If the South had Won ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Toro, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,130
    ... the Civil War, what do you think would have happened?

Would there be two countries today? Would there have been a reunion later? How do you think the history of the United States would have evolved?

2. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    that they would have been screwed for awhile but probably recovered. They grew the cotton but didn't have any way to process it. SOme of the slaves would have left but I don't think many because they would have had to start paying them better to stick around.
    I also think the north would have gone after them again and the fighting would have continued for years.

3. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,028
    It's difficult to say. They could possibly have come to the conclusion that being a part of the Union was better than independence and tried to rejoin, perhaps the remaining U.S. states would have decided to join the Confederacy, or perhaps they would have come together again and formed something entirely new.

I personally think the two would likely have remained separate, because there is obviously a disconnect between northern and southern political philosophy. However, I think the two would be allies and trade partners now.

4. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    What?

The Cotton Gin was used primarily in the South. The processed, baled cotton was then sold to textile mills in Europe and the North, for weaving into cloth.

After you gin the cotton and make the bales, the "processing" is over, that's the final product you sell.

As to what the world would be like today had the South won? There is really no way to speculate about that. The North's illegal invasion sort of made the point moot. I have little doubt however, that the North would have continued a naval blockade, and continued invasions.

5. Luissa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    the way the system was set up then, neither one could have survived without the other.
    Not saying they couldn't have developed the industries to be able to survive but it would have taken years and they would have realized probably quickly that they needed each other.

6. Luissa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    sorry I wasn't clear, you pretty much said what I meant.
    They had to weave into cloth in order to sale it and most of the cotton goods being shipped out of the US were being shipped out of the north who was controlling the prices.

7. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    No,

They had to harvest, clean and BALE it to sell it TO the textile manufacturers. And Europe was by far the biggest market. The cotton gin revolutionized cotton production.

You are confusing textile processing with cotton processing. Those are two entirely different things.

It's the same as comparing wheat production to making flour or bread.

See?

8. Luissa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    but the north was making it impossible for them to trade with Europe and what is good is wheat if are not making it into bread. Do you sit around and eat wheat with your dinner?

9. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,130
    It is almost certain then that the United States would be a diminished global power. Correct?

10. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    Wheat, and cotton, and tobacco are raw commodities. They are sold as such. Neither requires any additional processing to be sold to those who would use this RAW MATERIAL to make other things, which they then sell. So your statement earlier that the south could not process the cotton is completely invalid. They did process it. But they didn't make sheets, gowns or blankets out of it.

Just man up, say "yeah, you're right" or my personal favorite, "I stand corrected" and move on.

Now,

The Union blockade, had it continued, would not have been tolerated by the British or the French. Tobacco and cotton were in great demand by those two world powers, and had the war gone on much longer they were ready to commit navel forces to stop the blockade. The French had already donated some fast, "blockade buster" ships to the south, trying to keep the trade routes going.

However, the Anaconda Plan was by far the most effective maneuver of the war, probably shortened it drastically.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009