of as a vehicle to support our spiritual development and our re-connection with divinity. In this way, human beings will be better at working together to create a better and more harmonious world.

The Bible says to kill gays in Leviticus, and Christians haven't mustered the moral courage to improve/change that verse, so I think I can yes safely say that the god of the Bible is intolerant.
Do you think Christians are like Congress and can vote upon amending the Bible with a 2/3s vote of 2 Billion Christians and up to 30,000 different denominations?

You are wrongly (no offense) conflating LOVE of all peoples (including gays) that leads to me condemning the Bible with "hatred". It's not "hatred" to condemn hatred....it's love. Can you join me in condemning the hatred in the Bible/Qur'an towards innocent people (gays)? If not, then your tolerance of intolerance is not actually tolerance like you probably think it is, mi amigo.

There are Bible literalists just as there are Quran literalists, but most people are not haters regardless of their religious views.
You couldn't BE more wrong, I'm afraid - virtually all Christians will NOT answer "yes" to this question:
"If, repeat if, god does (hypothetically for argument's sake here) hate gays then would you condemn god if he actually hated gays?"

As a Scientific Humanist I'd of course answer "yes", because I love everybody, and believe in fairness - but Christians clearly are a step below Scientific Humanists, ethically.

Do you think Christians are like Congress and can vote upon amending the Bible with a 2/3s vote of 2 Billion Christians and up to 30,000 different denominations?
Who the heck says they need to change "all" Bibles - all they need to do is love their children so much that they change the bad parts of only the ONE Bible that they give their children that say to kill gays - so that their kids won't feel like scum if they happen to turn out gay. A loving thing to do, of course. Scientific Humanists love our children so much that we can't endorse the Bible, as it stands now, with the hateful wording regarding innocent people (gays.) You are more loving than that, I know it!

They lack the moral courage to even change the ONE Bible that they give their impressionable young children.

Matthew, Mark and John..

I'm not a Biblical literalist. No, the world wasn't created in six days. No Eve wasn't created from Adam's rib nor were they the first two people on the planet. And, no, the rules of eating pork, shellfish and other "codes" from desert dwellers over 4,000 years ago do not necessarily apply to today. I know atheists and other a.....
So the story of a magic invisible guy who has now been dead (but still lives) for 2000 years is NOT to be taken literally, correct? It's just a metaphor for, say, rebirth, correct? So you don't believe that said zombie is going to come back and give you "eternal life", correct - because you are not a literalist when it comes to magic/unscientific stories, correct?

Matthew, Mark and John..
1 Corinthians 6:9-10 says gays don't get into heaven.....if you were in Jesus' supposedly all-loving shoes, would YOU have, in 2000 years, spoken up enough so that those verses would have been removed from the Bible? I would have, because I love everybody, and am more caring than Jesus obviously. What about you?

Forum List

Back