If True, I Wish This Would Happen In USA

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.peaktalk.com/archives/001875.php

Saturday, January 14, 2006

THE GREAT MEDIA BACKLASH

One of the key factors in this ongoing federal election campaign has been the extraordinary about-face of the Canadian mainstream media.

This week seemed to be the worst in the backlash. We have been treated to the extraordinary sight of the Toronto Star, the Liberal bastion for as long as I've been alive, treating Martin with pure venom. The CBC, the voice of the government, is not letting up either. They openly question Liberal claims in nearly all their stories, and we were treated this week to the vision of Peter Mansbridge (host of the National) absolutely grilling Martin on the military ad. And of course we have the Globe and Mail endorsing Harper - unthinkable even six months ago.

But the best evidence came yesterday while watching Politics, the CBC's flagship political show (around 13:10). They showed a news conference that Martin was giving discussing the Conservative platform. He used the same phrase over and over again - he called the document "not competent". He told an engaging tale of when he took over as finance minister. He hearkened back to the day when Canada's credit was in the toilet, when we weren't taken seriously in the world financial markets. He compared the CPC platform to "those documents" - the ones which no one took seriously. This should have been a winning strategy for Martin. It was designed to remind us (and journalists in particular) why we liked him in the first place. He was the serious finance minister who got our books in order. Playing to his strengths in the best possible way. So what happened when he took questions on this topic? (~18:36)

The first question related to Tony Valeri's house purchase (not a good topic for the Liberals). The second question, from Radio-Canada (the french version of the CBC) was the kicker.

"In 2004 you said the same thing about Mr. Harper's projections, saying that it was irresponsible, that he could not cut taxes and re-invest in health care and so-forth. You said it was the American model. And you're coming back with the same party line again. And we're seeing that in your own budgetary projections, well, in fact they're pretty close to the Conservative ones that came out in 2004. So why should we believe you today, given what you've already said?"

Wow. As the conference continued, every single question was hostile and confrontational.

I'm not the first to note that the media is no longer on the Liberals' side, but I've been thinking hard about why this is happening. I think the key is with the mentality of journalists.

Most journalists are idealists. They get into the profession to right wrongs, to give voice to those who have no other way of being heard. I say this as someone who once wanted to be a journalist. During my years at the University of Toronto, I worked at the student newspaper, the Varsity. It was considered a reasonable way to achieve a career in media - Naomi Klein was my editor, and many other Varsity peers have careers in the industry. I chose a different path, but for years I dreamed of a job at the Globe and Mail.

So I do believe that young people starting out enter the business with stars in their eyes. They dream of the big scoop, helping to change the world for the better etc. Above all journalists as professionals and human beings gravitate towards the oppressed. You see this in nearly all media stories - the formula is to determine the villain and victim. This is a non-partisan practice - both the left and right do it, but they choose different villains and victims. The journalist then sees the ongoing story through this lens. I'm not criticizing - all human beings do this. No one can claim to be truly unbiased. We all come at issues through our experiences and values.

So what happens when the journalist suddenly sees things differently? When a saviour turns out to be a villain after all? Things get ugly. No one likes to be duped. The typical human response is to be angry, and lash out.

And I think this is what's happening to the Liberals now.

For years the media saw Paul Martin as the saviour. He shepherded us through the dark years as finance minister, and was waiting in the wings to save Canada and the party from the Chretien machine. Martin was always given glowing reviews by the media. Everybody loved him. Chretien may have been the ultimate back-room politician, but Paul Martin Jr. was clean. And when he got his shot to save Canada, we'd see what he could do.

But it all went wrong somehow. Martin's team did some appalling things to get him into power. And then once he was sitting in the big chair, he was ineffectual and weak. Where was the saviour?

In 2004, the media still believed in Paul, the man who would rescue us. I think the turning point came in May 2005, when Martin held onto power by bribing an opposition member (Stronach) into crossing the floor. I can't find the link, but there was a particular press scrum where all the journalists burst out laughing at the Liberals' explanations. And all of a sudden things began to change.

By the time this campaign began it seemed clear that the media love affair with Martin was over. He'd duped them, collectively and individually. And collectively and individually they are lashing back.

To be honest, I actually felt sorry for Liberal staffer John Duffy in his dust-up with CTV's Mike Duffy. From his perspective, the media spent years listening to Liberal staffers when they asked for topic changes - why wouldn't they listen again?

But once people feel like they've been fooled, journalists included, they are furious.
Posted by Ginna Dowler at 02:22 PM |

WIth the exception of Mansbridge, the other papers listed have always been sensationalist at best, with the National Post being a little more right leaning than the Toronto rag.

Neither Harper or Martin have been doing well in debates or in public, although the heat is naturally on Martin a lot more because he has way more to answer for and Canadians want to hear what he has to say about the accusations and charges. Any media outlet would harp on the hot issues, I don't think it's an overall change that will last.

Despite everything, I'd rather see Martin win over Harper. The scariest part is that BOTH want to nationalize almost everything....wtf?? The other two aren't really in it to win anything other than more seats and the Bloc isn't even a national party, so they don't really count when looking at the bigger win/lose picture.

Forum List

Back