If you were Russian...

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
Did you know it's tradition in Russian culture the middle names of the children are variants (either masculine, or feminine) of their father's first name.

My Father's name is James - (Jacob)

Thus, my name would be darin jacobvich (pronounced ya-cobe-vich, sorta)...I don't have any sisters, but if I did, their middle name would have been jacob(o?)vna, (maybe ya-cobe-nya?) etc...

Vladimir Vladmirovich Putin...his dad's name was also Vlady

etc...

-=d=- said:
Did you know it's tradition in Russian culture the middle names of the children are variants (either masculine, or feminine) of their father's first name.

My Father's name is James - (Jacob)

Thus, my name would be darin jacobvich (pronounced ya-cobe-vich, sorta)...I don't have any sisters, but if I did, their middle name would have been jacob(o?)vna, (maybe ya-cobe-nya?) etc...

Vladimir Vladmirovich Putin...his dad's name was also Vlady

etc...
Actually many cultures follow the similar pattern. As far as i know slavs, some indians, greeks..... Most cultures use father name as part of the son name...
Although in russia it is not consider a middle name. it is part of your official name. There is no such thing as middle name in russia as far as i know.

my 2c to spreading of knowledge :cool:

drac said:
Actually many cultures follow the similar pattern. As far as i know slavs, some indians, greeks..... Most cultures use father name as part of the son name...
Although in russia it is not consider a middle name. it is part of your official name. There is no such thing as middle name in russia as far as i know.

'middle' just describes the physical location of the name, while spoken or written, in comparison to the 'other' names :)

Factoid: My son has 'two' middle names. :)

Factoid: The Plural of 'factoid' is 'data'. :)

drac said:

Don't EVEN try to follow a Swedish family tree!!

Zhukov said:
Кристофер Иванович

Damnit... how did you do that? There is no Cryllic option on this board!

Да, вы очень ухищренны
;)

-=d=- said:
'middle' just describes the physical location of the name, while spoken or written, in comparison to the 'other' names :)

Factoid: My son has 'two' middle names. :)

Factoid: The Plural of 'factoid' is 'data'. :)
Did not know that about middle name. thank you
But the definition implies that you can "go by" the middle name if for some reason you like it more than your first one. it is not the case in russia, you either use your first name or first followed by father's name together.

Semper Fi said:
Да, вы очень ухищренны
;)
what does the last word mean?

Forum List

Back