If this was your kid how would you handle it?

DaGoose

Gold Member
Nov 16, 2010
Illinois
If more kids took an active interest and had the same comments this world would be a lot better off.

If he was my kid I would be proud of his social activism yet disappointed in his not finishing school. But he can finish school later so I would be supportive. (And yes, I would be supportive if he was attending Tea Parties as well.)

"I wanted to learn more about it. It's hard to know exactly what's going on with something until you experience it yourself. It's hard to judge something from afar from reading things simply online," said Schmidt, who had never been to New York before the trip.

"If I don't participate, I'm basically accepting whatever happens. I can't complain," he said. "If I participate and try to do something and the end doesn't fit me, I can complain. I can say I went out there and I tried."

Schmidt, who is unsure if he'll return to school and has returned to his hometown of Waunakee, Wis., said he will continue to take part in issues he finds important. He is currently volunteering to gather signatures to recall Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker. The Republican is being targeted largely because of a GOP-backed law he helped pushed through that strips most public employees of their collective bargaining rights.

His relatives have long known that he was a passionate advocate for what he saw as the world's injustices

Missing SD student turns up at NY Occupy protest - Yahoo! News

Last edited:
I'd still love him but I would let him experience the consequences of his own actions. That credit card would be immediately cancelled. All payments to the school would stop. I would never support a child engaged in self-destructive activities.

I'd still love him but I would let him experience the consequences of his own actions. That credit card would be immediately cancelled. All payments to the school would stop. I would never support a child engaged in self-destructive activities.

Indeed. Like I told my kids, "I'll always love you, but not always the things you choose to do." One could easily use 'support' in place of 'love.'

If more kids took an active interest and had the same comments this world would be a lot better off.

If he was my kid I would be proud of his social activism yet disappointed in his not finishing school. But he can finish school later so I would be supportive. (And yes, I would be supportive if he was attending Tea Parties as well.)

"I wanted to learn more about it. It's hard to know exactly what's going on with something until you experience it yourself. It's hard to judge something from afar from reading things simply online," said Schmidt, who had never been to New York before the trip.

"If I don't participate, I'm basically accepting whatever happens. I can't complain," he said. "If I participate and try to do something and the end doesn't fit me, I can complain. I can say I went out there and I tried."

Schmidt, who is unsure if he'll return to school and has returned to his hometown of Waunakee, Wis., said he will continue to take part in issues he finds important. He is currently volunteering to gather signatures to recall Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker. The Republican is being targeted largely because of a GOP-backed law he helped pushed through that strips most public employees of their collective bargaining rights.

His relatives have long known that he was a passionate advocate for what he saw as the world's injustices

Missing SD student turns up at NY Occupy protest - Yahoo! News

For the signatures my first reaction would be to put a boot in his dumb ass.

For wanting to find out about the truth about OWS I would grant him leeway. I would also ask him what he learned.

If he said that violence and protesting is cool I'd put a boot in his ass.

If he said that those people are crazy I'd let him drive my truck for a month.

He was reported "missing" and did not tell anyone where he was headed. That is unforgivable. His tuition was paid and now has been forfeited. That is unforgivable. Maybe this kid should consider caring about those closest to him as well as the "oppressed".

My son took a semester off to work with orphans in Uganda. I was not happy about it initially, but we worked it out as a family. That kid sounds more selfish than charitable to me.

I'm sort of amazed my kid hasn't ALREADY done that.

I think that year or two after HS, while he was struggling to find a job that didn't suck, served him well.

Forum List

Back