If You Smoke.......

I agree 100% with you, AVG-JOE. If ppl make life-style choices that they KNOW can lead "sooner than later" to chronic illness or death, they have decided to go for it. "Lousy choices, lousy life."

I once heard that living in NYC was equivalent to smoking a pack a day, compared to living in the woods such as myself. Not sure if that was ever true, and if it was, not sure it is anymore due to pollution control efforts.

In any event, let's say it is true. Do you then feel the same for people who choose to live in metropolitan areas?

According to studies, children that grow up in high traffic metro areas have stunted lungs.
and are more prone to asthma, brochitis, etc.

Has someone done the math here? Really, how much will my decades early death save you non-smokers when the National Health Care bomb finally lands in America? :razz:

Meh, screw ya. I have enough "Camel Bucks" to send away for the free Iron Lung anyway.

:lol:

:lol: You're obviously another quitter! Camel bucks, Marlboro miles - All illegal now - Something I happen to agree with.

I agree 100% with you, AVG-JOE. If ppl make life-style choices that they KNOW can lead "sooner than later" to chronic illness or death, they have decided to go for it. "Lousy choices, lousy life."

I once heard that living in NYC was equivalent to smoking a pack a day, compared to living in the woods such as myself. Not sure if that was ever true, and if it was, not sure it is anymore due to pollution control efforts.

In any event, let's say it is true. Do you then feel the same for people who choose to live in metropolitan areas?

According to studies, children that grow up in high traffic metro areas have stunted lungs.

Seriously----can we move on to other habits that just bug the shit out of us. I think we've beaten the sins of smoking and drinking to death.

Well, in theory, we all already get rated based in part on where we live.

Seriously----can we move on to other habits that just bug the shit out of us. I think we've beaten the sins of smoking and drinking to death.

Why do nuns all have habits?

Has someone done the math here? Really, how much will my decades early death save you non-smokers when the National Health Care bomb finally lands in America? :razz:

Meh, screw ya. I have enough "Camel Bucks" to send away for the free Iron Lung anyway.

:lol:

:lol: You're obviously another quitter! Camel bucks, Marlboro miles - All illegal now - Something I happen to agree with.

No I still smoke.

I just still have my Camel Bucks because... because... well I don't know but it's likely the same reason I still collect Mac and Cheese box bottoms (proof of purchase). I was going to order all my college buddies "Cheeseosaurus Rex" t-shirts for Christmas in hte mid-90's but the promotion ended too quick and I've just been patiently waiting for the promotion to return. OK, I admit it, I left college 15 years ago but when that promotion returns it's going to be Cheeseosaurus Rex T-shirts for all my friends and all my extended family gods dammit. (and possibly much of the Cincinnati homeless community) Am I rambling? I think I need another drink.....

Actually complications from obesity is the second cause of deat in america now I think. neck and neck with smoking.

I quit smoking August 23rd 2009. I smoked 4 packs a day and then I gained 70 pounds. I was miserable.

Went to the doctors and they were testing me for sleep apnea and they told me I may have to have a knob inserted in the back of my tongue and I would have to turn it to open my air passage to breath at night.

That did it. I said "Not Happening" and got a pack of cigarettes after that appointment. I'm down to t0 159 from 190 lbs and smoking a pack a day now.

When I was off the cigarettes for a year, I never judged anyone who was still smoking. I knew how hard it was to quit and in time they would find the time and strength that they would quit too. I will get down to an acceptable weight and finally quit for good. But never judge another person.

I was there.

Last edited:
I also feel the same should be said of drinkers...

Yes, it could, especially people who habitually drink to intoxication. But if we go this route, won't we eventually end up designing a rate for each of us that reflects exactly what risky behaviors we engage in...and if we do, how's that any different from putting us on a cash basis?

What about people who have unprotected sex?

Large families?

Don't get flu shots?

This is a list that can go on forever....and we'd all be on it, sooner or later.

Perhaps the best way to insure momma's little bastards in America for basic medical coverage is to have a public bureaucracy like Medicare that we pay for based on the age we CHOOSE to begin coverage.

A true public OPTION.

Doesn't mean private insurers couldn't continue to squeeze unseemly profits from the other-than-basic coverage that momma's little rich bastards will surely demand.

