if we have a cure for diabetes in 20 yrs should you stop taking insulin today ?

The benefit of leading in the development of alternative energy is patent ownership, leaving it to more amitious and visionary nations is a sure way to be dependent on foreign technology for our energy needs in the same way we are for foreign oil. Whatever the future of alternative energy will be we need to be the nation cashing in on it rather than China, nothing in the fossil fuel industry is worth missing that boat.

I'm sorry thats bullshit.

We're supposed to be afraid of China having better technology then us because they have a stronger centralized program of creating new technology? Please!

China has been stealing our intellectual property and technology forever. The reason why we have better technology is because we freedom, that sparks and encourages innovation.

There is plenty of investing in alternative energy coming from the private sector. We don't need or want the government involved.

Bullshit huh? Did you know that NASA developed the modern wind turbine and owned the patents but Reagan sold them overseas for pennies? No matter your thoughts on wind power it is a profitable business globally and Reagan gave it away to suit the petrochemical industry. What would Romney give away to insure the oil industry dominates energy production until the last drop is pulled from the ground?

So...you speak for the entire US? Wow..how did you get that job?

I have an opinion on what direction we (our country) be headed in. The same way someone on the left may think we (our country) should invest in alternative engery.

I don't know how the concept is lost on you.

Not lost at all. I'm not the one claiming that "we" don't want government to invest in green technology, you are. So, apparently you are the one who lacks the understanding.

So...you speak for the entire US? Wow..how did you get that job?

I have an opinion on what direction we (our country) be headed in. The same way someone on the left may think we (our country) should invest in alternative engery.

Not lost at all. I'm not the one claiming that "we" don't want government to invest in green technology, you are. So, apparently you are the one who lacks the understanding.

Who else is going to invest in it? Those short-selling bastards on Wall Street are not going to go way long on a project that is not going to break even for 10-15-20 years. Alternative energy should be a Manhattan project kind of priority instead it is a half-assed effort that is under constant attack for not breaking even after only a short time.

The benefit of leading in the development of alternative energy is patent ownership, leaving it to more amitious and visionary nations is a sure way to be dependent on foreign technology for our energy needs in the same way we are for foreign oil. Whatever the future of alternative energy will be we need to be the nation cashing in on it rather than China, nothing in the fossil fuel industry is worth missing that boat.

We're supposed to be afraid of China having better technology then us because they have a stronger centralized program of creating new technology? Please!

China has been stealing our intellectual property and technology forever. The reason why we have better technology is because we freedom, that sparks and encourages innovation.

There is plenty of investing in alternative energy coming from the private sector. We don't need or want the government involved.

Bullshit huh? Did you know that NASA developed the modern wind turbine and owned the patents but Reagan sold them overseas for pennies? No matter your thoughts on wind power it is a profitable business globally and Reagan gave it away to suit the petrochemical industry. What would Romney give away to insure the oil industry dominates energy production until the last drop is pulled from the ground?

If Regan got pennies on the dollar for that, he's even smarter than I thought. The only reason why wind power is profitable, is cronyism.

The technology does nothing for anyone.

Who else is going to invest in it? Those short-selling bastards on Wall Street are not going to go way long on a project that is not going to break even for 10-15-20 years. Alternative energy should be a Manhattan project kind of priority instead it is a half-assed effort that is under constant attack for not breaking even after only a short time.

I know you think the government is great at investing and intventing, but they're not.

Yes institutions like the military and NASA sometimes get credit for innovation, but it's our private sector that really deserves the credit. The government has a skelton key to all of our great companies that bring us groundbreaking new technology. The government gets to use our patents, and god bless that, but it starts with the private sector.

Wall st. bad guys huh? How many more Solyndras do you want?

Short selling provides liquidity to the market, and it also makes for a more efficent market.

Investing is inpersonal. There is investing by the private sector in alternatives. The tecnology is NOT there, no matter how much money you throw at it.

