If you live in the Gulf Coast: BE READY TO EVACUATE

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
gmt4609.gif

gmt3440b.gif

Do you see that big orange/reddish area? It's called an "eddy." It's an area of water that is prone to be very warm. Usually they're small (50 miles in diameter). Sometimes they can get medium sized (over 100 miles). This one shatters all previous records. Basically, if a tropical storm or category 1 hurricane were to move over this warm area of water, it would be like Popeye eating genetically engineered spinach. The storm would fucking explode with strength.

If you live on the Gulf Coast, have everything you need to evacuate, because if something comes your way it isn't going to be small, it isn't going to be weak and it isn't going to be very nice. This hurricane season has been extremely slow in the Atlantic for two reasons:

Anything and everything coming off of Africa has been sheared apart by upper level winds, shearing the tops off of clouds
There is a ton of dry air in the Atlantic Ocean
Dry air + hurricane = fizzle

The problem with this is that a hurricane exists soley as the Atlantic Ocean's exhaust pipe. It build up energy from heat in the Summer and is supposed to release that energy through a hurricane. It hasn't had that chance to, yet, which means whenever the air in the Atlantic stops being so dry and the upper level winds aren't so terrible, we're going to get one monster hurricane.

This hurricane season reminds me PERFECTLY of 1992. There was a sub-tropical storm in 1992 before we started naming them in the same area there was a tropical depression earlier this year during the same month. We have not since even had another tropical depression.

Areas like South Florida on the East Coast and the West Coast are under the gun. In fact, I would say that the potential for another Andrew-like storm to come barreling across South Florida is very high. But if something develops in the GoM, it ain't gonna be pretty and it ain't gonna take too kindly to your house being in the way of its path.

This is the year we ALL need to keep an eye on the tropics... years like this almost always get a big storm that does a lot of damage. It only takes one.

gmt4609.gif

gmt3440b.gif

Do you see that big orange/reddish area? It's called an "eddy." It's an area of water that is prone to be very warm. Usually they're small (50 miles in diameter). Sometimes they can get medium sized (over 100 miles). This one shatters all previous records. Basically, if a tropical storm or category 1 hurricane were to move over this warm area of water, it would be like Popeye eating genetically engineered spinach. The storm would fucking explode with strength.

If you live on the Gulf Coast, have everything you need to evacuate, because if something comes your way it isn't going to be small, it isn't going to be weak and it isn't going to be very nice. This hurricane season has been extremely slow in the Atlantic for two reasons:

Anything and everything coming off of Africa has been sheared apart by upper level winds, shearing the tops off of clouds
There is a ton of dry air in the Atlantic Ocean
Dry air + hurricane = fizzle

The problem with this is that a hurricane exists soley as the Atlantic Ocean's exhaust pipe. It build up energy from heat in the Summer and is supposed to release that energy through a hurricane. It hasn't had that chance to, yet, which means whenever the air in the Atlantic stops being so dry and the upper level winds aren't so terrible, we're going to get one monster hurricane.

This hurricane season reminds me PERFECTLY of 1992. There was a sub-tropical storm in 1992 before we started naming them in the same area there was a tropical depression earlier this year during the same month. We have not since even had another tropical depression.

Areas like South Florida on the East Coast and the West Coast are under the gun. In fact, I would say that the potential for another Andrew-like storm to come barreling across South Florida is very high. But if something develops in the GoM, it ain't gonna be pretty and it ain't gonna take too kindly to your house being in the way of its path.

This is the year we ALL need to keep an eye on the tropics... years like this almost always get a big storm that does a lot of damage. It only takes one.

I'm glad I moved out of Florida...I'll take snow over hurricanes any day...

Plus, it was kind of neat to be able to ride our snowmobiles in Buffalo and the suburbs and look down on the tops of cars...(after we checked to make sure no one was trapped inside)

Blizzard_Bflo77.jpg

Good luck to you and yours David...

Plus, it was kind of neat to be able to ride our snowmobiles in Buffalo and the suburbs and look down on the tops of cars...(after we checked to make sure no one was trapped inside)

Blizzard_Bflo77.jpg

I'm with you, Bfgrn. I live outside Philly and the blizzard of '95-'96 with 30+ inches of snow was awesome. Had to leave the house and move in with the parents for several days due to loss of power but still . . . . it was something. I'll take that over hurricanes any day of the week.

Blizzard_Bflo77.jpg

I'm with you, Bfgrn. I live outside Philly and the blizzard of '95-'96 with 30+ inches of snow was awesome. Had to leave the house and move in with the parents for several days due to loss of power but still . . . . it was something. I'll take that over hurricanes any day of the week.

Especially if mom's a better cook than the wife...LOL

BTW, don't know if you follow hockey, but I see the Flyers let Martin Biron go (signed with the Islanders) ...Marty is a great kid...

Blizzard_Bflo77.jpg

BTW, don't know if you follow hockey, but I see the Flyers let Martin Biron go (signed with the Islanders) ...Marty is a great kid...

Um. . . . I'm the wife! :lol: (see my custom title below my user name). We're both good cooks too. Ok, maybe I'm better . . . I'm way more adventurous when it comes to trying different foods.

Hockey? No. Football? Yes. Fly Eagles Fly!

Um. . . . I'm the wife! :lol: (see my custom title below my user name). We're both good cooks too. Ok, maybe I'm better . . . I'm way more adventurous when it comes to trying different foods.

Sorry...I never pay attention to the Avatar descriptions...

But I'm sure you are the better cook...

Go Bills...

BTW, I saw a lot of Donovan McNabb when he was at Syracuse University... and if you're old enough to remember the "Polish Rifle", Ron Jaworski is from Lackawanna, New York, which is adjacent to South Buffalo, where Tim Russert grew up...

Go Bills...

BTW, I saw a lot of Donovan McNabb when he was at Syracuse University... and if you're old enough to remember the "Polish Rifle", Ron Jaworski is from Lackawanna, New York, which is adjacent to South Buffalo, where Tim Russert grew up...

:lol: I am old enough to remember Jaworski. And I love the Birds, even when they suck. Root, root, root for the home team and all.

Go Bills...

:lol: I am old enough to remember Jaworski. And I love the Birds, even when they suck. Root, root, root for the home team and all.

Well, the Eagles have been pretty good lately...but I know what "even when they suck" means...

As a Bills fan..."hope springs eternal"...

Forum List

Back