If unions are bad

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
Why do cons worship a union leader?

ronald_reagan.jpg

I don't condone freebasing cocaine either. Does that mean I shouldn't laugh at Richard Pryor, John Belushi, or Chris Farley?

I don't think he could make it through the primaries today.

[youtube]bn28oayX31Y[/youtube]

I didn't like Reagan, for a myriad of reasons. I'm not a 'Reagan Conservative', with that said, in response to OP. PATCO.

So you can't explain how unions are evil but a union leader was the greatest man since Jesus?

Argumentum ad Absurdium (Argument to the absurd/extremes)

Person 1: I don't like it when Mike takes a whiz on the carpet.
Person 2: Based on the above statement, Person 1 HATES Mike.

Just because people of a conservative bent are critical of union practices does not mean they hate and/or want to abolish all unions.

When it comes to public sector unions the complaint is that they do not have the checks inherent in a private company/private worker union, namely the owners representatives cannot give away so much without bankrupting the company. In government, the owners representatives (politicians) do not have that limitation, and as an addition may have a vested interest in letting the union get as much as they want.

This is what created the problem when it became easier for the politicians at the time to back load the workers compensation into thier retirement and benefits as opposed to raising salaries, with no concern on how to pay it in the future.

Unions became a legitimate target when they stopped helping the people they are supposedly paid to represent and instead became political operatives for one particular party.

Similar to what Robert said, I'm not really sure why any freedom loving conservative would be opposed to a group of people organizing in an effort to leverage their position with their employer. That would be the literal purpose of a union. It's a free country and one freedom is that of people to organize, so hey, go for it.

But that isn't what unions are anymore. Unions are a business. Like any business they have to make money and therein lies the problem. How does a union generate increased revenues so the people who run it can make more money? They need to acquire more members to collect more dues from, but there are often geographic limitations to that, and/or they need to improve the benefits of their members to justify increasng their dues, to make more money. They have to do that reguardless of whether or not their members actually deserve more from their employers. The purpose of a union has long since passed simply seeking what is fair compensation from an employer, to constantly seeking more and more benefits that people may not deserve simply to continue lining union leaders pockets.

Last edited:
If unions were good more than 18% of the working population would belong to them. Every had the windows of your house shot out, mine has. Every had a union leader lie about his salary when it was public record, I have. Good honest workers do much better presenting their case to the boss in person rather than let some union picked leader do the talking.

A teamster leader in Kansas City used to have two offices, one where he met the members and another where he met the politicians. Wonder why that it.

We're talking private sector vs. public sector unions. Try to keep up.

You think I give a rat's ass if some electrician wants to join the IBEW?

Last edited:
Last time I checked the screen actors guild didn't cost the taxpayers any money.

Forum List

Back