If you were a U.S. Senator considering a vote of some sort on O-care ....

What's your response to the question started in the title and finished in the opening post (OP)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
....would you stick your political neck out for a POTUS who has a < 40% approval rating and vote "his way" on a repeal motion -- Obamacare -- that has 13% to 22% favorability among the electorate? Particularly after he called the House version of the bill "mean?"

References:

Last edited:
....would you stick your political neck out for a POTUS who has a < 40% approval rating and vote "his way" on a repeal motion that has 17% favorability among the electorate? Particularly after he called the House version of the bill "mean?"

References:
Our senator says she won't. We'll see if she caves.
Among Republicans, over 80% still support Trump. Don't forget that part.

....would you stick your political neck out for a POTUS who has a < 40% approval rating ...
IF I had been elected as a Senator by my Constituents I would not be such a political douche as you described in these 1st few extremely partisan words. I would no nothing for the soul benefit of the Republican party or the Democratic party. I would remember, as I have done for over 20 years, that I serve the country and what is in the best interest of the United States and the constituents who elected me.

As you demonstrated, snowflakes / too many people see the choices as 'GOP' vs ' DNC', which is large part what is the problem with this country today, as demonstrated perfectly by D-Schumer openly, publicly declaring he and the Democratic Party is committed 100% to shutting down the govt, preventing the GOP and the President from accomplishing anything, for the sole benefit of the Democratic Party, the next 4 years.

Schumer recently 'lambasted' Hillary by declaring if she wants to see who lost her the election she should look in the mirror. He went on to say that the majority of Americans believe the only thing the majority of American people believe the Democratic Party stands for today is 'I Hate Trump'. That is NOT the case. They also believe, because of Schumer's own declaration about the DNC's 100% commitment to ensuring the GOP and President's failure, believe the DNC stands for THE DNC.

....would you stick your political neck out for a POTUS who has a < 40% approval rating and vote "his way" on a repeal motion that has 17% favorability among the electorate? Particularly after he called the House version of the bill "mean?"

References:

I haven't forgotten. Neither is it lost on me that approval ratings at or below ~40%, almost necessarily means that Republican voters and "swayed" Independents are among the people disapproving of a given initiative. Approval ratings in the teens and twenties indicate a material share of Republican voters are among the disapproving.

Why is that so? Because the electorate as a whole consists of about 25% to 30% Republicans.

A political consequence of that is that only GOP representatives in Congress who enjoy very heavily Republican constituencies and electorates cannot get elected solely on the votes of Republicans. Neither can Democrats, but in the matter of O-care repeal, Dems aren't the one's who're in the hotseat.

If one is a GOP Senator or Representative, one can either pass a terrible repeal bill and ill considered replacement, or one can let O-care stand, make the case that what was presented wasn't good enough and/or worse than O-care, and that s/he needs to be sent back to Washington to continue the fight for a better replacement. Seeing as polls indicate the electorate, notwithstanding all the acrimony about O-care, does not favor repealing it, letting it stand is by far the safer political choice. It's the choice that does not call one to as greatly risk one's political neck.

It's amazing how the polls seem to mimic those before the election, yet he still one...

And no, fraud did not elect him.

If I was a Senator, that had run on a platform of repealing
Obamacare, and had won election...It would be a no-brainer
to support the POTUS.

He didn't win the election, in the biggest upset in history, by
just his looks. He had the backing of the people. And the people
in 60% of the states.

to support the POTUS.

in 60% of the states.
He didn't win the election, in the biggest upset in history

I don't care what the papers said. Trump's upset win does not even come close to being the biggest upset in history.

$

That's President-elect Harry Truman holding that newspaper.

They are not going to be able to draft a bill that satisfies the sadism of their base and the actual needs of our health care system. They are not even going to be able to apply needed fixes for the same reason. Their hardcore base wants to see the "mooches" thrown off to die yet the rest of America might think that's a dick move. No one's fault but their own.

I would never be able to be a senator because I would work for the people and we can't have that.

to support the POTUS.

in 60% of the states.

I don't care what the papers said. Trump's upset win does not even come close to being the biggest upset in history.

$

How long ago was this? Even if we say the biggest upset since Harry Truman that's making history. Trump made history in more than one way. So did your candidate. She has the distinction of being the only presidential candidate who by US law was disqualified before she ever ran and the only presidential candidate who ran while under FBI investigation and after losing was STILL under investigation..... Glad I went with President Trump.

to support the POTUS.

in 60% of the states.

$

No. He was already President.

....would you stick your political neck out for a POTUS who has a < 40% approval rating and vote "his way" on a repeal motion -- Obamacare -- that has 13% to 22% favorability among the electorate? Particularly after he called the House version of the bill "mean?"

References:

Unlike Democrats and RINOs I would never cater to the greedy welfare queens.

The government does not need to be involved in health care.

