If you want REAL change to come to Wash DC, here's what you MUST do!

Mustang

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
This message is for everyone. Whether you're liberal, or conservative, or moderate, whether you're Democrat, or Republican, or Independent/Unaffiliated, if you want REAL change to come to our gov't, you MUST vote incumbents out of office.

What that means is that many people will have to vote against their own party. See, here's the problem: Most members get reelected. They're probably in safe districts that are more or less drawn in such a way that any challenger doesn't stand a real chance of unseating an incumbent House member or Senator who's been going back to Wash every 2 or 6 years.

They collect their campaign contributions from their groups. Then they pander for your vote. Then when they go back to DC, they pretty much do what their contributors want them to do because that's why they gave them so much money in the first place.

Now, this movement to vote against incumbents could succeed even if it wasn't a massive success that ended up turning out a majority of House members and Senators who were up for re-election.

And here's how that would work.

Let's say that any particular House member is accustomed to winning his reelection bid by a wide margin (say 15 points or so). And in next years election, he only wins by a margin of 51% to 49%. That's going to scare him but good. He's not going to think that he can continue to get away with his 'business as usual' approach. Now, multiply that sentiment by about 200+ congressmen and women, and maybe you'll get the picture!

Some congressmen want the paycheck. Others want the career. Still others want to retire from there since it only takes 18 years to be fully vested and the retirement benefits are awesome. Others see themselves as moving into a lobbying career after their time in gov't.

So, if YOU, regardless of your political affiliation, want REAL change to come to our gov't, You've got to turn out as many incumbent House members and US Senators as possible.

Otherwise, you're just playing their game which only serves to benefit them at your expense!

It would be nice f there was a VOI (VOTE OUT INCUMBENTS ) movement all over the nation, but who would support PAC movements for such an action? We would need big names to begin the movement and there are no wealthy independents to support such a cause. Hmm..except maybe Trump....

This anti-incumbent movement is good and all but if that is the only issue you are concerned with then it is no more intelligent a voting decision than any silly single issue voter. Vote for the best person no matter if they are brand new or looking for a sixth term. BTW I fail to see how a political newb would be any less corruptible than a career politician, I would think it is easier and cheaper for the lobbyists to sway a naive freshman.

Never works- vote Dem and give them a filibuster-proof majority. Under Dems, the non rich and the country always do better, without scandalous bubbles.... they're due for some help, after 30 years of pandering to greedy Pub rich/corporations.

This anti-incumbent movement is good and all but if that is the only issue you are concerned with then it is no more intelligent a voting decision than any silly single issue voter. Vote for the best person no matter if they are brand new or looking for a sixth term. BTW I fail to see how a political newb would be any less corruptible than a career politician, I would think it is easier and cheaper for the lobbyists to sway a naive freshman.

Voting out incumbents would have a huge impact on the members who would be left (and maybe just barely holding on to their seats by a thread).

It would also tend to shake up the whole notion that large campaign contributions to incumbents will insure their victory. It would put the voters back in the drivers' seat, so to speak.

Voting out incumbents would have a huge impact on the members who would be left (and maybe just barely holding on to their seats by a thread).

It would also tend to shake up the whole notion that large campaign contributions to incumbents will insure their victory. It would put the voters back in the drivers' seat, so to speak.

As long as the media controls ad exposure there can be no real change in the greedy opportunistic people looking to be our next representative or senator. Real lobbying reform would do a lot more to accomplish your goals then simply voting in a motley crew of car salesmen, ex athletes, and lawyers.

As long as the media controls ad exposure there can be no real change in the greedy opportunistic people looking to be our next representative or senator. Real lobbying reform would do a lot more to accomplish your goals then simply voting in a motley crew of car salesmen, ex athletes, and lawyers.

A defeatist attitude is not helpful.

If anything has been learned by the OWS movement AND the protests all across the ME, it's this. The Internet and social media sites (such as Facebook) can be far more powerful than state controlled (or commercially controlled) television.

Forum List

Back