If this is true, Panetta should resign

If it's true that Leon Panetta had Marines disarm before being in a room with him, he should resign.

You don't put your desire for personal safety above the honor of the United States Marine Corp.

Story to come, I'm sure.

I can't believe you people hate Obama so much you would attack the Sec Defense who is considered a great American by most rational and sane people. Difficult to find a Republican that knows him who has anything negative to say about Panetta's honor, duty, service, or patriotism.

You people would destroy American in order to win a silly ideological dispute with the elected President

btw: American officials said that the top commander in Helmand, Maj. Gen. Mark Gurganus, had decided on Tuesday that no one would be armed while Mr. Panetta spoke to them, but the word did not reach those in charge in the tent until shortly before Mr. Panetta was due to arrive.

General Gurganus told reporters later that he wanted a consistent policy for everyone in the tent. “You’ve got one of the most important people in the world in the room,” he said. He insisted that his decision had nothing to do with the shooting on Sunday. “This is not a big deal,” he said.

If it's "not a big deal", why do something that is so destructive of troop morale by questioning their integrity and training?

Why then did Gurganus make the decision to DISARM the Marines?
If in fact Gurganus took it upon himself to make that stupid gesture he was motivated by the same kind of politicking nonsense that motivates the majority of the incompetent, opportunistic buffoons who put forth most of our stupidly ineffective and redundant gun control measures.

If it was his decision he should be reduced in rank and forced to resign. Because he has shown himself to be unfit to command Marines.

With a room full of armed Marines, he wouldn't get far if did. It is a silly assumption, to say the least, maybe we should disarm those protecting the President, someone might grab their guns.

It's horrid Peach. I really do like you as a sane poster center left. This situation is not good. This shows real down to the problem weakness.

Not good. To disarm the Marines is probably one of the biggest mistakes I have ever witnessed in a political life internationally.

And I've been around a couple of decades.

Well, let's not go overboard. They were only disarmed in a tent. One that sits in a heavily armed camp/base.

Last edited:
If it's true that Leon Panetta had Marines disarm before being in a room with him, he should resign.

You don't put your desire for personal safety above the honor of the United States Marine Corp.

Story to come, I'm sure.

I can't believe you people hate Obama so much you would attack the Sec Defense who is considered a great American by most rational and sane people. Difficult to find a Republican that knows him who has anything negative to say about Panetta's honor, duty, service, or patriotism.

You people would destroy American in order to win a silly ideological dispute with the elected President

btw: American officials said that the top commander in Helmand, Maj. Gen. Mark Gurganus, had decided on Tuesday that no one would be armed while Mr. Panetta spoke to them, but the word did not reach those in charge in the tent until shortly before Mr. Panetta was due to arrive.

General Gurganus told reporters later that he wanted a consistent policy for everyone in the tent. “You’ve got one of the most important people in the world in the room,” he said. He insisted that his decision had nothing to do with the shooting on Sunday. “This is not a big deal,” he said.

Post Of The Day!!! :laugh:

glad I could oblige

:eusa_shifty:

So, at first glance, this seems like a diplomatic move by the General.

However, it goes against my grain to disarm serving Marines.

And, the bigger picture is that they show these Afghani's that they really can't trust them. So, that seems like a fail of the diplomatic move.

Isn't it special when your Secretary of Defense removes arms from his own troops.

So he can go and suck up to Karzai

This is so bizarre. This is so fucked upped I don't even know where to begin?

This shows real down to the problem weakness.
But most Americans want OUT.

Post Of The Day!!! :laugh:

glad I could oblige

Yes. Because I hate Obama SO much. :lol:

when was the last time you heard of terrorists hijacking a plane and flying them into buildings?

They thought the samething before 9/11....

Again this is why you don't run policy.

Were there Marines on those planes? I think not.
Actually, I would be surprised if there were no Marines on any of those planes. There are a lot of Marines in American society.

Perhaps on at least one of those planes, the others...maybe not so much.

glad I could oblige

Major General Gurganus held high posts in Iraq also; chosen by Bush's SoD.

The tipping point on Afghanistan (The Good War) was reached for most Americans when the President announced the "Surge" at the same time he announced the date of withdrawal. Every US serviceman or woman who watched that speach wondered why they were being hung out to dry and their folks back home wondered the same thing.

It was seen for what it was at that moment; justification for all the criticism from the left and Democrats in congress against Bush and his neglect of the good war while starting a bad war.

It's horrid Peach. I really do like you as a sane poster center left. This situation is not good. This shows real down to the problem weakness.

Not good. To disarm the Marines is probably one of the biggest mistakes I have ever witnessed in a political life internationally.

And I've been around a couple of decades.

Well, let's not go overboard. They were only disarmed in a tent. One that sits in a heavily armed camp/base.
In the practical sense you are quite right. But the issue is the symbolic implication, not the practical effect.

As the collective import of my participation in this forum clearly reveals, I am not a Gung-Ho, pro-military hotshot. But I am an ex-Marine and I am offended by this action. My feeling if I were there would be if you can't trust me with a weapon then either send me home or let me serve as a civilian contractor in some non-combat function at ten times my present pay rate.

Panetta is a sanctimonious asshole. I have a CWL and I have been at functions with elected officials from local commissioners, to US Senators, and everything in between. Face to face contact and carrying.

Hell, most of the officials I know are carrying.

glad I could oblige

Major General Gurganus held high posts in Iraq also; chosen by Bush's SoD.
Gurganus' resume is meaningless in this example.

Consider Colin Powell's resume. And that treacherous, self-serving bastard is directly responsible for enabling the Iraq invasion. Had he not prostituted himself in exchange for promotion to Secretary of State by mendaciously affirming the existence of WMDs the Congress would not have been swayed enough to approve the invasion. And there is no question that Powell knew what he was doing.

5800 Americans died in Iraq. Thousands more were maimed and/or disfigured. The cost of that debacle has been ruinous. And we have Colin Powell, with his solid gold resume, to thank for it.

Al Jazeera is playing it that way already. JPost within a few hours.

We may not like it, but they saw how they could drive a Kenworth thru this issue. And they're doing so.

New Topics

Forum List

Back