If two gay men are allowed to marry, why not two straight women?

Oct 30, 2009
In order to take advantage of the tax code, inheritance, health insurance benefits, etc. Do proponents of gay marriage also support the "right" of straight people, who may not even live in the same state or even know each other well, to marry each other specifically to avail themselves of the incidents of marriage?

In order to take advantage of the tax code, inheritance, health insurance benefits, etc. Do proponents of gay marriage also support the "right" of straight people, who may not even live in the same state or even know each other well, to marry each other specifically to avail themselves of the incidents of marriage?
You are truly dedicated to your vendetta against gays, aren't you?

I have no interest what goes on in their bedroom.

Do you care if a heterosexual couple marries just for the tax break?

They should be.

I don't believe two straight women would do something so stupid as to marry each other. That would be a really queer thing to do.

• Banned

Why do you say this? because I expose a reasonable by-product of changing the definition of marriage?

• Banned

yes.

• Banned
I don't believe two straight women would do something so stupid as to marry each other. That would be a really queer thing to do.

why not? why wouldn't two elderly women avail themselves of the incidences of marriage, with no interest in actually living as a married couple? I can think of a variety of common circumstances where such a move would be very beneficial. Even if that is not the type of arrangement our marital laws are intended to promote.

Sure...what makes you think it isn't being done now?

Quite a few do that...and for green cards and for other financial and/or living arrangement conveniences.

Do proponents of gay marriage also support the "right" of straight people, who may not even live in the same state or even know each other well, to marry each other specifically to avail themselves of the incidents of marriage?

That is a separate issue, and laws likely vary from state to state.

yes, but if it is discriminatory to not allow gay couples to marry, isnt it also discriminatory to not allow two heterosexual women to marry?

Why do you say this? because I expose a reasonable by-product of changing the definition of marriage?

Oh, you mean a reasonable by-product that any semi-well read adult knows already goes on in the hetero marriage community?
:lol::lol::lol:

That's a pretty deep legal question. It depends on the contractual obligations of the two parties, which varies by state - and the intent of the tax code.

For one thing - say two people marry for convenience for another reason, other than taxes, but as it turns out, they also get a tax break as a result. On the one hand, to take this break may be fraudulent - on the other hand, to tell the IRS you are not married when you are married may also be fraudulent. Its a catch 22

It does, but not between heterosexual same sex couples.

It does, but not between heterosexual same sex couples.

Because that would destroy loveless marriage.

Quite a few do that...and for green cards and for other financial and/or living arrangement conveniences.

its illegal to do it for immigration status. Perhaps that should be permitted too.

its illegal to do it for immigration status.

That is true, but does it actually nullify the marriage? I would think that legally you are still required to answer that you are married whenever under oath or making sworn statements or other statements that you are required to make truthfully (your tax forms) - until your marriage contract is nullified by due process in the courts.

Forum List

Back