Jackson, there is hope for you. And others as well......

But my life is pretty much over, now that some guy I've never met tells me on a messageboard that he has no sympathy for me because I smoke.

My entire adult life has been built around earning the respect and admiration of the nameless, faceless, cyber-amoeba of the Internets.

I am crushed. Devastated. Forlorn. Numb. Hopeless.

And to think......I was only a day or two away from finishing an actual sized replica of a B-2 Bomber made entirely of toothpicks and chewing gum.....but where's the motivation now? Who will care? I'll just die with a giant toothpick bomber, but no sympathy from the amoebas. Fuck that.

Life is so, so cruel.

If you :smoke:, and you have ANY health issues, you get ZERO sympathy from me and yes, I think you should have to spend more for your health care than I do.

And don't look at me in that tone of voice... I finished 20 years of smoking a little more than 10 years ago - I know EXACTLY how it feels.

Like my daddy used to tell me...

There's no puritan assholes like reformed whores.

I suppose smoking is stupid, Avg-Joe. My kidlet did so for a few years and then quit, much to my delight. (I always assumed if she had not grown up with a mom who smoked, she never would have.) This is not an activity I would encourage anyone to take up.

But I have to balance the distress of quitting against the risks of smoking, and so far -- for me -- smoking wins. Having said that, I again will state I have no argument with those who want to charge me more for the habit via health insurance. I'm not even opposed to uprating people for other risky behaviors (I wouldn't include dog ownership....seems to me, the companionship and the exercise make dog ownership beneficial) but I grow uncomfy with this past a certain point. After all, insurance is about spreading risk, not punishing risk-takers.

Depriving renters of a place to live, ruling that smokers cannot have custody of their children, forcing owners out of their condos, barring people from smoking out of doors, refusing to hire people who smoke or firing the employees who refuse to quit.......these steps I think go too far. After all, smoking is legal.

We just purchased a homeowners policy on a home we bought for an investment, one of the questons asked by the agent in developing the quote was do you or your tenent have Pit Bulls, Doberman Pinscers, Rottweilers. I assume if we had said "yes" the quote would have been higher.

Definitely. At the bottom of the column labeled "Liabilities".

There is no one quite so obnoxious as an ex-smoker.

I just quit smoking a week ago after 35 years (Yeah, it's still a battle. Thank God for Chantix!!). But I hope I never get obnoxious about it.

I cannot take Chantrix.

I tried it for about a week and it definitely helped me not want to smoke as much though.

Unhappily it make me want to kill people, so I elected to quit it before I became an ex-smoker and a felon, too.

Last edited:

But my life is pretty much over, now that some guy I've never met tells me on a messageboard that he has no sympathy for me because I smoke.

My entire adult life has been built around earning the respect and admiration of the nameless, faceless, cyber-amoeba of the Internets.

And to think......I was only a day or two away from finishing an actual sized replica of a B-2 Bomber made entirely of toothpicks and chewing gum.....but where's the motivation now? Who will care? I'll just die with a giant toothpick bomber, but no sympathy from the amoebas. Fuck that.

Life is so, so cruel.

If you :smoke:, and you have ANY health issues, you get ZERO sympathy from me and yes, I think you should have to spend more for your health care than I do.

And don't look at me in that tone of voice... I finished 20 years of smoking a little more than 10 years ago - I know EXACTLY how it feels.

:thanks: I am truly flattered that you all want to make this about ME and MY feelings.

*blush*​

Life is so, so cruel.

:thanks: I am truly flattered that you all want to make this about ME and MY feelings.

*blush*​

I think you did that all on your own in the OP.

There is no one quite so obnoxious as an ex-smoker.

I just quit smoking a week ago after 35 years (Yeah, it's still a battle. Thank God for Chantix!!). But I hope I never get obnoxious about it.

I cannot take Chantrix.

I tried it for about a week and it definitely helped me not want to smoke as much though.

Unhappily it make me want to kill people, so I elected to quit it before I became an ex-smoker and a felon, too.

I get such a kick out of the ads for Chantix. "May cause suicidial thoughts"? And acts, presumably?

But hey, either way....the patient will have quit smoking.

LOL.

Forum List

Back