If U.S. Falls Off 'Fiscal Cliff', What Will Happen to the Economy?

What it actually means is that 88 percent of Americans taxes will be raised, a 2 percent rise in payroll taxes that would result in 160 million American wage earners seeing their tax bills increase by an average of $1,000. People earning more than $50,000 would face an increase in the tax rate on capital gains to 20 percent, from 15 percent. And the big boys will have their taxes raised from a 33 percent tax to a 35 percent tax. Dont try and make this sound simple and a problem only the poor and democrats will have to deal with. this isnt a problem for a specific group if a compromise isnt reached, its a problem for everyone.

I doubt taxes get raised on anyone, but if so, millions of working class people who were lopped off the tax roles by the Bush tax cuts will now be returning.

They will get a taste of what it is like to fund Obama's freeloader Nation.

So it isn't all bad.

There is no doubt taxes will be raised, and they will be raised on the people who have done everything this country has asked of them and more. Most people make over 50k a year and a 5 percent increase in their cap gains tax is going to hurt. Also, the folks who are actually making this economy go round will experience a 2 percent increase in their income tax.. and 2 percent on 200 k a year is really going to suck

Nah. I bet the Bush tax cuts get extended to everyone as part of the debt ceiling deal.

Killing tax increases is right up there as a top Tea Party swing vote want, and Obama must have the debt ceiling increase. Now, the sequester part of the 'cliff' will probably happen.

I doubt taxes get raised on anyone, but if so, millions of working class people who were lopped off the tax roles by the Bush tax cuts will now be returning.

They will get a taste of what it is like to fund Obama's freeloader Nation.

So it isn't all bad.

There is no doubt taxes will be raised, and they will be raised on the people who have done everything this country has asked of them and more. Most people make over 50k a year and a 5 percent increase in their cap gains tax is going to hurt. Also, the folks who are actually making this economy go round will experience a 2 percent increase in their income tax.. and 2 percent on 200 k a year is really going to suck

Nah. I bet the Bush tax cuts get extended to everyone as part of the debt ceiling deal.

It is the #1 thing the Tea Party swing vote wants, and Obama must have the debt ceiling increase. Now, the sequester will probably happen.

We need the tax cuts to get extended, but who give a hell what those wackos want

In the long run it looks good at the end of the tunnel going over the cliff according to the CBO.

Yep, the deficit would be cut in half so all the bond vigilantees should be happy. The ratings firms might even restore the AAA rating to Treasury debt instead of reserving it for junk CDO's (how's the equity tranche doing lately?).

The recession won't be too bad and we should be back to the present level of GDP by the second quarter of 2014. It'll suck to be unemployed though. Maybe the willingness to inflict that amount of austerity (9.1% unemployment) will bring the confidence fairy.

Long-term growth will take a good hit (maybe 1.5% rather than 1.7%) as a result of deterioration of the nation's capital stock (private physical, public physical, human, and infrastructure). Income inequality will get worse, Social cohesion and political stability will also be reduced, but hey! we're not worried about that are we?

As the 2014 elections approach, the economy will be in a substantial recovery, voters will be blaming Repubicans for for an 18 month recession, and there would still be no long term dal, just patches for a few issues.

Sounds good to me.

Going over the cliff is exactly what Obama wants. Higher taxes for everybody, huge defense cuts, and an opportunity to make more people dependent on government. Plus he and his ass-kissing minions in the media can spend the next 2 years blaming the Republicans for it.

I agree.

I can not begin to explain how much I despise Obama and all of his cronies thugs....and all of those who voted for him.

I have no words.:mad:

You sneer at the Constitution.

That's OK. Obama wipes his ass with it.

Where in the Constitution is there a requirement for a budget to be passed?

There is a requirement for the President to present a budget proposal (which he has) and then another requirement for Congress to either approve or reject said proposal.

There is no requirement, however, to pass a budget.

Bullshit....Bullshit.....Bullshit...

Obama didn't offer any spending cuts besides Defense cuts. The Republicans were more then happy to say "Yes" to raising taxes on the $250K+ crowd, but Obama had to cut some of the fat from the Big 3 Entitlements. Obama didn't want to do that.

Then, a few weeks ago, Obama decided to come out with a new proposal, which included $50 Billion in "Stimulus" spending (what part of "spending cuts" doesn't this retard get?) and the power to raise the debt ceiling whenever he wants without Congressional approval.

Yeah.... that would be a good point, if it were even remotely true.

Here is a link to the proposed cuts, consolidations and savings proposed by the president in his most recent budget proposal.

It's quite a list.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/omb/budget/fy2013/assets/ccs.pdf

And nobody ever really knows what Obama 'offers.' It is never in writing, and Obama himself is a proven serial liar when he comments on it.

The only thing the public hears is the bullshit spin leaked out thru their filters.

Except it is in writing. And very easily find-able, either through a simple Google search, or by going to the White House web site...

And if you ever pulled your head out of your ass... Ahem, I mean out of your right-wing media bubble... You might actually know that.

Bullshit....Bullshit.....Bullshit...

