If You Live in Portland or Seattle, Hold Onto Your Hats

No doubt that SSDD, Weatherman, and Elektra have no interest in any subject that they cannot make snide political remarks that have nothing at all to do with the subject at hand. Both the eruption of Cascadian volcanoes and a major disaster on the Cascadian subduction zone are a given. When either will happen is the problem. From our experiance with St. Helens, we will get some warnings with the volcanoes. But the Subduction Zone will move with no warning that we are aware of at present. All we can do is make personal preparations and see that our emergency agencies have as much preparations in place as possible.

No doubt that SSDD, Weatherman, and Elektra have no interest in any subject that they cannot make snide political remarks that have nothing at all to do with the subject at hand. Both the eruption of Cascadian volcanoes and a major disaster on the Cascadian subduction zone are a given. When either will happen is the problem. From our experiance with St. Helens, we will get some warnings with the volcanoes. But the Subduction Zone will move with no warning that we are aware of at present. All we can do is make personal preparations and see that our emergency agencies have as much preparations in place as possible.

And yet, just a few posts above, you made light of the warming....saying that this has been going on forever and it is just more of the same...nothing to see here.

Volcano-Erupting-Full-Moon-Public-Domain-460x309.jpg

Major Eruption Imminent? Earthquake Swarms Reported At Mt. Hood, Mt. Rainier And Mt. St. Helens

Seems the plasma chambers of all three are filling up. Does that mean they're going to blow. Or just fill empty space. In spite of all the research, scientists still don't have a real way to estimate possible eruptions.

Scientists assure us that someday Mt. Rainier will experience another massive eruption, and it will be an apocalyptic event unlike anything the northwest United States has ever experienced before. Let us just hope and pray that we have a lot more time until that happens, because nobody should ever want to witness death and destruction on that scale.

Unfortunately, the crust of our planet is becoming increasingly unstable, and the west coast of our country sits directly along the Ring of Fire. It is only a matter of time until a major seismic event strikes, and it may be a lot sooner than a lot of people think.

Story w/pictures @ Major Eruption Imminent? Earthquake Swarms Reported At Mt. Hood, Mt. Rainier And Mt. St. Helens

I think the grip might need to be placed a good bit further south than our chapeaus.

A good evacuation plan - with alternatives, would be an excellent idea for people living within, say, 50 miles of any of these sites.

I wonder what those folks who think god made the planet just for us and wouldn't allow us to fuck it up (by AGW, for instance) think of massive volcanic eruptions in heavily populated areas. Have the folks in the Northwest been particularly naughty? All of them? I hear he IS a vengeful god.

Major Eruption Imminent? Earthquake Swarms Reported At Mt. Hood, Mt. Rainier And Mt. St. Helens

Seems the plasma chambers of all three are filling up. Does that mean they're going to blow. Or just fill empty space. In spite of all the research, scientists still don't have a real way to estimate possible eruptions.

Scientists assure us that someday Mt. Rainier will experience another massive eruption, and it will be an apocalyptic event unlike anything the northwest United States has ever experienced before. Let us just hope and pray that we have a lot more time until that happens, because nobody should ever want to witness death and destruction on that scale.

Unfortunately, the crust of our planet is becoming increasingly unstable, and the west coast of our country sits directly along the Ring of Fire. It is only a matter of time until a major seismic event strikes, and it may be a lot sooner than a lot of people think.

Story w/pictures @ Major Eruption Imminent? Earthquake Swarms Reported At Mt. Hood, Mt. Rainier And Mt. St. Helens
No doubt caused by man.
Why do you say that?

Well, I don't know about Seattle, but we here in Portland have always been naughty. Just had another one of those nude bicycle rides, and I have it on good authority that God doesn't like nudity or bicycles. I still don't understand why she let us be born nude.

No doubt caused by man.
Why do you say that?
Same reason every event in nature that has a negative impact on people is blamed on man.

Well, I don't know about Seattle, but we here in Portland have always been naughty. Just had another one of those nude bicycle rides, and I have it on good authority that God doesn't like nudity or bicycles. I still don't understand why she let us be born nude.
WTF is wrong with you? You feel obligated to show off your nasty ass in public? Something is missing between your ears.

You don't like nude bicycle rides? WTF is wrong with you?

And what do you think should be done about the possibility of a large scale volcanic eruption (with a high VEI) near a populated area?

Do you really think you will get an answer? These 'Conservatives' are very good at screaming, 'Looks a' that, we is all going to die', but very poor at doing anything about a real danger.

There are many cities and towns in the Pacific Northwest with volcanoes within 50 miles of them. And any geologist can tell you that most of them are active. In fact. two cities in Oregon actually have volcanoes within their city limits. But now we have a seismic network pretty well covering the whole area. So we can actually see the danger coming. Getting people to act on that danger will be the problem.

Forum List

Back