If we drop different weights from same height which will fall first to ground?

Ldkon

Sep 28, 2015
Russia
Question: If we drop different weights from same height which will fall first to ground? Both bodies have the same shape and dimension.

Please, don't look for an answer on the Internet. Write what first came to your mind.

Sorry for my English.

Last edited:
Question: If we drop different weights from same height which will fall first to ground?

Please, don't look for an answer on the Internet. Write what first came to your mind.

Sorry for my English.

Depends on the volume. Everything falls to earth at the same speed unless they are affected by a cushion of air. If there were no air, a feather and a pound of lead would fall at the same speed.
I really thought everyone knew that.

Question: If we drop different weights from same height which will fall first to ground?

Sorry for my English.

Mind experiment: Drop a ten pound rock and a five pound rock of equal density from the top of the Leaning Tower of Pisa, the five pound rock hits the ground first due to less air resistance, albeit you would need a high speed camera to catch it.

But unless we won't consider air resistance.
And how about a body weight and its relationship with the force of gravity.

Last edited:

Believe it or not but the moon has a rarified atmosphere and the hammer would hit the ground first because a feather is meant to fly. In an no atmosphere environment both the hammer and feather hit the ground at the same time.

You can't take any physical effect out of the picture and have to consider all factors. For instance what if the feather and hammer were dropped into a rotating black hole where frame dragging has to be taken into account.

You can't take any physical effect out of the picture and have to consider all factors. For instance what if the feather and hammer were dropped into a rotating black hole where frame dragging has to be taken into account.

Both bodies have the same shape and dimension.

Sorry for my English.

Mind experiment: Drop a ten pound rock and a five pound rock of equal density from the top of the Leaning Tower of Pisa, the five pound rock hits the ground first due to less air resistance, albeit you would need a high speed camera to catch it.
so they have to be equal density?

Both bodies have the same shape and dimension.

They both hit the ground at the same time if they are non-rotating but if one spinning and one not, yet another factor to think about.

In a vacuum...

... dey'd fall at the same rate...

... that's about all I remember...

... from H.S. physics class.

Sorry for my English.

so they have to be equal density?

Yes equal density because that relates to surface area.

In a vacuum...

... dey'd fall at the same rate...

... that's about all I remember...

... from H.S. physics class.

No such thing as a vacuum in our Universe due to virtual particles.

2 bodies of the same size and shape but diffrent weight will fall at difrent speed in an atmosphere, the air resistance is the same but the force(weight) is diffrent.

in a vaccum they fall at the same speed as the acceleration will be the same(G force)

Question: If we drop different weights from same height which will fall first to ground? Both bodies have the same shape and dimension.

Sorry for my English.
If we do it, that presumes we are breathing.

That would suggest being on the Earth where there is air to breathe.

That would require overcoming wind resistance from the apparent wind caused by the freefall.

But if we did this on the moon where there is no air the answer would be different.

So there are two answers:

1 - if we did this on the Earth then the denser body would overcome wind resistance and fall faster.

2 - if we did this on the moon they would hit at the same time.

This principle comes up in skydiving all the time.

During skydiving your speed of falling from the moment you jump from the plane quickly accelerates to about 115 mph for the average person. Then the cushion from wind resistance keeps you at that velocity the rest of the way down.

With heavy dense equipment such as guns and ammo you fall faster.

But why die? Go Supply! In the rear with the gear.

Arty is however usually further behind than supply because some supply trucks need to feed the Infantry, Tanks, and Arty. And Arty never jumps out of perfectly good airplanes. Only grunts do that.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back