If you could choose your parties next candidate

I'm surprised no one said "Well, ME, obviously." Heh.

Anyway, the choice is obvious. We go with the re-animated corpse of Hunter S. Thompson, with Noam Chomsky as his VP.

I understand the risk of putting such huge egos together on a ticket, but I'm fairly confident that Thompson could resist his liberal gun-nut urges and they would have at least four years of peace in the white house, if not eight.

Ah, but the real fun is in trying to imagine what kind of cabinet such a pair would put together. Lewis Lapham would certainly have to be secretary of something...perhaps the Office of Federal Magazine Editing...and we can be confident that Johnny Depp would become an informal advisor to the President...

I think it's pretty much a given, if Obama can't beat McCain this year, the Democrats will run Hillary in 2012. And I'm okay with that.

I see Huckabee and Romney taking a stab at the Republican nomination again in 2012 if Obama wins, or in 2016 if McCain does win. They're both still relatively young politicians. I'd like to see Romney try again. I'm not sure what people didn't like about that guy, but Huckabee sure played the Nader roll really well in that primary - running just to keep votes away from Romney.

I think it's pretty much a given, if Obama can't beat McCain this year, the Democrats will run Hillary in 2012. And I'm okay with that.
If Obama wins, he'll be the nominee in 2012. There are some who think Clinton is kneecapping Obama so he will lose in November, and she can get the nod in 2012, when she turns 65.

If Clinton has to wait until 2016, she'll be almost as old as McCain is now. At age 69, she may be too old. And maybe she doesn't want to deal with all of the "69" jokes that are sure to come up at that time.

Originally Posted by jillian
People who are "left of center" don't push abstinence only programs.

They in fact often attribute encouragement of abstinence as a tool of the 'fanatical religious right' and scorn it as a component of what comprehensive sex education should be.

people who are "left of center" don't oppose reproductive choice.

They do often scorn those who believe abortion is the ending of a human life and hold in contempt any who would presume to counsel a mother to allow her baby life.

people who are "left of center" don't try to create unitary presidencies.

They do seem to often set the bar very low for what is considered tolerable in their elected leaders in favor of more and more socialized everything that chips away at personal integrity, responsibility, accountability, creativity, and self reliance.

people who are "left of center" don't cut taxes during wartime.

From what I can see, they don't cut taxes ever. They in fact feel righteous when they can take as much of my hard earned money as they can get and give it to somebody who never earned anything.

People who are "left of center" don't eviscerate whistleblowers rights.

Unless the whistleblower happens to be right of center in which case he or she is mean spirited, hateful, and/or acting out of ulterior motives. (The double standard is quite alive and well in such matters.)

People who are "left of center" don't wage unnecessary wars of choice.

I suppose we can safely assume then that the last 'left of center' administration didn't choose to bomb Bosnia, invade Haiti, invade Somalia, and bomb targets in Iraq as well as baby milk factories and aspirin factories in Yeman and elsewhere, all without consultation of and receiving the go ahead from Congress by the way.

Ummmmmm... where's the left of center thing?

"Left of Center" puts faith in big government rather than in the people to order their own lives. "Right of Center" won't give up personal freedoms and independence so willingly.

They in fact often attribute encouragement of abstinence as a tool of the 'fanatical religious right' and scorn it as a component of what comprehensive sex education should be.

That's because it is. And it's been proven to be a failure. Maybe the right likes to continue failed policies like abstinence only and the Iraq war... and maybe the left finds such intransigence absurd.

They do often scorn those who believe abortion is the ending of a human life and hold in contempt any who would presume to counsel a mother to allow her baby life.

No...the scorn people who try to impose those beliefs on them by taking away THEIR right to choose. The left of center figure the christian conservatives can do whatever they like on the subject.

They do seem to often set the bar very low for what is considered tolerable in their elected leaders in favor of more and more socialized everything that chips away at personal integrity, responsibility, accountability, creativity, and self reliance.

Set the bar low? The left didn't vote for the worst president in our history...that was the right. Other than that, I'm not certain what the above has to do with unitary presidency.

From what I can see, they don't cut taxes ever. They in fact feel righteous when they can take as much of my hard earned money as they can get and give it to somebody who never earned anything.

