If You Woke Up From A Car Accident...?

AVG-JOE

American Mutt
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2008
Your Imagination
If you woke up from a car accident and the prognosis was a certainty that you would never be able to wipe your own ass again, would you want to go to (insert your concept of the place you go in the after-life here) instead of living like that?

What if the prognosis included not fully waking up?

Me? Check, Please! I'm ready to move on.

-Joe

If you woke up from a car accident and the prognosis was a certainty that you would never be able to wipe your own ass again, would you want to go to (insert your concept of the place you go in the after-life here) instead of living like that?

-Joe

It's a tough decision but we need to make it now rather than letting someone else do it. I wouldn't want my daughter to have to make that decision about me.

I really wouldn't want to live that way.

I never really enjoyed wiping my own ass, anyway.

Having worked with quadraplegics, many of whom were just getting used to that new status, I have to tell you that if you don't off yourself in the first year, you're likely to find a new modus vivendi which you find you can live with.

A former client of mine who, thanks to a car accident, went from studio musician drummer to quadraplegic used to say

Quadraplegia isn't so bad except for these pesky medical problems.

He's a lawyer now, and married to the girl who originally started out working for him as a personal care attendent.

-Joe

If the only thing that would be effected was my ability to wipe my own ass, and everything else was normal, then I would just have a bidet installed.

a few months in a coma will do enough damage...a friend woke up after 8 years...he cannot walk nor talk much..the muscles in his tongue apathied...(msp)

have you ever seen anyone who has just found out they are a quad? they are on these enormouns beds..halo beds...that allow them to be rotated like a chiken on a rotisserie...he could move his eye..his head was bolted ...i will never forget the sight of his eyes darting wildly as his mind tried to understand the concept of being paralazed from the neck down...i hope never to see that kind of desperations in another humans eyes again...

i dont know how i would react ....i simply do not know

sarahg...you can prevent your kids from facing this with a living will....i am an only child...but you should if you have more than one..make sure they all agree on the terms of the living will....

I'd get a colonoscopy bag and be done with it. Not fully waking up? Pull the plug.

We (my brothers and I) went to my mom and dad's yesterday for mom's day. Because it's hard to get us all together and we all happened to be together, he went over paperwork stuff in case (ok, when) he and/or my mom die. One of the wishes they both have is to not be kept alive using artificial means, no heroics. Death is part of life and no one is exempt. I thought it wise that they have their wishes written down and we are all aware of them now, before anything happens.

-Joe

Pull the plug. I can't stand any form of confinement as it is right now. To not have any say in the matter? Nono. I'm gone.

a few months in a coma will do enough damage...a friend woke up after 8 years...he cannot walk nor talk much..the muscles in his tongue apathied...(msp)

have you ever seen anyone who has just found out they are a quad? they are on these enormouns beds..halo beds...that allow them to be rotated like a chiken on a rotisserie...he could move his eye..his head was bolted ...i will never forget the sight of his eyes darting wildly as his mind tried to understand the concept of being paralazed from the neck down...i hope never to see that kind of desperations in another humans eyes again...

i dont know how i would react ....i simply do not know

Yeah...migrating from an ablebodied person to anything less than that is generally not well recieved.

But you'd be, perhaps, surprised how resiliant most people really are.

The will to live is strong even when your body has failed you.

I have a living will, there are certain criteria within the will, they state that if I am taken to hospital and I cannot brush my teeth or wipe my arse for example, there must must be no medical intervention.

Pull the plug? No way.

When God wants me to be done here I'm sure it will be taken care of. Until then I have a responsibility to make the most I can from this life in whatever capacity I have available.

Tough decision... don't want to be a burden on my kids or loved ones.. but if I still have my mind, you can still be happy and live a great life without personal ass wiping... Look at Hawking

I have a living will, there are certain criteria within the will, they state that if I am taken to hospital and I cannot brush my teeth or wipe my arse for example, there must must be no medical intervention.

Do you?

That's going to suck for you then if you're got a couple of broken arms.

But orders are orders, right?

Paging Dr. Kavorkian!

My standard is that if I am indefinitely reduced to a condition in which I am not capable of committing suicide on my own, I wish for someone to kill me-- or, at very least, leave me alone to die. I do not want my existence to be a burden to others, especially my family.

Last edited:
Pull the plug? No way.

When God wants me to be done here I'm sure it will be taken care of. Until then I have a responsibility to make the most I can from this life in whatever capacity I have available.

Wouldn't it actually be putting it directly in God's hands to not use artificial human machinery?

-Joe
I would for sure not want to live, I don't do well with being cramped up, my feet being warm, or feeling out of control. I would want to be killed. Luckly in my state if you are given a death sentence you can have assisted suicide. I took care of dementia patients, their is nothing worth living for once you get to that point. Once I get to a certain age I will for sure of DNR orders.

Do you?

That's going to suck for you then if you're got a couple of broken arms.

But orders are orders, right?

Paging Dr. Kavorkian!

:lol: You've just got to make sure you dot every i and cross every t.

Forum List

Back