If you can remember watching a black and white television

A nickel?

We had to do it for free
Up in our NE Ohio middle class neighborhood, I learned how to bribe my parents at an early age. ( 60's and 70's)
Leaf Raking $10
Snow shoveling $10 to $20 (depending on how deep)
Mowing $15
Washing the car $5

The other normal chores my 2 younger brothers and I 'had to do', like cleaning our rooms, picking up toys, helping with dishes ...
I used to get 25 cents a week

like circa 1955? how many baseball packs did you buy>
I remember baseball cards associated with bubble gum. I never collected them but I think they were packaged with double bubble or something like that.

VIVIDLY----something like 4 or 5 cards and a
pink rectangle of---BAZOOKA like bubble gum----5 cents. All the boys bought them---now they are worth a FORTUNE----my mom threw them away------even the Mickey Mantle card
I threw them away without ever looking at them. There're probably worth a fortune today.

Up in our NE Ohio middle class neighborhood, I learned how to bribe my parents at an early age. ( 60's and 70's)
Leaf Raking $10
Snow shoveling $10 to $20 (depending on how deep)
Mowing $15
Washing the car $5

The other normal chores my 2 younger brothers and I 'had to do', like cleaning our rooms, picking up toys, helping with dishes ...

I remember baseball cards associated with bubble gum. I never collected them but I think they were packaged with double bubble or something like that.

pink rectangle of---BAZOOKA like bubble gum----5 cents. All the boys bought them---now they are worth a FORTUNE----my mom threw them away------even the Mickey Mantle card
I threw them away without ever looking at them. There're probably worth a fortune today.
Not as much as they were in the 90 s

Unless it is a rare card, you might as well throw them away

I find the TV Western era which ran from the late 40's to the mid 60's interesting. It peaked in 1959 with an incredible number 30 western series running every week. By the end of the 60's they were almost all gone with the exception of some modern day series set in the west.

Almost all these westerns were set during the Indian Wars from the 1860 to 1880. They had such an impact on our culture that millions of American grew up believing that they accurately portrayed the "old west." when in fact most of them were so fictions they bordered on fantasy.
Same goes for the movies

It wasn’t till Blazing Saddles that we got an accurate depiction of the west
I was reading a book not long ago that said in the entire history of the old west, there is no record of a duel on main street in any western town, probably due to the fact that most of these people were the scum of earth and had no interest in giving the other guy a fair chance. They shot'em in the back, beat their brains with clubs, run them down wagons and horses. The real Wyatt Earp in an interview when he was an old man was asked what method did you prefer for taking down a killer. He told the reporter he like to sneak up behind them and club them in the head.

With all that, I have to admit Gunsmoke remains one of my favorite western series.

James Arness in his Matt Dillion role killed 407 people, more than all lawmen in the west combined during that period.
/——/ My Baptist friends in school weren’t allowed to watch Gun Smoke because Miss Kitty ran a whore house. Some watched anyway.
In those days, the 1950's nobody ran a whorehouse in a TV program. They did not exist. Miss Kitty's girls were all there just there to encourage the cowboys to drink. In the real west they certainly would have been prostitutes. However, Gunsmoke was not about the real west. The reason Gunsmoke got bad press was the violence. It was one of the targets of a congressional committee investigating violence on TV.

wrong---not all bar girls were whores. The issue was something like GEISHA-----
Most were whores
You didn’t last long otherwise

Cowboys and miners had money to spend. They didn’t want to spend on looking

Not as much as they were in the 90 s

Unless it is a rare card, you might as well throw them away
Geddy Lee went around and bought all the good ones.

Same goes for the movies

I was reading a book not long ago that said in the entire history of the old west, there is no record of a duel on main street in any western town, probably due to the fact that most of these people were the scum of earth and had no interest in giving the other guy a fair chance. They shot'em in the back, beat their brains with clubs, run them down wagons and horses. The real Wyatt Earp in an interview when he was an old man was asked what method did you prefer for taking down a killer. He told the reporter he like to sneak up behind them and club them in the head.

With all that, I have to admit Gunsmoke remains one of my favorite western series.

James Arness in his Matt Dillion role killed 407 people, more than all lawmen in the west combined during that period.
/——/ My Baptist friends in school weren’t allowed to watch Gun Smoke because Miss Kitty ran a whore house. Some watched anyway.
In those days, the 1950's nobody ran a whorehouse in a TV program. They did not exist. Miss Kitty's girls were all there just there to encourage the cowboys to drink. In the real west they certainly would have been prostitutes. However, Gunsmoke was not about the real west. The reason Gunsmoke got bad press was the violence. It was one of the targets of a congressional committee investigating violence on TV.

Most were whores

oh---OUT WEST----like Kitty. I meant in the east----great aunt of
mine was a kind of bar girl------divorced with two sons----physically injured but beautiful face--------all she had to do was talk to men as
they drank themselves into a stupor-----she could probably not have
done whore stuff even if she wanted to-----some bad burns on her body (acid)-------bar girl of the bar fly type.......hostess??

Same goes for the movies

Most were whores

When I was a kid, I had boxes and boxes of commie books. When I went off to college, my Mom ask what to do with these boxes and told her to throw them away. That I certainly do regret because I had my brothers collection which went back to the mid 30's.

Most were whores

When I was a kid, I had boxes and boxes of commie books. When I went off to college, my Mom ask what to do with these boxes and told her to throw them away. That I certainly do regret because I had my brothers collection which went back to the mid 30's.
/——/ That’s why the ones left are so valuable. My mom didn’t ask just decided to clear out my closet when I was at school one day. Late 50s and early 60s Superman.

Most were whores

mine was a kind of bar girl------divorced with two sons----physically injured but beautiful face--------all she had to do was talk to men as
done whore stuff even if she wanted to-----some bad burns on her body (acid)-------bar girl of the bar fly type.......hostess??
Well, all of Miss Kitty's girls just got paid to sit around with the guys and drink. What was it? 5 cents for a beer and 25 cents for a shot.

Most were whores

Well, all of Miss Kitty's girls just got paid to sit around with the guys and drink. What was it? 5 cents for a beer and 25 cents for a shot.
/——/ Watch a few episodes of Hell on Wheels

Most were whores

That looks interesting. Where do you find it?

Most were whores

Hell on Wheels (TV Series 2011–2016) - IMDb

Most were whores

/—-/ It’s a gritty account of the Transcontinental Railroad and the people who built it.

/—-/ It’s a gritty account of the Transcontinental Railroad and the people who built it.
I found it on Amazon Prime. I'll give it a try.

Forum List

Back