If You Were Juan Williams...

People in the media have clauses in their contract that allow them to be dismissed for any behavior that their employer feels reflects poorly on them. It's called the "moral clause"

True and a lot of companies also have employment at will statements in them. Basically, the employer or employee can terminate employment at anytime for any reason or no reason at all.

It's just a sad day when telling the truth on how you personally feel about a situation violates some companies "moral clause". Sounds like a contradictory in terms to me.

I'm hope you were just as upset when Bill Maher was fired for saying the 9/11 terrorists were not cowards. Tiger Woods lost endorsement deal when the public found out he banged every girl he came in contact with.

BTW, no one is forced to sign such contracts. No one held a gun to Juan Williams head. He wanted the money, so he agreed to "watch what he says".

Just another high tech lynching of a distinguished Black Man. Selective Editing and instant rumors from the illiterate face book and twitter crowd spooked our Dear Vivian who clearly over-reacted.

Got any money? Here's a, not so novel, idea: Let's start a new public radio station, and call it, "American Public Radio." Know anyone with deep pockets, and the passion and vision to make it work? If the Government is giving NPR 5% of it's operating Budget, all we would want is, "our fair share." We want 5% too!

Gotta Live It! Then turn on NPR and listen to people go Bonkers . . .

Just another high tech lynching of a distinguished Black Man. Selective Editing and instant rumors from the illiterate face book and twitter crowd spooked our Dear Vivian who clearly over-reacted.

Got any money? Here's a, not so novel, idea: Let's start a new public radio station, and call it, "American Public Radio." Know anyone with deep pockets, and the passion and vision to make it work? If the Government is giving NPR 5% of it's operating Budget, all we would want is, "our fair share." We want 5% too!

Typical wingut wants the Nanny Govt to give him enough govt welfare to start a radio station.

Do you have any govt cheese to go with your whine?

...."and call it, "American Public Radio."

Oh! I thought it meant "National Progressive Radio"...

I'd just make the statement;

That day I learned who my friends where.

Fung shweh (-1sp) my new office at FOX.

Then go on a mutli-million dollar speaking tour of schools that teach journalism and let the students there now, that when you make a mistake or when the chips are down, you don't have any friends on the left, and they will eat thier own for any perception of an error.

How do you get fired for 1 honest line?

Then go on a mutli-million dollar speaking tour of schools that teach journalism and let the students there now, that when you make a mistake or when the chips are down, you don't have any friends on the left, and they will eat thier own for any perception of an error.

Stupidity is a valid grounds for termination :lol:

Actually it's not. But are you speaking from first hand knowledge? :poke:

Actually it's not. But are you speaking from first hand knowledge? :poke:

Actually, it is, and yes, I've fired many idiots over the years.

If I was Juan I'd probably want to sue them. But I'd first get a good attorney with a solid background in such cases and have him study every public statement or press announcement made by NPR and a thorough review of the terms of the contract.

If they violated any of the contract terms that could be one aspect of a suit. But IMO the bigger fish to fry might be in Vivian Schiller's words or perhaps in the apparent conflict between NPR's original explanation for the firing and its revised version.

As one who has served as a corporate officer like Ms. Schiller, I would be very surprised if NPR's attorneys weren't upset with her public statements post firing and would bet dollars to donuts they ended up telling her and everyone else at NPR to just zip it. The less there is on the record the less the other side has to pick apart if there is a suit.

I'm hope you were just as upset when Bill Maher was fired for saying the 9/11 terrorists were not cowards. Tiger Woods lost endorsement deal when the public found out he banged every girl he came in contact with.

BTW, no one is forced to sign such contracts. No one held a gun to Juan Williams head. He wanted the money, so he agreed to "watch what he says".

Well I didn't know that Bill Maher was fired for saying that. I don't think they were cowards, you can't be a coward and go through with an act like that knowing what's going to happen before you even start the operation. But I do think it was a cowardice act attacking civilians that had nothing to do with Bin Laden's problem with the government.

You are right that no one forced Juan to sign that contract. But if I'm not mistaken Juan was not representing NPR at the time he made his personal truthful opinion about a situation.

"High tech lynching of a black man"?

You broke my irony meter, dude.

irony-meter.jpg

irony-meter.jpg

That's our Maddie, never let facts get in the way of your opinion. Good for you!

irony-meter.jpg

That's our Maddie, never let facts get in the way of your opinion. Good for you!

