If you were alive in the '70s can you explain what it is I'm seeing here

I'm actually surprised at the quality of the music that they put out on a weekly basis. Sure, it's bubblegum pop but it's pleasant and listenable. I thought it would be just a mishmash of awful musical crap, like when The Mosquitoes visited Gilligan's Island and the girls formed The Honeybees. Listening to that music actually hurt.

Here's another question. I remember from watching I Love Lucy and The Mambo Kings and The Godfather that nightclubs with musical acts took place in rooms with dinner tables and the audience would be drinking at these huge honking tables. You see the same thing in this clip. When did that kind of seating fade from the nightclub scene?

Nightclubs -- or restaurants?

In parts of the upper midwest they have what they call "supper clubs", which sounds a little kinky, but may fit that description, and that goes on today. And I've seen a similar sort of thing in Cape Breton, where food tables are spread out amid continuous music. But they're big on music anyway.

I'm pretty sure that Lucy's husband was a nightclub singer. Wasn't he? I don't think the examples I gave were restaurants, unless dinner was an expected part of the nightclub experience back in those years.

I'm actually surprised at the quality of the music that they put out on a weekly basis. Sure, it's bubblegum pop but it's pleasant and listenable. I thought it would be just a mishmash of awful musical crap, like when The Mosquitoes visited Gilligan's Island and the girls formed The Honeybees. Listening to that music actually hurt.

Here's another question. I remember from watching I Love Lucy and The Mambo Kings and The Godfather that nightclubs with musical acts took place in rooms with dinner tables and the audience would be drinking at these huge honking tables. You see the same thing in this clip. When did that kind of seating fade from the nightclub scene?

In parts of the upper midwest they have what they call "supper clubs", which sounds a little kinky, but may fit that description, and that goes on today. And I've seen a similar sort of thing in Cape Breton, where food tables are spread out amid continuous music. But they're big on music anyway.

I'm pretty sure that Lucy's husband was a nightclub singer. Wasn't he? I don't think the examples I gave were restaurants, unless dinner was an expected part of the nightclub experience back in those years.

I think he was a bandleader (not a singer) in a nightclub.

Can you have dinner in a nightclub? That's why I asked, nightclub or restaurant.

Yes, he was a nightclub singer. :)

I think he was a bandleader (not a singer) in a nightclub.

Can you have dinner in a nightclub?

Babaloo! Right, bandleader. Hey Lucy.

I have no idea if dinner was served in nightclubs. I've never heard of that and I've never seen anything like this in real life.

New Topics

Forum List

Back