If Trayvon Martin weren't in the news now, Bo Morrison might be

Amelia

Rookie
Feb 14, 2011
Packerland!
Kind told police that he heard “banging” from the back of his house and said he was scared it might be retaliation for calling the police. Instead of calling the officer back, he got his revolver and went to the rear porch. He told police he noticed someone stand up in the dark, and fired after the person raised a hand and stepped forward.

Bensen concluded that the late hour, the darkness, the expectation that the intruder had broken in through a locked door, the close quarters of the porch and the fact that his wife and children were in the home all supported the castle doctrine’s presumption that Kind acted reasonably in using deadly force.

Report: Slinger homeowner shot intruder with police nearby | Fond du Lac Reporter | fdlreporter.com

Justice For Bo Morrison -- Castle Doctrine Leaves More Questions than Answers | Wisconsin Politics

They were inside his home - no jury will convict a man for shooting someone in the dark inside their own residence.
They shouldn't have been there. You break into someone's home - you have to deal with any consequence of doing so.
I have 3 guns. Someone is in my home with my wife and kids???
I will shoot first and ask questions later...period.

Someone was in his house... shoot to kill... and if they live..ask them why there were there. I have zero issue with this.

They were inside his home - no jury will convict a man for shooting someone in the dark inside their own residence.
They shouldn't have been there. You break into someone's home - you have to deal with any consequence of doing so.
I have 3 guns. Someone is in my home with my wife and kids???
I will shoot first and ask questions later...period.

I'd call police first; still, if someone broke into the home, those in the home have the right to defend themselves.

• Banned
It's a little blurry whether he'd be considered to be in the house.

He was on the porch. But it was a screened porch, if I understand correctly.

It's a little blurry whether he'd be considered to be in the house.

He was on the porch. But it was a screened porch, if I understand correctly.

Not blurry to me.
It was dark, his adrenaline levels would have been high which can severely alter your judgment, making you far more aggressive and react differently than you would otherwise.
He cannot be held liable for that. He didn't seek the person out, he didn't chase him away from his house then shoot him etc.

Black, white, blue or purple. You break into my house and I'm putting a bullet into your chest. Screened porch is in the house.

• Banned
I don't remember anyone saying he broke in.

I don't blame the homeowner myself. Some are trying to say that when the young man stood up the homeowner should have waited to see if he had something to say. But if I saw a shadowy figure on my porch get up from a crouch, I would instinctively find that threatening. I probably wouldn't shoot and then I'd probably be disarmed and have my gun used against me. But I'll never know for sure since I don't have a gun and don't foresee getting one.

Last edited:
Oh yes, did you read the 2nd link there?

Apparently the homeowner knew there were police in the neighborhood and he could have called them to inspect the noise, and there are some other things people are calling questionable.

I guess my point is that this was starting to pick up media steam in Wisconsin and might have gotten the national headlines if Trayvon's story hadn't come out when it did.

The phone calls to the police even have an opening to make a racial story out of it and the homeowner's story changed but he was given the benefit of the doubt due to the stressfulness of the experience.

Last edited:
Oh yes, did you read the 2nd link there?

Apparently the homeowner knew there were police in the neighborhood and he could have called them to inspect the noise, and there are some other things people are calling questionable.

I guess my point is that this is that this was starting to pick up media steam in Wisconsin and might have gotten the national headlines if Trayvon's story hadn't come out when it did.

The phone calls to the police even have an opening to make a racial story out of it and the homeowner's story changed but he was given the benefit of the doubt due to the stressfulness of the experience.

The police could be next door for all I care, if someone breaks into my house I'm putting a bullet in their chest. Who's to say the cops could get their in time to prevent someone in my family from being harmed by the intruder?

My point is you can't armchair quarterback situations like this with the benefit of time to think about it.
From the moment he stepped onto his porch to the moment he shot him - I wouldn't be surprised if it was only 1-2 seconds.

Forum List

Back