Okie dokie...and the right didn't take your hard-earned money by running their business on the national credit card at exorbitant interest rates which we now owe to china? puleeze...after this last 7+ years, no one on the right has any business talking about fiscal responsibility, particularly when they continue to spent on a useless and unnecessary and pointless war of choice.

Unless the whistleblower happens to be right of center in which case he or she is mean spirited, hateful, and/or acting out of ulterior motives. (The double standard is quite alive and well in such matters.)

What are you talking about??? The office of special counsel is NOT allowed to sabotage whistleblowers ... you are aware that's what they just got raided for, by the FBI, right? (you know, that bastion of leftwing thought).

I suppose we can safely assume then that the last 'left of center' administration didn't choose to bomb Bosnia, invade Haiti, invade Somalia, and bomb targets in Iraq as well as baby milk factories and aspirin factories in Yeman and elsewhere, all without consultation of and receiving the go ahead from Congress by the way.

I'm not going to get into each of those, but I can tell you they didn't cost us 3 trillion dollars.... and weren't pretend wars of choice.

"Left of Center" puts faith in big government rather than in the people to order their own lives. "Right of Center" won't give up personal freedoms and independence so willingly.

People who think their morality should be legislated have no business talking about freedom from governmental interference (so run along and support another abstinence only program on my dime...)

People who are left of anything DO tend to exaggerate and attempt to appeal to emotion.

Really?

Like posting pictures of aborted fetuses?...oh wait thats the right.

Like saying how gay marriage will lead to us all fucking donkeys?...oh wait thats the right.

Like saying we better invade Iraq before we see the mushroom cloud?...oh wait thats the right.

No, they scorn it as the ONLY component. Not teaching about Condoms is a retarded idea thats been disproven over and over again.

And the right calls the left baby killers.

Umm, what? Your mixing up what is tolerable in elected leaders and policies.

Or build you roads so you can get to work. Or pay for firefighters or cops to protect you.

No, we don't think taxes should be cut when our deficit is huge. You pay your debts, not foist them onto your children.

Like the Patriot act? Like giving immunity to telecoms who may have spied illegally on Americans? Like those who want more and more papers and documents we need to show for rights like voting?

Really?

Like posting pictures of aborted fetuses?...oh wait thats the right.

Like saying how gay marriage will lead to us all fucking donkeys?...oh wait thats the right.

Like saying we better invade Iraq before we see the mushroom cloud?...oh wait thats the right.

Actually SHogun posted that, and guess what Larkinn? He is Left not right.

As for Gay Marriage, you bare aware that a huge number of YOUR party are against Gay Marriage as well? So much so they vote against it.

And I guess the over 100 Democrats that voted to approve our invasion of Iraq were really right wing plants?

Thats debatable.

As for Gay Marriage, you bare aware that a huge number of YOUR party are against Gay Marriage as well? So much so they vote against it.

And I guess the over 100 Democrats that voted to approve our invasion of Iraq were really right wing plants?

Retard. I wasn't saying that only Republicans are for those issues, I was saying that Republicans emotionalize those issues.

He's far from left. He's just a moron.

well this thread deteriorated quickly. how disappointing. i guess there weren't enough threads that were filled with rants and insults about whether it is better to label yourself a 'liberal' or 'conservative.' it's starting to look like people don't care who runs the country as long as they can yell at the people who voted differently than they did.

thanks for those who responded with the threads intent in mind.

If Obama wins, he'll be the nominee in 2012. There are some who think Clinton is kneecapping Obama so he will lose in November, and she can get the nod in 2012, when she turns 65.

Which is probably true, and I'm okay with that too.

Clinton is a Democrat, but that doesn't mean she has to support every Democrat. She has a right not to like someone, even if they do belong to the same party she belongs to. If she doesn't want him to be President, she, just like you and I, has every right to do what she can to stop that.

If she ran as McCain's VP, I'd love the irony. A good slap in the face to all the Democrats who think Obama is a sure thing.

If she doesn't want him to be President, she, just like you and I, has every right to do what she can to stop that.

Well, thank God we've got selfless people like Hillary Clinton, willing to risk her reputation with the party to fight for what she thinks is right, and stop the wrong person from becoming president! (Never mind that her selling out the Dems could elect McCain, who's far more politically different from her than Obama...)

Forum List

Back