If You are Pro-Choice, can You be a Conservative?

If you are pro-choice, can you be a conservative?

• Yes

Votes: 31 88.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 11.4%

• Total voters
I actually did a study on that back in the sixties for a pro abortion speech I was giving in college. I doubt the number of deaths due to abortions have declined a bit since 1966. For one thing we seem to be having about 10 times as many abortions now as we did before and for another. we just tried to pass a law that would have subjected abortion clinics to the same saftety checks as any other out patient surgery facility and the abortion providers fought it tooth and toe nail. Why are they objecting to such common sense legislation?

may because more than a few of them have something to hide beside a few dead infants? Like perhaps a few more dead mothers than they like us to know about?

Her intro got me wondering. She claims to be a conservative and and is pro-choice. In most western nations, you can be a conservative and be pro-choice. But what about America?

Can you be pro-choice and be a conservative?
How are we defining 'conservative' for the purposes of this discussion/question?

Roe v. Wade being bad interpretation of constitutional law = Conservative.

Ergo abortion law should be left to the states, irregardless of their end policies = Conservative.

Abhorring federal law over what is clearly a states powers issue = Conservative.

Swaying people through reason rather than compulsion = Conservative.

I'm sorry, but I can't let that one go...

Actually, you're simply not smart enough to see it

Not hard to see how such a simpleton could think that there's not, given your inability to understand anything but the most most basic of characterizations of ideologies

I'll give you a hint, a 'consistent fiscal conservative' with no other interests would not support choice in this matter any more than giving the Fed the choice on whether to add a few more earmarks ;)

We have a new member to USMB.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/health-and-lifestyle/79492-pro-choice-conservative.html

I would like to welcome boxcargirl to this little corner of the Internet.

Her intro got me wondering. She claims to be a conservative and and is pro-choice. In most western nations, you can be a conservative and be pro-choice. But what about America?

Can you be pro-choice and be a conservative?

I would argue that you CANNOT be a Conservative and NOT be pro choice.

A Conservative is against a more intrusive and powerful government, against expanded spending, against laws that unduly limit or coerce private individual actions and against the idea that government should be interwoven into the fabric of an individual's life.

Being pro-life demands that all of these things happen.

Fewer laws and greater freedom = Conservatism.

Seems to me that the basic premise of American conservatism is to KEEP THE GOVERNMENT OUT OF ISSUES THAT AREN'T THEIR BUSINESS.

If that is the case then one cannot possible be a real American conservative if one wants to grant the government the right to decide what a woman does with her own womb.

I look at the conservative team and the liberal team and I don't see either as being truly conservative or liberal, folks.

I see them as nothing more than opposing teams vieing for power who had taken sides on current issues which are often entirely inconsistent with what they CLAIM to stand for.

The right to control one's own body is about as CONSERVATIVE a principle as one can find.

Yet the so-called, self proclaiming conservatives mostly do NOT support that principle, either in the abortion issue OR the drug issue OR in the homosexuality issue.

You guys aren't conservatives, you are merely people who want to control people according to you own value systems.

That's not American conservatism, that's merely authoritarianism by another name.

And YES, the so called liberals are likely mostly merely AUTHORITARIANS, only their transgressions are typicall against personal freedom on a slightly different set of issues.

They likewise think that they have the right to tell people what to do with their bodies, their land, their money, and these so called liberals also like to think they have the right to tell people what to to THINK, too.

A pox on both these houses filled with lying hypocrites who do not stand for what they claim to stand for.

And a pox on you clueless partisans who are either so stupid, or so decietful that you support these anti-American authoritarian criminals.

This is why I am not already a revolutionary, ya' know.

There aren't enough people in this land who really understand what freedom really means (in a civil society) to make a revolution worth my time.

If the far right took over we'd live in a right wing version of hell and if the left took over we'd have a left wing version of hell.

But mark my words, none of us would like the outcome regardless of which set of idiots took over.

I clearly need to start my own nation.

I need one no less that Willian Joyce needs one, or no less Agna needs one, only mine wouldn't look remotely like either of theirs.

Where is Teddy Roosevelt when we really need him?

Last edited:
The right to control one's own body is about as CONSERVATIVE a principle as one can find.

It's not your body that you're killing; you cannot avoid that scientific fact with all the propaganda and spin in the world

The protection of basic human rights is the most very basis of conservatism. As all rights rest on the right to exist and live, it is the very core of a conservative platform or ideology

Yet the so-called, self proclaiming conservatives mostly do NOT support that principle, either in the abortion issue OR the drug issue OR in the homosexuality issue.

The first acts to end the life of another individual. The latter two do not directly effect any other individual. That is the difference

Actually, I'm smart enough to realize that there isn't one. It also doesn't require very much brainpower to understand why an observer like you would think that there's one. ;)

Aggie is a man who knows his reason confirms the infallibility of his intellect.

He would have made a great Pope.

The first acts to end the life of another individual. The latter two do not directly effect any other individual. That is the difference

And yet the so-called conservatives have made the U.S. one of the few places in the world where that choice is a political issue.

And you say it's an individual...others disagree. And I think that's the point.

Forum List

Back