If you could, would you?

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
If you had an opportunity to go back to a certain age and start over again, would you?

I would like to play football for my high school and I know I would have excelled. I was too shy to approach the girls and now that I know they don't bite or spread the cooties I would like to try again. There are friends of mine that have since passed that I would like to spend more time with. My grades were good enough to get into a top university but I failed to properly pursue my education. I wouldn't mind having a second chance at going to college and staying in a dorm that has a lot of parties.

On the other hand, how would it affect the good memories that you have? Would I still be married? Would I still have a son? Would I be working in a field that I love?

I also have lots of regrettable memories that couldn't hurt to erase. A couple of incidents with the law, bad things I've done to friends, lots of illicit materials entering my body....

You know what? Fuck it, there my memories for good and bad and I'm keeping them!

I'll probably be dead before I hit 50. If I did things over and didn't live like a nut sometimes I would probably live well over 70. I'm sticking with what little I've done in life and dying respectfully, or while I'm partying. :)

You should never regret your mistakes - there's always something positive that happens from them, beit knowledge, experience, new friends, or whatever...

Or stitches in the back of one's head when they try to play superman on the neighbor's fence.

i have thought of this many times. if i had pursued my education like i often wish I had, I wouldn't have joined the Army, went to Korea, met my wife and then fell in love with her and the idea of international business.... hmmmm, i guess that though I have made mistakes, there isn't much I would change. All of it is part of growing.

As for my education, I often tell folks that the degree is the one I earned from "The School of Hard Knocks".

I have always regretted not going on to college, but in high school, I just thought I was much too cool to get that deep into books! Although my marriage didn't work out, it did produce 4 wonderful children. Yes, there were many times (and still are) that I would gladly kick their butts, but they have been my world for so long and have given me 8 beautiful grandchildren, so I don't think I would like to change anything. Even with all the teasing that goes on here, I wouldn't trade my kids for anything - they may not be all geniuses, or college graduates, but they have more heart than many, many people I've known, and have brought me more happiness that I feel sometimes that I deserve. And now that that little speech is out of the way, the ground rules for Christmas are as follows: there will be no ball throwing, no food fights, and no egg tosses.

Dang.. You're a pushover.. Yesterday, they weren't GETTING a Christmas. :D

Sir Evil said:
That usually occurs about three times within a month of Christmas! :D

My mom woulda stuck to it.. Think yours will adopt me?

jimnyc said:
If you had an opportunity to go back to a certain age and start over again, would you?
I think this alot, but of course with these things it's impossible to know for sure, but I think had I known what would have happened five years and four months after I graduated from high school, I probably would have applied to the USMA at West Point.

Other than that I would have done everything slightly differently.

Now and then I wish I did things differently growing up. If I did better in school, joined more sports, went to college.......

But then I remind myself, if I did better in school and went to college, I wouldn't have met hubby, moved to Chicago, got pregnant (without Chicago I would never have had children) with twins (my hearts :D), joined a twins message board, became political (because the message board), found this message board, and met all of you!

See, everything happens for a reason :D

I would not have been such a brat when I was younger.
I would have taken my head out of the books a bit and dated in high school so I would be better prepared for the real world of relationships.
I would have picked a better college that I didn't have idealogical issues with and earned my degree.

Of course, instead, I now feel guility over being a brat and not returning the love and gifts given to me by so many in my family that are no longer on this Earth. I now have really bad relationship issues, because I was not and basically still am not knowledgeable and understanding of relationships and love (for myself) to be successsful. And I'm in the navy, without a degree... but I am a member of USMB and being here has helped me give up my antiquated, inaccurate views of many things and see the clarity of reason. So at least I'm sort of a conservative now. That counts for something.

jimnyc said:
I know they don't bite :)
well we can only wish they do anyway!

but i think everyone has memories that they would rather forget. and some they would want to do over. but like you said, they are mine and ill keep them. besides some shits jsut to hard to do over :puke:

There are certainly things I would like to take back.. mostly bad relationships.

At the same time, I would have loved to date a few people that I didn't date, for whatever reason.

But I'm happy that I ended up with my wife, and my career.

I have only two things I would change if I could. Both decisions changed my life. I have often wondered if I had made different decisions where I would be in my life now.

I wouldn't take anything back, I would be too afraid that one little change would change too much in the now.

Life just gets better as it keeps going. No way I wan't to change what I have now.

no1tovote4 said:
I wouldn't take anything back, I would be too afraid that one little change would change too much in the now.
Ahhh, anyone see Butterfly Effect?? :tinfoil:

Forum List

Back