Obama didn't offer any spending cuts besides Defense cuts. The Republicans were more then happy to say "Yes" to raising taxes on the $250K+ crowd, but Obama had to cut some of the fat from the Big 3 Entitlements. Obama didn't want to do that.

Then, a few weeks ago, Obama decided to come out with a new proposal, which included $50 Billion in "Stimulus" spending (what part of "spending cuts" doesn't this retard get?) and the power to raise the debt ceiling whenever he wants without Congressional approval.

Yeah.... that would be a good point, if it were even remotely true.

Here is a link to the proposed cuts, consolidations and savings proposed by the president in his most recent budget proposal.

It's quite a list.

More tax money now and spending cuts in ten years hardly qualifies as a responsible plan.

Going over the cliff is exactly what Obama wants. Higher taxes for everybody, huge defense cuts, and an opportunity to make more people dependent on government. Plus he and his ass-kissing minions in the media can spend the next 2 years blaming the Republicans for it.

I agree.
I can not begin to explain how much I despise Obama and all of his cronies thugs....and all of those who voted for him.

Ahh yes, obviously.

Obama has been trying to make a deal, and the Republicans walked out on the deal, after failing to get their way...

But it's obviously Obama that "wants" to go over the cliff.

Obviously. :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

I agree.

Ahh yes, obviously.

Obama has been trying to make a deal, and the Republicans walked out on the deal, after failing to get their way...

But it's obviously Obama that "wants" to go over the cliff.

Obviously. :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:
Yeah, some deal. Tax increases and no spending cuts. Obama's "deal" will still result in annual deficits of over $1 trillion. Maybe you're just too enamored with him (or too stupid) to care.

Yeah, some deal. Tax increases and no spending cuts. Obama's "deal" will still result in annual deficits of over $1 trillion. Maybe you're just too enamored with him (or too stupid) to care.

Deficits of 1 Trillion would be a significant cut in the current deficit.

And that was an opening bid.

You do understand the concept of "negotiation", right?

Owebambam didn't offer shit, and you are only regurging what you have been told to say.

Here is Obama's 'deal'.

President's budget sinks, 97-0 - The Hill

You sneer at the Constitution.

That's OK. Obama wipes his ass with it.

Where in the Constitution is there a requirement for a budget to be passed?

There is a requirement for the President to present a budget proposal (which he has) and then another requirement for Congress to either approve or reject said proposal.

There is no requirement, however, to pass a budget.

Here you go:

The U.S. Constitution (Article I, section 9, clause 7): "[n]o money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time.

U.S. Constitution - Article 1 Section 9 - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

The lack of a budget with the Executive branch spending outside of one is clear violation.

Here you go:

The U.S. Constitution (Article I, section 9, clause 7): "[n]o money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time.

U.S. Constitution - Article 1 Section 9 - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

The lack of a budget with the Executive branch spending outside of one is clear violation.

Wrong. Congress approved all appropriations. There was no spending without Congressional approval.

In fact, appropriations are the purview of the House of Representatives, so your Republican boys have been approving all spending since they took it over.

And "a regular Statement and Account of Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time" does, in no way, dictate that a President's annual budget must be passed on a yearly basis.

You people need to stop making shit up.

Owebambam didn't offer shit, and you are only regurging what you have been told to say.

Here is Obama's 'deal'.

"Told" by whom, exactly?

All I did was read what you said, do a Google search on "cuts in the president's 2013 budget", and VOILA! There they were, in black and white, for anyone to read, straight from the White House website.

Which means you were... say it with me now... wrong.

A significant cut??? Man, you really ARE stupid, aren't you? What a freakin' idiot!

Last years deficit was over 1.1 Trillion.

2011 and 2010 came close to 1.3 Trillion.

So, yes, 1 Trillion would in fact be a significant cut in the deficit.

I didn't say it would be a cut in the debt.

So, perhaps you could curb your silly insults, they are a rather sad substitute for debate.

Last years deficit was over 1.1 Trillion.

2011 and 2010 came close to 1.3 Trillion.

So, yes, 1 Trillion would in fact be a significant cut in the deficit.

I didn't say it would be a cut in the debt.

So, perhaps you could curb your silly insults, they are a rather sad substitute for debate.

:lol: That deficit does indeed add to the debt. That's exactly what happens to unfunded deficits...it turns into debt.....not like it goes away....it just snowballs.
Just remember, we pay interest on top of that "deficit reduction". You make me laugh.

Here is Obama's 'deal'.

"Told" by whom, exactly?

All I did was read what you said, do a Google search on "cuts in the president's 2013 budget", and VOILA! There they were, in black and white, for anyone to read, straight from the White House website.

Which means you were... say it with me now... wrong.

You get batted around in here like a shuttecock. LOL

Obama cut NOTHING in his budget request as he asked for MORE spending and MORE debt, with higher taxes to boot:

President Obama’s 2013 Budget Delivers Tax Hikes, More Spending, More Debt

Obama's 2013 Budget: Tax Hikes, More Spending, Debt

Forum List

Back