If We Have Nearly 1.5 Million People in the US Armed Forces..

You obviously never served.

Besides there is this little law called Posse Comitatus. I would love to see it changed for certain restricted areas near the borders.

• Banned

Besides there is this little law called Posse Comitatus. I would love to see it changed for certain restricted areas near the borders.

There is a law that prevents the US Armed Forces from being used to protect the United States from invading foreigners?

There is a law that prevents the US Armed Forces from being used to protect the United States from invading foreigners?

There is a law , which Ollie names, which prevents US military forces from operating within US borders, yes. The Coast Guards are permanently exempt, and the National Guard does not fall under the law, but regular military , yes.

Somebody needs to man the border. all the obie wan asswipes can do is mount fucking lawsuits.

There is a law , which Ollie names, which prevents US military forces from operating within US borders, yes. The Coast Guards are permanently exempt, and the National Guard does not fall under the law, but regular military , yes.

Too bad all our National Guard troops are in Iraq guarding their borders.

I don't know that I think the military should be there, but at the very least the border patrol should be militarized in both their training and their weaponry.

that's the fucking truth, why doesn't obie asswipe bring em home like he promised.

• Banned

Yes, but how many times has the law been broken? Anybody remember Rodney King and the use of US troops in LA?

A summary of key exceptions to the Posse Comitatus Act follows:

• National Guard forces operating under the state authority of Title
32 (i.e., under state rather than federal service) are exempt from
Posse Comitatus Act restrictions.

• Pursuant to the presidential power to quell domestic violence,
federal troops are expressly exempt from the prohibitions of
Posse Comitatus Act, and this exemption applies equally to
active-duty military and federalized National Guard troops.

• Aerial photographic and visual search and surveillance by military
personnel were found not to violate the Posse Comitatus
Act.

• Congress created a “drug exception” to the Posse Comitatus Act.
Under recent legislation, the Congress authorized the Secretary
of Defense to make available any military equipment and personnel
necessary for operation of said equipment for law enforcement purposes. Thus, the Army can provide equipment, training, and expert military advice to civilian law enforcement agencies as part of the total effort in the “war on drugs.”

• Use of a member of the Judge Advocate Corps as a special assistant
prosecutor, while retaining his dual role in participating in
the investigation, presentation to the grand jury, and prosecution,
did not violate Posse Comitatus Act.

• The Coast Guard is exempt from Posse Comitatus Act during
peacetime.

• Although brought under the Act through DoD regulation,
described above, the Navy may assist the Coast Guard in pursuit,
search, and seizure of vessels suspected of involvement in drug
trafficking.
http://www.rand.org/pubs/monograph_reports/MR1251/MR1251.AppD.pdf

A summary of key exceptions to the Posse Comitatus Act follows:

• National Guard forces operating under the state authority of Title
32 (i.e., under state rather than federal service) are exempt from
Posse Comitatus Act restrictions.

• Pursuant to the presidential power to quell domestic violence,
federal troops are expressly exempt from the prohibitions of
Posse Comitatus Act, and this exemption applies equally to
active-duty military and federalized National Guard troops.

• Aerial photographic and visual search and surveillance by military
personnel were found not to violate the Posse Comitatus
Act.

• Congress created a “drug exception” to the Posse Comitatus Act.
Under recent legislation, the Congress authorized the Secretary
of Defense to make available any military equipment and personnel
necessary for operation of said equipment for law enforcement purposes. Thus, the Army can provide equipment, training, and expert military advice to civilian law enforcement agencies as part of the total effort in the “war on drugs.”

• Use of a member of the Judge Advocate Corps as a special assistant
prosecutor, while retaining his dual role in participating in
the investigation, presentation to the grand jury, and prosecution,
did not violate Posse Comitatus Act.

• The Coast Guard is exempt from Posse Comitatus Act during
peacetime.

• Although brought under the Act through DoD regulation,
described above, the Navy may assist the Coast Guard in pursuit,
search, and seizure of vessels suspected of involvement in drug
trafficking.
http://www.rand.org/pubs/monograph_reports/MR1251/MR1251.AppD.pdf

So even the US Army cannot stop Mexicans from invading the US?

Yes, but how many times has the law been broken? Anybody remember Rodney King and the use of US troops in LA?

To that point, I seem to recall that the 101st Airborne was used to desegregate Arkansas schools. Johnson was ready to send the Army to Montgomery when George Wallace "stood in the school house door." Additionally, when I was in the 7th Infantry Division, we had a standing mission to defend a certain munitions depot in California against potential rioters and received training in riot control to allow us to do the mission.

However, if you read into Posse-Comitatus, it has to do with law enforcement activities carried out by US service members. I'm sure there could be some creative classifying of the border area and situation so that it would no longer be "border law enforcement" but a protection mission.

I don't think that the military is generally equipped to do "law enforcement" activities. However, they are an effective force multiplier in the case of needing to assist in situations where the border patrol is being fired on or out gunned. I could see using the military effectively as "eyes" with UAVs, listening posts and Quick Reaction Forces to use when there are heavily armed situations with the Mexican Army or drug runners. They could also provide engineering resources to detect and remove tunnel complexes.

Forum List

Back