Pretzel shaped again, CG? Ain't that uncomfy?

irony-meter.jpg

Nope, unlike you.... I don't accept on face value. I check for context. Had you bothered to check for context, you would agree with Juan. But you don't. I don't know if that's because you're not smart enough to understand the importance of context, or whether you're just too lazy. It doesn't really matter. I don't really care.

Entertaining as all hell that you call yourself a Republican though.

Nope, unlike you.... I don't accept on face value. I check for context. Had you bothered to check for context, you would agree with Juan. But you don't. I don't know if that's because you're not smart enough to understand the importance of context, or whether you're just too lazy. It doesn't really matter. I don't really care.

I don't care myself, CG. Your insults to me fall on deaf ears when you are so obviously screwed into the "I'm gonna defend this guy because liberals seem not to like him" position in your mental yoga class.

I dun give a fuck if we agree, but I do care if you are at least somewhat honest when you try and debate me.

I don't care myself, CG. Your insults to me fall on deaf ears when you are so obviously screwed into the "I'm gonna defend this guy because liberals seem not to like him" position in your mental yoga class.

I dun give a fuck if we agree, but I do care if you are at least somewhat honest when you try and debate me.

Yet again, you are projecting your own prejudices onto others. You do that a lot. Do you realize that?

I defend him because I saw the entire interview - which puts what he said into context. He was not giving an opinion - which was what you criticized him for. He was talking about an emotional response. No one can control their emotional response - a gut reaction as it were. If you were half as smart as you think you are, you would understand that. I bet you have felt emotions that you would prefer not to have felt. Anger at your child that was, with hindsight, disproportional, perhaps, or fallen for someone you shouldn't have, or, just for a split second, 'hated' someone that you really didn't 'hate'. All those are absolutely normal - gut reactions. That is what Juan Williams was talking about. If you watch the whole thing - that's what he says - it's a split second gut reaction - an emotional response to something that you rationally know you shouldn't feel.

Firing someone for a 'gut reaction' - when he has never acted on that emotion - one that he acknowledges is an illogical response.... None of that matters, because you THINK he said something he did not say.

Shame on you for falling for media shit.

And, for your information, most liberals are defending him. It's only the idiots who don't.

Last edited:

Yet again, you are projecting your own prejudices onto others. You do that a lot. Do you realize that?

I defend him because I saw the entire interview - which puts what he said into context. He was not giving an opinion - which was what you criticized him for. He was talking about an emotional response. No one can control their emotional response - a gut reaction as it were. If you were half as smart as you think you are, you would understand that. I bet you have felt emotions that you would prefer not to have felt. Anger at your child that was, with hindsight, disproportional, perhaps, or fallen for someone you shouldn't have, or, just for a split second, 'hated' someone that you really didn't 'hate'. All those are absolutely normal - gut reactions. That is what Juan Williams was talking about. If you watch the whole thing - that's what he says - it's a split second gut reaction - an emotional response to something that you rationally know you shouldn't feel.

Firing someone for a 'gut reaction' - when he has never acted on that emotion - one that he acknowledges is an illogical response.... None of that matters, because you THINK he said something he did not say.

And, for your information, most liberals are defending him. It's only the idiots who don't.

Your presumptiousness is stunning. You know diddly shit more facts than I -- we just draw different conclusions from them.

What nonsense. The wingnuts are expert at projection as demonstrated by her accussing liberals of projection. The wingnut then goes on to project her own childishness on everyone (because wingnuts assume their immaturity is "human nature")

No one can control their emotional response - a gut reaction as it were.

A child couldnt have said it better. But adults know that one can control ones' reactions. Adults do it all the time. But for the childish wingnut, the possibility of controlling oneself is nothing more than an unthinkable fantasy and they project their inadequacies onto the entire population in a pitiful attempt assuage their weak egos.

Anger at your child that was, with hindsight, disproportional, perhaps, or fallen for someone you shouldn't have, or, just for a split second, 'hated' someone that you really didn't 'hate'. All those are absolutely normal - gut reactions.

For the rabid wingnut, life is a series of actions taken without thought. They hate their children and refuse to take responsibility for their own actions. This nut even went so far as to blame "gut reaction" for her poor choices in romantic partners

Imagine the depravity of a woman who hates her own children and thinks her hatred is nothing more than a "gut reaction" beyond her control.

Forum List

Back