If You Had Proof of Facebook Using Your Searches For Ads & Posted Something...

Lewdog

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2016
Williamsburg, KY
So if you had an ad for something that shouldn't have been approved as an appropriate ad on Facebook pop up related to searches you have done outside Facebook, would you sue them? Would you consider that an act of abusing the system, or fighting back against a large corporation violating your privacy and not properly monitoring their ads?

Of course Facebook is using your search data for targeting ads. It's not a secret. That's their stated business model. Facebook advertising revenues make up $32 Billion annually, or 99% of their total revenue streams.

facebook has top analytics to target everyone they can, to design their ads for specific demographics. i have a tracker that tells me who is targeting me & i can block them at will. facebook pops up everywhere, including here. hell, who do you think paid facebook in rubles during the last presidential campaign?

russian propaganda ads on facebook - Google Search

^^^
do any look familiar?

So if you had an ad for something that shouldn't have been approved as an appropriate ad on Facebook pop up related to searches you have done outside Facebook, would you sue them? Would you consider that an act of abusing the system, or fighting back against a large corporation violating your privacy and not properly monitoring their ads?

It's social media. Emphasis on the social part. Everything piece of information you volunteer when you are online in one of your little clutches is fair game to them. They write new algorithms every day that get better and better at picking out your likes and dislikes so they can target advertisements to you. That's how they make their money. And I don't have a problem with that. If you are unwise enough to part with personal information on a site that you know is sending data crawlers out every minute to collect information, that's on you. The caveat would come if they were found to be buying outside lists of information from other companies or people that was hacked, stolen, or otherwise illicitly obtained. It may be difficult to discern if that information comes from outside the company, but this is where the law and regulation (yes, yes, I know big government) need to step in.

Of course Facebook is using your search data for targeting ads. It's not a secret. That's their stated business model. Facebook advertising revenues make up $32 Billion annually, or 99% of their total revenue streams.

Yes, but if they are spying on sites you visit outside the Facebook itself is what I am talking about. There was a class action suit about this part of my situation in Europe. The ad that popped up is pretty serious and should never have been approved for Facebook. Let's just say that I was looking at pages that have to do with my Criminology Masters Degree.

facebook has top analytics to target everyone they can, to design their ads for specific demographics. i have a tracker that tells me who is targeting me & i can block them at will. facebook pops up everywhere, including here. hell, who do you think paid facebook in rubles during the last presidential campaign?

^^^
do any look familiar?

Well the issue I am talking about not only includes the privacy intrusion, but the subject matter of the ad that should never have been approved.

It's social media. Emphasis on the social part. Everything piece of information you volunteer when you are online in one of your little clutches is fair game to them. They write new algorithms every day that get better and better at picking out your likes and dislikes so they can target advertisements to you. That's how they make their money. And I don't have a problem with that. If you are unwise enough to part with personal information on a site that you know is sending data crawlers out every minute to collect information, that's on you. The caveat would come if they were found to be buying outside lists of information from other companies or people that was hacked, stolen, or otherwise illicitly obtained. It may be difficult to discern if that information comes from outside the company, but this is where the law and regulation (yes, yes, I know big government) need to step in.

The privacy information did not come from Facebook. It came from searches outside o Facebook that has to do with my Masters Degree.

^^^
do any look familiar?

Well the issue I am talking about not only includes the privacy intrusion, but the subject matter of the ad that should never have been approved.

facebook already stated that they will not stop fake news by refusing to fact check political ads. & those ads will target the desired demographics with probable disgusting material.

this should send chills down anybody's spine who is a facebook user, whether american or european.

Trump hosted secret White House meeting with Facebook CEO
By Justin Wise - 11/21/19 07:29 AM EST

The privacy information did not come from Facebook. It came from searches outside o Facebook that has to do with my Masters Degree.

facebook analytics aren't confined to facebook. whatever you mention here, they & others can use. i suggest looking into who can block them & get one installed. i use 'ghostery'.

Nothing new.

Google and Apple are tracking your every move through your phone, as are your auto insurance carriers with their "safe driving" apps, which are data mining you by tracking your movements, habits, places you visit, etc.

Anyone and everyone that can track you for purposes of either using or selling that data is doing so.

^^^
do any look familiar?

facebook already stated that they will not stop fake news by refusing to fact check political ads. & those ads will target the desired demographics with probable disgusting material.

this should send chills down anybody's spine who is a facebook user, whether american or european.

By Justin Wise - 11/21/19 07:29 AM EST

Not a political ad.

facebook analytics aren't confined to facebook. whatever you mention here, they & others can use. i suggest looking into who can block them & get one installed. i use 'ghostery'.

I run ad blocker and tracker blocker.

Yes, but if they are spying on sites you visit outside the Facebook itself is what I am talking about. There was a class action suit about this part of my situation in Europe. The ad that popped up is pretty serious and should never have been approved for Facebook. Let's just say that I was looking at pages that have to do with my Criminology Masters Degree.

Go ahead and bring a suit against Facebooks ... lawyers need your money.

Forum List

Back