If I was a Senator that would be my convictions and if some greedy asshole didn't like that I wasn't helping them get something for nothing then they don't have to vote for me.

References:

Unlike Democrats and RINOs I would never cater to the greedy welfare queens.

The government does not need to be involved in health care.

If I was a Senator that would be my convictions and if some greedy asshole didn't like that I wasn't helping them get something for nothing then they don't have to vote for me.
I'd like to see a real senator, if such exist, get up and beat the hell out of the others.

to support the POTUS.

in 60% of the states.

$

How long ago was this? Even if we say the biggest upset since Harry Truman that's making history. Trump made history in more than one way. So did your candidate. She has the distinction of being the only presidential candidate who by US law was disqualified before she ever ran and the only presidential candidate who ran while under FBI investigation and after losing was STILL under investigation..... Glad I went with President Trump.
How long ago was this?

You can Google that for yourself.

Even if we say the biggest upset since Harry Truman that's making history.

Were one to say "the biggest upset since Harry Truman," one would be contextually correct enough, even though in the absolute the claim may or may not be accurate, that there'd be little reason for my remarking upon one's having done so. "The biggest upset in history," which is what you wrote, covers a far longer time period than does "biggest upset since Truman" and the scope of that phrase includes all elections, not just presidential ones and, strictly speaking, not just U.S. elections, though the U.S. context here is usually implicit.

References:

I haven't forgotten. Neither is it lost on me that approval ratings at or below ~40%, almost necessarily means that Republican voters and "swayed" Independents are among the people disapproving of a given initiative. Approval ratings in the teens and twenties indicate a material share of Republican voters are among the disapproving.

Why is that so? Because the electorate as a whole consists of about 25% to 30% Republicans.

A political consequence of that is that only GOP representatives in Congress who enjoy very heavily Republican constituencies and electorates cannot get elected solely on the votes of Republicans. Neither can Democrats, but in the matter of O-care repeal, Dems aren't the one's who're in the hotseat.

If one is a GOP Senator or Representative, one can either pass a terrible repeal bill and ill considered replacement, or one can let O-care stand, make the case that what was presented wasn't good enough and/or worse than O-care, and that s/he needs to be sent back to Washington to continue the fight for a better replacement. Seeing as polls indicate the electorate, notwithstanding all the acrimony about O-care, does not favor repealing it, letting it stand is by far the safer political choice. It's the choice that does not call one to as greatly risk one's political neck.

Your position is false!

1. This is a bill to open up discussions and talk about it.

2. Democrats can also offer amendments.

3. Almost every member of the Republican congress ran on repeal, that is what got them elected. If they are afraid, might as well have a Democrat in there.

I promise you that almost every Republican Senator who does NOT vote to open discussion will probably have an opponent in the primary, and in deep red areas, the election IS the primary, not the general; just as it is in deep blue areas.

I always call far lefties phony-baloneys, but here is the deal------------> If the Republican lawmakers only put that repeal bill on Obama's desk because they knew he would never sign it and ran on their bravery and now can NOT do it, then THEY are phony-baloney's and deserve to lose! This bill opens up PUBLIC DEBATE and takes it all out of closed committees. Shouldn't we all know the choices our lawmakers are discussing? Shouldn't the Democrats have a say and make their case too! I think so.

References:
Collins may vote nay on the whole thing. But Maine is an anomaly in that it really is an indep leaning State. But I think overall the gop senators have to vote to repeal Obamacare. Then the question is whether they vote a second time on the "replacement" which is actually Obamacare. My guess is that will not pass. If so, it will be up to the Turtle to find someway to keep people on Medicaid and not end all subsidies, because if he does not he might not increase his maj in 18, and the dems have more states to attack and fewer to defend in 2020

to support the POTUS.

in 60% of the states.

$

No. He was already President.

Actually, he was not. That headline ran on November 3rd, 1948. Truman was inaugurated January 20, 1949. The photo was taken in the early morning hours following the election. In that photo, Truman was, as I wrote, PEOTUS.

If I ran on repealing Obamacare, and even if I didn't, id be pushing all I could to repeal it. Trump being unpopular doesn't change the fact that Obamacare needs to be repealed for the good of our nation

If I ran on repealing Obamacare, and even if I didn't, id be pushing all I could to repeal it. Trump being unpopular doesn't change the fact that Obamacare needs to be repealed for the good of our nation
Be that as it may, I cannot tell whether your response boils down to "yes" or "no" in response to the poll/thread question. You can "push" all you want, and with all your might ,yet not be willing to "stick your neck out," as described in the OP, when bidden to vote in the Senate.

I hope the GOP is not stupid enough to repeal ObamaCare. Because that will cause health care costs to skyrocket even higher, and Trump will have to deal with 60 Democratic Senators and a Democratic majority in the House after 2018.

I think there are enough Republican Senators who know this, and they will vote against repeal.

Of course, the tards will call them RINOs and all sorts of shit. But that is because they are retarded.

Forum List

Back