If two gay men are allowed to marry, why not two straight women?

In order to take advantage of the tax code, inheritance, health insurance benefits, etc. Do proponents of gay marriage also support the "right" of straight people, who may not even live in the same state or even know each other well, to marry each other specifically to avail themselves of the incidents of marriage?

I have no interest what goes on in their bedroom.

Do you care if a heterosexual couple marries just for the tax break?

That's a pretty deep legal question. It depends on the contractual obligations of the two parties, which varies by state - and the intent of the tax code.

For one thing - say two people marry for convenience for another reason, other than taxes, but as it turns out, they also get a tax break as a result. On the one hand, to take this break may be fraudulent - on the other hand, to tell the IRS you are not married when you are married may also be fraudulent. Its a catch 22

It sure does undermine the institution of marriage, and it is the promotion of marriage for which those tax concessions are granted. And wouldn't it be discriminatory to not allow the tax break for the couple that married in order to take advantage of it? Aren't they then treated unequally?

I don't believe two straight women would do something so stupid as to marry each other. That would be a really queer thing to do.

why not? why wouldn't two elderly women avail themselves of the incidences of marriage, with no interest in actually living as a married couple? I can think of a variety of common circumstances where such a move would be very beneficial. Even if that is not the type of arrangement our marital laws are intended to promote.

Who cares?

Elderly people get married right now for reasons other than love. They marry for pension benefits, health benefits, housing assistance...

Do you want to peek in their bedroom and see if they are cohabitating?

Why do you say this? because I expose a reasonable by-product of changing the definition of marriage?

no.. because you chose an illogical extreme and tried to pretend it was some logical extension of reality.

really it's pretty goofy....but you already know that, don't you?

funny, but up to one-third of marriages between citizens and non-citizens are sham marriages. Clearly, our marital laws are exploited for a variety of reasons. And if gay couples are allowed to marry, under the guise of Equal Protection, so too should any two citizens be permitted to marry. But thanks for not really participating. You probably are unable to craft any sort of response not directed by HuffPo anyways.

In order to take advantage of the tax code, inheritance, health insurance benefits, etc. Do proponents of gay marriage also support the "right" of straight people, who may not even live in the same state or even know each other well, to marry each other specifically to avail themselves of the incidents of marriage?

Sure...what makes you think it isn't being done now?

It does, but not between heterosexual same sex couples.

In Massachusetts? Really? What safer roommate can one have with all the financial benefits. :lol::lol::lol:

Why do you say this? because I expose a reasonable by-product of changing the definition of marriage?

no.. because you chose an illogical extreme and tried to pretend it was some logical extension of reality.

The funniest part is that I bet he didn't know that a lot of straight couples do that anyways. :cuckoo:

funny, but up to one-third of marriages between citizens and non-citizens are sham marriages. Clearly, our marital laws are exploited for a variety of reasons.

and totally legal too...if they are straight couples. Again with the unequal treatment under the law. Thanks for pointing it out. I like it when people like you prove my points for me.

And if gay couples are allowed to marry, under the guise of Equal Protection, so too should any two citizens be permitted to marry. But thanks for not really participating. You probably are unable to craft any sort of response not directed by HuffPo anyways.

Yep they would. So? You were supposed to have some kind of a point for your argument against gay marriage here somewhere?

:lol::lol::lol:

Yes. Happens all the time between heterosexuals.

In fact, I have several friends here on student visas who are looking to get married for citizenship. The sex would be a bonus.

I don't believe two straight women would do something so stupid as to marry each other. That would be a really queer thing to do.

why not? why wouldn't two elderly women avail themselves of the incidences of marriage, with no interest in actually living as a married couple? I can think of a variety of common circumstances where such a move would be very beneficial. Even if that is not the type of arrangement our marital laws are intended to promote.

Who cares?

Elderly people get married right now for reasons other than love. They marry for pension benefits, health benefits, housing assistance...

this is an interesting side, what benefit would an elderly couple get from getting married?
as individuals they would already have SSI and medicare coverage, and if they got married, one would have to give up the SSI
so what benefit would there be financially for them to marry?

Last edited:

Who cares?

this is an interesting side, what benefit would an elderly couple get from getting married?
as individuals they would already have SSI and medicare coverage, and if they got lmarried, one would have to give up the SSI
so what benefit would there be financially for them to marry?

Suppose one has a pension with survivor benefits.
There are also some assisted living facilities that provide better accomodations for couples

funny, but up to one-third of marriages between citizens and non-citizens are sham marriages. Clearly, our marital laws are exploited for a variety of reasons. And if gay couples are allowed to marry, under the guise of Equal Protection, so too should any two citizens be permitted to marry. But thanks for not really participating. You probably are unable to craft any sort of response not directed by HuffPo anyways.

Did it ever occur to you that they want to marry because they love eachother?

funny, but up to one-third of marriages between citizens and non-citizens are sham marriages. Clearly, our marital laws are exploited for a variety of reasons.

and totally legal too...if they are straight couples. Again with the unequal treatment under the law. Thanks for pointing it out. I like it when people like you prove my points for me.

Not sure about the status of the marriage, but individuals participating in sham marriages are committing serious fraud, and subject to deportation and imprisonment.

And if gay couples are allowed to marry, under the guise of Equal Protection, so too should any two citizens be permitted to marry. But thanks for not really participating. You probably are unable to craft any sort of response not directed by HuffPo anyways.

Yep they would. So? You were supposed to have some kind of a point for your argument against gay marriage here somewhere?

Not arguin about gay marriage- except to illustarte how the institution of marriage is further diluted with its acceptance. Which may be a good thing.

Not sure about the status of the marriage, but individuals participating in sham marriages are committing serious fraud, and subject to deportation and imprisonment.

Not arguin about gay marriage- except to illustarte how the institution of marriage is further diluted with its acceptance. Which may be a good thing.

Backpedaling that bike, I see.

Backpedaling that bike, I see.

not at all. My opinion about gay marriage is irrelevant. But I understand why many are opposed to it in a deeper way than the "youre a homophobe" way you understand the opposition. Let me guess.... you are a dyke?

Does the current law prohibit two people of the opposite sex to get married specifically for the advantages you cite?

Does the current law prohibit two people of the opposite sex to get married specifically for the advantages you cite?

nope, and i'm pretty sure you don't have to perform a sex act in front of the clerk here in mass to get married if you happen to be two people of the same sex, either.

no, it does not. it may go against the stated public policy- which is generally to rpomote strong families.

Forum List

Back