If you grew up in a country where your current religion did not exist

stoor

Rookie
Nov 9, 2004
or was not the predominant religion of the state, do you think you would still follow the religion that you follow today? For example, if you are Christian now but grew up in Thailand do you think you would be Buddhist?

stoor said:
or was not the predominant religion of the state, do you think you would still follow the religion that you follow today? For example, if you are Christian now but grew up in Thailand do you think you would be Buddhist?

I am a Buddhist. So yes, if I grew up in a land where my religion was not the prominent one I would still follow my religion.

You are Buddhist now but let's say that you grew up in a small, southern town where everyone went to church and the community revolved around the church. Do you still think that you would have found and adhered to the teachings of Buddhism?

I know hundreds - perhaps over a thousand - who've done such a thing. Most of these ppl have immigrated from the former Soviet Union. Of those, there are more than a few who have suffered physical harm due to their faith....burns, broken bones, etc..

stoor said:
You are Buddhist now but let's say that you grew up in a small, southern town where everyone went to church and the community revolved around the church. Do you still think that you would have found and adhered to the teachings of Buddhism?

Yes, that is exactly what happened.

I grew up in a strong Pentecostal household in a rather small community. By 10 I realized that I was mouthing platitudes rather than belief. It wasn't until I was in the Military and had a friend that was a Buddhist that I found that spark of excitement that Christians talk about at conversion.

That is very interesting. I just wonder sometimes what it would be like if religion was suppressed until you were 18 or so and then you were introduced to all religion. Alot of times people adhere to a religion and then end up learning about it 20 or 30 years after the fact.

no1tovote4 said:
Yes, that is exactly what happened.

I grew up in a strong Pentecostal household in a rather small community. By 10 I realized that I was mouthing platitudes rather than belief. It wasn't until I was in the Military and had a friend that was a Buddhist that I found that spark of excitement that Christians talk about at conversion.

stoor said:
That is very interesting. I just wonder sometimes what it would be like if religion was suppressed until you were 18 or so and then you were introduced to all religion. Alot of times people adhere to a religion and then end up learning about it 20 or 30 years after the fact.

...an equal number of times, people are very ANTI-God, until they get older. Kids think it's cool to rebell - against the law, church, parents, etc. It's not until kids mature they find out they don't know it all. :)

stoor said:

It is hard to disappoint your parents when you realize how hard it was for them to raise you and teach you what they believe. If most people were raised in a religion-free environment I think it would be more likely for people to be interested intellectually but not see the spiritual picture. Many would convert once they understood that particular aspect. I don't think you would find one religion that in particular they all would convert to though.

Forum List

Back