CDZ If Trump sues New York Times, will he win the case?

nicoleivy5

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2016
Donald Trump sues New York Times for reckless defamation
"Your article is reckless, defamatory and constitutes libel per se," Marc E. Kasowitz, a lawyer representing Trump, wrote in an open letter to Times executive editor Dean Baquet. "We hereby demand that you immediately cease any further publication of this article, remove it from your website and issue a full and immediate retraction and apology. Failure to do so will leave my client with no option but to purse all available actions and remedies."

What are his chances of winning? I would imagine that both sides have access to the best lawyers in the country

IF the times reported what happened accurately they should be clear to go.

Consider a newspaper called "Nicoleivy5 Times" covers a bunch of nuts who hold a press conference saying why they feel the earth is round.

Generally the round earthers can't sue you for covering the conference.

• Banned
IF the times reported what happened accurately they should be clear to go.

Consider a newspaper called "Nicoleivy5 Times" covers a bunch of nuts who hold a press conference saying why they feel the earth is round.

Generally the round earthers can't sue you for covering the conference.
real talk

What are his chances of winning? I would imagine that both sides have access to the best lawyers in the country
Zilch. They reported the allegations, Trump would have to sue those who made the allegations. You know the NYT ran it past their legals before publication.

Zilch. They reported the allegations, Trump would have to sue those who made the allegations. You know the NYT ran it past their legals before publication.

Like Melania suing those who quoted the source that said she had worked as a prostitute.

As to DuhDonuld, it appears he doesn't have grounds to sue and he can't bully the NYT like he does individuals.

The New York Times isn’t going to be intimidated by the same tactics that Donald Trump has used to scare individuals, and smaller companies into giving him what he wants. The Times generates more revenue in a year than Trump’s entire net worth.

If Donald Trump wants to sue The New York Times, the paper would be thrilled to drag him into court, get him under oath, and force him to discuss his history of inappropriate touching of women.

Trump is a "public figure," so the burden is on his to prove that the NYT knowingly/recklessly published false and defamatory information about him.

"Your article is reckless, defamatory and constitutes libel per se," Marc E. Kasowitz, a lawyer representing Trump, wrote in an open letter to Times executive editor Dean Baquet. "We hereby demand that you immediately cease any further publication of this article, remove it from your website and issue a full and immediate retraction and apology. Failure to do so will leave my client with no option but to purse all available actions and remedies."

Precisely zero.

What are his chances of winning?

What matter is it what his chances are? Who other than he and the other parties to the trial/hearing will be subject to the judge or jury's decision?

The NYT had a great response to the suit, basically stating they'd LOVE to have Trump take the stand and discuss the accusations.

Trump would drop the suit well before that happened.

What are his chances of winning?

What matter is it what his chances are? Who other than he and the other parties to the trial/hearing will be subject to the judge or jury's decision?

Spurious response to a legitimate question regarding the merits of his case.

The issues would probably center on the recording and publication of a private conversation with intent to defame. Subsequent evidence of its validity (by other witnesses) would probably not be admissible.

Well if he can sue the NYT...

Imagine how many could sue him?
I dont think many would want to go and sue someone as rich and powerful as Donald Trump. Can you imagine the type of lawyers he can afford. Youd need to be megarich as well

sue them for what? reporting his own words?

read NY Times v Sullivan.

enjoy

Forum List

Back