If the terrorists are here.....why are our troops over there, Part II

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
The part 1 thread got long, so I thought I'd use some common sense to answer that question: If they are here, why are we still there?

Well, "over there" back in 2000, they had lots of training camps. It's where guys who wanted to do jihad trained so their bombs would work and they could kill lots of people.

So, we went and exterminated those training camps, and are still there to prevent them from coming back.

Why is this important? Well, so guys like the underwear bomber and this latest Islamic lunatic in NYC won't succeed. So they aren't trained well, and thus, their bombs fail. As both of theirs did.

If we leave from "over there", the camps will come back, and the training will resume. Then, their bombs will work better, like they did in Beruit or Mali or at the embassy bombings, or the USS Cole.

And that, not oil, is why we are "over there".

We're not there for the oil. That I know.

But you can't stop terrorism by shutting down "training camps". They'll just make more camps, somewhere else - in Saudi Arabia, or somewhere else friendly to us.

We're still there because when we came in the first time, we fucked everything up. Saddam and the Taliban might have been a cruel autocratic governments- but the power vacuum that was left after they were removed caused more chaos and destruction than they did when he was in power. Whether or not we did the right thing by going in there in the first place, we can't leave it in the state it's in now.

We're not there for the oil. That I know.

But you can't stop terrorism by shutting down "training camps". They'll just make more camps, somewhere else - in Saudi Arabia, or somewhere else friendly to us.

We're still there because when we came in the first time, we fucked everything up. Saddam and the Taliban might have been a cruel autocratic governments- but the power vacuum that was left after they were removed caused more chaos and destruction than they did when he was in power. Whether or not we did the right thing by going in there in the first place, we can't leave it in the state it's in now.

Correct on all counts. But it still leaves us breeding terrorists faster then we can kill them. Also I feel we've been extrenely lucky, but there is another shoe out there, somewhere.

Forum List

Back