If You Were Juan Williams...

Contracts are subject to the intepretation of courts, or due process, if one party believes the other has breached the contract.

Unless you were a stakeholder in GM or Chrysler when Obama grabbed them and rendered your claim worthless, you have remedies.

That's what contract law and courts are for.

Yes, he can sue, but you have yet to explain how NPR violated their contract with him.

It is perfectly legal for an employer to fire an employee because they don't like what he said in public.

That's what contract lawyers are for.

"Should" he sue is a personal question. There's no right or wrong answer; lawsuits are time consuming and energy draining for most litigants. If he can handle that or believes it won't happen to him, then he should if he thinks he has a case.

IMO he has none at all. But I'd take him as a client if he paid fee up front, as long as completely understood I thought this was a non-starter. Some people get a weird emotional satisfaction from suing.

Neither side is likely to have to pay the others' legal fees unless the NPR contract provides for it. Awards of fees against a party who suit is dismissed as frivolous is pretty much exclusively a federal court procedure, not a state one. There are no jurisdictional grounds for a federal lawsuit here.

If I were Juan I would let it go.

NPR has already screwed the pooch and the backlash is hitting them pretty hard with both conservatives and liberals.

Nah. Juan has already made out well. I wouldn't bother. I'd kick NPR to the curb and get on with my life and career. Go Juan.

If I were him, I would join USMB and create a poll "Should I sue or not" and then I would follow the advice of a bunch of people who know jack shit about it.

People in the media have clauses in their contract that allow them to be dismissed for any behavior that their employer feels reflects poorly on them. It's called the "moral clause"

True and a lot of companies also have employment at will statements in them. Basically, the employer or employee can terminate employment at anytime for any reason or no reason at all.

It's just a sad day when telling the truth on how you personally feel about a situation violates some companies "moral clause". Sounds like a contradictory in terms to me.

Forum List

Back