If We Followed the US Constitution Would We Be in this Position?

KMAN

Jul 9, 2008
If we stuck to the US Constitution would our economy be in this position right now?

What do you think?

This is the type of response you get from liberals when you ask a serious question... They don't want to answer the question truthfully so they give some smartass comment... I would think this would get old after a while but I guess not.

If we stuck to the US Constitution would our economy be in this position right now?

What do you think?

None of your questions are serious KMAN, they're trolling.

You don't want answers, you want people to agree with you or otherwise they're "Liberals" and you probably snarl in Real life when using that term because you think you're better then them.

Though to ask YOU a question: How exactly are we not sticking to the Constitution right now?

Last edited:

What do you think?

This idea has some cache. It would seem strong constitutionalists will be compelled to denounce the present government as having abrogated the constitution. Once that is done a declaration might be drawn and approved for a dissolution of the present arrangement and to demand or declare the sucession of a small state like New Hampshire to go it alone so as to go back to constitutional basics.

We do follow the consitution.

We simply do not follow YOUR INTERPRETATION of what the constitution means, KMAN.

But since this is America, and you are a master of your own destiny, you should have no problem going to law school, and positioning youself such that you become one of the black robed priests who interpret what the constitution really means.

Have at it and good luck with LSATs.

The Constitution is interpreted conservatively by Conservative Supremes and liberally by Liberal Supremes. The few moderates, who are probably closer to the truth, are ignored by the know-it-all on the extremes.

We simply do not follow YOUR INTERPRETATION of what the constitution means, KMAN.

But since this is America, and you are a master of your own destiny, you should have no problem going to law school, and positioning youself such that you become one of the black robed priests who interpret what the constitution really means.

BULLSHIT. It has steadly gotten worse since FDR. The Government is so full of unconstitutional Departments as to make the thing meaningless. Further Obama plans to shred it even more with people like you HELPING him.

Is taking money from a group of people and paying for other's mortgages in the constitution? Please show me where. Thanks.

BULLSHIT.

What is bullshit, exactly? That the Supreme Courts interpret the meaning of the consitution? I think that's fairly obviously NOT bullshit, lad.

It has steadly gotten worse since FDR.

BE that as it may, the Supreme Court is still the final arbitor about what the meaning and intention of the Consitution says.

The Government is so full of unconstitutional Departments as to make the thing meaningless.

You really DO have difficulty staying on topic don't you? Do I think YOU are qualified to tell us what is constiutional?

No, actually I do not. I think you are wholly unqualified to tell us anything about consitutional law.

Further Obama plans to shred it even more with people like you HELPING him.

He won't need my help.

He will have to get whatever laws are enacted past the Supreme Court though.

You really do seem terribly confused about how our government works, Lad. Certainly if you think I have anything to do with how that consitution is intpreted you must be very very confused.

Perhaps you should read more.

Last edited:
If we followed the Constitution and true free market concepts, no, it would not be nearly this bad. The problem is that when things turn downward, people look to government as their savior and then "feel good" legislation is passed that further distorts markets as well as restricts freedoms with even more government control that does not go away when the crisis diminishes.

Is taking money from a group of people and paying for other's mortgages in the constitution? Please show me where. Thanks.

Who is this money being taken from exactly? Not U.S. citizens pockets obviously.

But hey, show me where it isn't even allowed in the first place, thanks.

Who is this money being taken from exactly? Not U.S. citizens pockets obviously.

But hey, show me where it isn't even allowed in the first place, thanks.

OK, so let me get this right you believe that the US taxpayer is not going to pay for other people's mortgages... Is that correct? Because I believe they are... Being that the government doesn't actually earn money, in your opinion where is the money going to come from?

OK, so let me get this right you believe that the US taxpayer is not going to pay for other people's mortgages... Is that correct? Because I believe they are... Being that the government doesn't actually earn money, in your opinion where is the money going to come from?

Actually, at the moment; China or whoever is buying up our debt is.

Eventually we'll be paying back all that debt (or we invade them and it goes clean) and that will be included.

However, you haven't answered my question; where in the Constitution does it say the Government can't do that?

Anyone????? Robert????? Shogun??????

Actually, this quote is telling:

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." - James Madison criticizing an attempt to grant public monies for charitable means, 1794
The founder of the modern Democrat Party, Andrew Jackson, would have fully agreed.

The founders were conservative in the classical sense. Conservatives believe in voluntary community and charity, based on duties to each other, as opposed to involuntary collectivism.

Actually, at the moment; China or whoever is buying up our debt is.

Eventually we'll be paying back all that debt (or we invade them and it goes clean) and that will be included.

However, you haven't answered my question; where in the Constitution does it say the Government can't do that?

Are you college educated? If so, what major? How old are you if you don't mind my asking? The fact that you know so little about the Constitution and can sit there with a straight face and ask the questions/make the assertions that you do is incredible.

When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.”
-Benjamin Franklin

“To take from one, because it is thought his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, the guarantee to everyone the free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it.”
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Joseph Milligan, April 6, 1816

“A wise and frugal government … shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.”
-Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address, March 4, 1801

“Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated.”
-Thomas Jefferson

“When all government, domestic and foreign, in little as in great things, shall be drawn to Washington as the center of all power, it will render powerless the checks provided of one government on another and will become as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated.”
-Thomas Jefferson to Charles Hammond, 1821. The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, (Memorial Edition) Lipscomb and Bergh, editors, ME 15:332

“The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.”
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to E. Carrington, May 27, 1788

“The moment the idea is admitted into society that property is not as sacred as the laws of God, and that there is not a force of law and public justice to protect it, anarchy and tyranny commence. If ‘Thou shalt not covet’ and ‘Thou shalt not steal’ were not commandments of Heaven, they must be made inviolable precepts in every society before it can be civilized or made free.”
-John Adams, A Defense of the Constitutions of Government of the United States of America, 1787

James Madison, the Father of the Constitution, elaborated upon this limitation in a letter to James Robertson:
“With respect to the two words ‘general welfare,’ I have always regarded them as qualified by the detail of powers connected with them. To take them in a literal and unlimited sense would be a metamorphosis of the Constitution into a character which there is a host of proofs was not contemplated by its creators.”

In 1794, when Congress appropriated $15,000 for relief of French refugees who fled from insurrection in San Domingo to Baltimore and Philadelphia, James Madison stood on the floor of the House to object saying, “I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents.”
-James Madison, 4 Annals of congress 179 (1794)

“…[T]he government of the United States is a definite government, confined to specified objects. It is not like the state governments, whose powers are more general. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the government.”
-James Madison

“If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the general welfare, the government is no longer a limited one possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one subject to particular exceptions.” James Madison, “Letter to Edmund Pendleton,”
-James Madison, January 21, 1792, in The Papers of James Madison, vol. 14, Robert A Rutland et. al., ed (Charlottesvile: University Press of Virginia,1984).

“An elective despotism was not the government we fought for; but one in which the powers of government should be so divided and balanced among the several bodies of magistracy as that no one could transcend their legal limits without being effectually checked and restrained by the others.”
-James Madison, Federalist No. 58, February 20, 1788

“There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.”
-James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, June 16, 1788

Forum List

Back