Last edited:
Trillions in debt. The fact that the left still avocates this, is pure insanity.

If Regan got pennies on the dollar for that, he's even smarter than I thought. The only reason why wind power is profitable, is cronyism.

Neither did nuclear power for a long time but we use a lot of it now and poured billions (trillions when adjusted) into it's development that we will never ask the private sector to pay back.

Neither did nuclear power for a long time but we use a lot of it now and poured billions (trillions when adjusted) into it's development that we will never ask the private sector to pay back.

Right. Let's ignore we are trillions in hole.

You want to take a chance on wind? Do it with your own money.

It's great that you bring up nuclear, because as on now, that's the only thing besides fossil fuels that works.

Perhaps you should be asking why every attempt at developing alternative energy is demonized by your ilk. Oh yeah....that's right. You're too fucking dumb and brainwashed by your white supremist upbringing to think beyond what your " people" tell you to think.

"his people" could also educate themselves to the FACT that President Obama has issued far more drilling permits than any other president (more than 400) AND that he went against the wishes of the R's and forced the Keystone mess to profit the US instead of foreign oil AND that he went against the R's to make it more profitable for US companies to do business INSIDE the US, thus producing even more US jobs while the R's wanted to go off shore so Big Oil would make the money even though the R's already force us to pay Tax Subsidies to the most profitable oil companies of all time AND that thanks to President Obama, the US makes more money from our own energy than at any other time in our history because, yep, you guess it, he went against the R's who only fight for Big Business -

But no. Ask any rw on this forum and they'll tell you that the prez has cost us energy. Why do they say that? Because they were told to say that.
so they are like you then?.....

The profitability of wind and solar power is dependent on the cost of other energy sources. 50 years ago the cost of a barrel of oil was $2.91/barrel. Today the price is over $108/barrel, an increase of 3700%. The cost of producing power via wind or solar is relatively stable compared to oil. Thus with each run up in the cost of oil, wind and solar become more desirable. If the rate of increase in oil prices we have seen over the last decade, (average of 17%/yr) continues, the cost of a barrel of oil in 10 years could reach $500/barrel. Although this is very unlikely, even a doubling of the average cost of oil will make wind and solar much more desirable.

With the rising cost of production and exploration, only a fool would argue that the long term trend in oil prices will reverse.

The profitability of wind and solar power is dependent on the cost of other energy sources. 50 years ago the cost of a barrel of oil was $2.91/barrel. Today the price is over $108/barrel, an increase of 3700%. The cost of producing power via wind or solar is relatively stable compared to oil. Thus with each run up in the cost of oil, wind and solar become more desirable. If the rate of increase in oil prices we have seen over the last decade, (average of 17%/yr) continues, the cost of a barrel of oil in 10 years could reach $500/barrel. Although this is very unlikely, even a doubling of the average cost of oil will make wind and solar much more desirable.

With the rising cost of production and exploration, only a fool would argue that the long term trend in oil prices will reverse.

Let's ignore the fact that wind nor solar work grand scale or small scale. Only real alternative is nuclear.

Let's ignore the fact that wind nor solar work grand scale or small scale. Only real alternative is nuclear.
The problem with nuclear is that no one want to be within 500 miles of one of them. According to the US Dept of Energy, the last reactor built was the "River Bend" plant in Louisiana. Its construction began in March of 1977. That was 35 years ago. Although there are several plants scheduled for construction in the next 10 years, it seems very unlikely that there will be major construction anytime in the future.

The problem is not just the fear factor. The construction costs are huge, between 6 and 10 billion and the construction time can take well over ten years.

Unlike wind and solar the costs of a nuclear plant isn't scalable. Capacity of wind and solar generation can be gradually increased as the need increases so there is little concern about over or under building because it's easy to add more capacity as needed. As compared to nuclear, there are few government regulation to contend with.

Wind and solar will become not just profitable but very profitable as the price of oil continues to rises.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back