If you haven't heard of Kony 2012..

I just watched part of the video of him on the news this morning....so terrible!!! I'm visiting my son at Ft Bragg right now, and he said we need to send in a team of SF. That's what has to happen, they'll find him. How could this go on for so many years and just now we're all hearing about it? Forget the UN...they're WORTHLESS. They only care about helping our enemies in places like Libya. I'll bet too that this Kony isn't the only one doing something like this either.....

Special forces seems right to me. I'm not sure how safe they would be there.
Thanks, concern is muted.

they're in that country more than we know. My son has a VERY good chance of going there one day..he's training now in PSY OPS. Not really excited about that!

The Soft Bigotry of Kony 2012 - Max Fisher - International - The Atlantic
The Soft Bigotry of Kony 2012

The viral video campaign reinforces a dangerous, centuries-old idea that Africans are helpless and that idealistic Westerners must save them.

The backlash against Kony 2012, a super-popular social media campaign to raise awareness about deranged warlord Joseph Kony and his Lord's Resistance Army, has mostly focused on two things. First, the group behind it, Invisible Children, has a poor track record and shady finances; and, second, the campaign's uninformed and almost infantilizing over-simplifications are probably going to do very little beyond raise lots of money and publicity for Invisible Children. But campaigns like this one, and this one especially, can end up doing more harm than good.

[...]

But the damage of Kony 2012 is probably already done, and that damage is real. First, it's likely to actually decrease the amount of help that goes into Central Africa. The video is a joy to watch and spread because it tells Americans that by simply watching a video, and at most maybe buying a $30 "action kit" of wristbands and stickers, they have done all that's necessary; they are absolved of responsibility. How much money has Invisible Children soaked up that could have gone to actually effective campaigns or more experienced NGOs? How many people might have put their energy, which after all is finite, toward something more constructive? As Amanda Taub and Kate Cronin-Furman write, "Campaigns that focus on bracelets and social media absorb resources that could go toward more effective advocacy, and take up rhetorical space that could be used to develop more effective advocacy."

Silly americans and their propaganda.

I don't think that's the way to look at it at all. I don't know shit about the Invisible Children charity or what they are going to do with the money from the kits. But what I do know is the UN and/or international community probably knew all about this guy and did nothing. Uganda doesn't have anything of value like OIL so fuckem right? Who cares if Kony has a million human rights violations under his belt? Should we to expect the UN be fair? It's not America's job to go in and take this guy out, it's the international community's job and we have been collectively slacking off. The Issue is now that we all are aware of Kony and the UN's negligence what are we going to do about it? Are we going to look the other way or hold somebody accountable?

Have you people honestly never heard of this? Various news journal type shows on network TV have run segments about it for almost a decade.

CNN.com - Use of child soldiers on the rise - Aug. 5, 2003

CNN.com - Uganda rebels kill nearly 200 - Feb. 23, 2004

Yuuppp!!!
You got it right KWC!
And Kony's frightmare has been going on for 26 YEARS!!! (duhhh!!!)

It is just NOW chic, for 'social media' types to get their panties in a twist over Kony behind the safety of their keyboards. But it makes for good PC speak at social gatherings if one is on the interwebz train..........:D.

Uses lil' kids as child soldiers and sex slaves...
:eek:
US jets to bolster African search for warlord Kony
Wed, Mar 26, 2014 - HUNTER BEING HUNTED: Joseph Kony is notorious for leading a Ugandan militant group using tactics such as punishment by dismemberment and child sex slavery
The US military is deploying four tilt-rotor transport planes to Uganda in response to African Union requests for airlift support in the hunt for the elusive leader of the violent Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA) extremist group, the Pentagon said on Monday. The US Department of Defense has deployed the four CV-22 Ospreys, which can take off and land vertically, to Uganda from Djibouti along with tanker refueling airplanes, 150 air crew and support personnel, Pentagon spokesman Rear Admiral John Kirby said. “Airlift has been one of the consistent requirements and requests of the African Union. We are in a position now to provide that airlift for a while and we’re going to do it,” Kirby said. “This is very much in keeping with the mission goals at large.”

A 5,000-strong African Union Regional Task Force supported by 100 US Special Operations troops has been hunting warlord Joseph Kony and his LRA fighters, most of whom are thought to be hiding in jungles straddling the borders of the Central African Republic, South Sudan and the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The Osprey jets will be used to help African Union troops respond more quickly to tips on the whereabouts of Kony, whose forces are known for their extreme violence, including chopping off limbs as a form of punishment and abducting young girls for use as sex slaves. The CV-22 Osprey is a Special Operations variant of the aircraft developed for the US Marine Corps and can carry about 24 troops plus their gear.

The Ospreys and four refueling tankers — two C-130s and two KC-135 — will join the 100 US Special Ops troops who have been in Uganda for a year advising and assisting African Union forces involved in the search for Kony. Kirby said the Ospreys would remain in Uganda only a short time before returning to their base in Djibouti, but would likely return periodically to Uganda to help with the effort against Kony. “I think it’s safe to say that these aircraft and these crews will probably redeploy back over time,” Kirby told a Pentagon news conference. “They probably won’t be on the ground for very long, but they’ll be back.”

He said the additional 150 personnel consisted of air crew and maintenance personnel and would travel back and forth between Djibouti and Uganda with the planes. Djibouti is the site of Camp Lemonnier — the only US military base in Africa — which is home to about 2,500 troops who work on building military ties with countries in the region.

US jets to bolster African search for warlord Kony - Taipei Times

Forum List

Back