If You Can Believe This................

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Cammmpbell, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Cammmpbell

Cammmpbell Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +517
    .................right here amidst the bible belt today I watched a really touching "Jesus Ad." Yes sport's fans the church is having to resort to TV commercials in the southern United States. I'm in east Tennessee.

The church supported infant baptism for a thousand years. When most of the public rejected the concept that an innocent child might go to hell they stopped. The scripture is still there.

They hunted, tortured and murdered witches for thousands of years but when the general population found out there was no such thing as witchcraft...they stopped doing harm to innocent young women. The scripture is still there.

The church supported and sometimes accomodated slavery for more than 5000 years but when it was no longer in the vogue they stopped. The scripture is still there.

The bible is written with the submission of women as a sub plot. The church supported that for thousands of years but about the time the civil rights act was passed in 1965 they shut up about it. The scripture is still there.

Gays have never been accepted by any church. They have been placed at the bottom of civilized mankind's totem pole but recently some churches have supported inviting them into their congregations. The scripture is still there.

To anyone who is so thick that they cannot see that the church will do or say anything in order to keep folks dropping around on Sunday mornings...I'm sorry for you.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  2. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,707
    Sounds like to me after I read you OP that maybe you should spend a little more time in church...

3. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,688

My gosh but you are one angry person aren't you. Heres the deal, the only person you can control is you. If you feel such hatred for religious folks, then just ignore them, or I fear we will be reading about you and your mass killing in the newspaper someday

4. Cammmpbell

Cammmpbell Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +517
    I was baptized before a congregation of nearly 1000 on a spring morning in 1957. I lived in the church until I was over sixty years old. I taught Sunday school, worked with RA boys, belonged to the Brotherhood, worked with the building committee, went on religious retreats, helped with vacation bible school in the summers, visited the sick on Tuesday evenings, attended prayer meeting on Wednesdays, we tithed our gross and gave special gifts to drives like Lottie Moon etc. I used to look around the sanctuary on Sunday mornings and wonder...do those people really believe that the almighty creator of the universe dropped by during the stone/bronze age and left the only keys to the kingdom with a mob of ignorant sheep herders who believed in witches and thought the earth was flat?

One more thing...I was draft age then and after I had essentially memorized the new testament, chapter and verse and was giving testimony in small towns close by as a routine part of my church activities the pastor offered to get me ordained as a Baptist minister so I could stay home. I went into the army infantry.

5. Tech_Esq

Tech_Esq Sic Semper Tyrannis!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +558
    Never trust a Campbell.

There's about 1,000 years of history to support that admonition.

6. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    Sounds like he skipped school a lot too.

7. Cammmpbell

Cammmpbell Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +517
    LOL! Witchcraft, slavery and the submision of women? What support.

Face it...the youngsters arer smarter than we used to be...the worship of ancient gods is on the way out..............OUT!! Brainwashing youngsters may not work much longer.

8. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    No one gives a shit about your life story.

Just sayin'.

9. Cammmpbell

Cammmpbell Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +517
    Yeah and I don't give a shit whether or not you give a shit...Just saying.

One thing's for sure...anybody who actually believes in virgin birth, healing leprosy by touching, walking on water, turning water into wine, raising from the dead, feeding 5000 hungry men plus women and children who also ate with two fish and five loaves...then gathering 12 baskets of leftovers, hanging a man on a tree and bleeding him to death only to see him fit as a fiddle two days later................................is major off their course!!

10. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Women being submissive is still in the southern Baptist rules.