If the religious right is wrong............

Shattered said:
Then what am I? I don't believe in all the religious hype, but nor do I live by any of *those* "commandments"..

There is no such thing as "the religious right", that's the point. The religious right is the Left's construct of all of us "icky" people, you know, the ones that don't make our living as university professors, don't live on the upper East Side

Anyway, you most likely do live by most of the 10 commandments (I'm sure you're not a murderer, thief, and you probably call your mom and/or dad once a week, you probably haven't had an affair with your neighbor's husband, or taken his car, I doubt you've perjured yourself).... get my point? You don't have to be religious to observe the 10 commandments, nor even Christian or Jewish. Most people in the world observe them anyway and would agree to them (sabbath days and strange gods not withstanding)

manu1959 said:
then it is all clear to me now as this must be the commandments they live by..........

I am not the Lord thy God. Thou shalt have strange gods before me.
(OK explains lefts love for Ted Kennedy)

Thou shall take the name of the Lord thy God in vain. (Ok explains lefts distain for religion)

Remember thou shalt not keep the Sabbath Day. (Explains the windsurfing)

Thou shalt not Honor thy Father and thy Mother. (Justifies that whole anti corporal punishment thing)

Thou shalt kill. (pro choice stance is clear now)

Thou shalt commit adultery. (Explains Marilynn Monroe, Donna Rice and Monica

Thou shalt steal. (Explains Clinton trying to leave the white house with the china)

Thou shalt bear false witness against thy neighbor. (Explains Barbara Boxer)

Thou shalt covet thy neighbour's wife. (Explains Bill Clinton)

Thou shalt covet thy neighbour's goods. (Explains John Kerry and the ketchup queen)

A prime example of a flawed premise leading to a completely outta the ball-park whacko conclusion.

KarlMarx said:
There is no such thing as "the religious right", that's the point. The religious right is the Left's construct of all of us "icky" people, you know, the ones that don't make our living as university professors, don't live on the upper East Side

Anyway, you most likely do live by most of the 10 commandments (I'm sure you're not a murderer, thief, and you probably call your mom and/or dad once a week, you probably haven't had an affair with your neighbor's husband, or taken his car, I doubt you've perjured yourself).... get my point? You don't have to be religious to observe the 10 commandments, nor even Christian or Jewish. Most people in the world observe them anyway and would agree to them (sabbath days and strange gods not withstanding)

And the "Left" is a right wing-nut construct of all us yucky people...You know, the ones who prefer to think for themselves and not be led around by the nose by any half-wit claiming to have a direct line to their favorite deity. And I'd just be happy with a shift back to the center, never mind the left or right.

Bullypulpit said:
And the "Left" is a right wing-nut construct of all us yucky people...You know, the ones who prefer to think for themselves and not be led around by the nose by any half-wit claiming to have a direct line to their favorite deity. And I'd just be happy with a shift back to the center, never mind the left or right.

Dude, ill believe you think for yourself when you stop parroting the talking points of the party every time you post.

The Religious Right doesn't live by the ten commandments. If gay couple moved in next door they'd hate them and move. They take the name of God in vain everytime they use God to justify hating gay people, Jews, Muslims, Atheists and anyone else who doesn't subscribe to their specific way of thinking. The Religious right always covets thy neighbors goods, and they neighbors wife too (see Rupert Murdochs effort to buy up every media outlet he can get his hands on, and Newt Gingrich, Bob Dole, Phil Gramm, etc. on lessons in Marriage) - also place this one under the adultery commandment. Almost no one "keeps the Sabbath" anymore - how else would you ever finish those honey-dos? George W. Bush has no problem with killing people, how many death warrants did he sign as Governor of Texas? As for stealing, try the constant attempted theft of the first amendment to the Constitution. I'd really like to see the Religious Right, which does exist by it's own admission, live by one simple commandment, as stated beautifully by George Carlin "Thou shalt keep thy religion to thy self.

acludem

acludem said:
The Religious Right doesn't live by the ten commandments. If gay couple moved in next door they'd hate them and move. They take the name of God in vain everytime they use God to justify hating gay people, Jews, Muslims, Atheists and anyone else who doesn't subscribe to their specific way of thinking. The Religious right always covets thy neighbors goods, and they neighbors wife too (see Rupert Murdochs effort to buy up every media outlet he can get his hands on, and Newt Gingrich, Bob Dole, Phil Gramm, etc. on lessons in Marriage) - also place this one under the adultery commandment. Almost no one "keeps the Sabbath" anymore - how else would you ever finish those honey-dos? George W. Bush has no problem with killing people, how many death warrants did he sign as Governor of Texas? As for stealing, try the constant attempted theft of the first amendment to the Constitution. I'd really like to see the Religious Right, which does exist by it's own admission, live by one simple commandment, as stated beautifully by George Carlin "Thou shalt keep thy religion to thy self.

acludem

You sir or madame, need to leave your Ivory Tower, literally or in your mind. By no means am I part of the 'religious right', having paid dues to the ACLU for years, until I decided that 'civil liberties' without the expectation of responsibilities just would bring us back to 'a state of nature.' Today my preference is still for enforcement of the Bill of Rights, but with a balance of the concept of 'civic good.'

Those types of people you describe are not the 'flip side' of those in the ACLU, but a small number indeed, living like 'survivalists' in one way or another. Considering the population of the country and your depiction of it, people would be moving constantly, shooting from their wagons/minivans along the way.

Get over yourself and your mind drawn prejudices.

acludem said:
The Religious Right doesn't live by the ten commandments. If gay couple moved in next door they'd hate them and move.
Really? How do you know that? Sounds to me like you’re being very judgmental. Perhaps they would try to show them love and respect, while at the same time trying to show them the error of their ways. I'm sure if a fundamentalist couple moved in next door to you, you'd probably do just what you accused the members of the so-called religious right of.

acludem said:
They take the name of God in vain everytime they use God to justify hating gay people, Jews, Muslims, Atheists and anyone else who doesn't subscribe to their specific way of thinking.

WTF? Really! You actually believe that the “religious right” hates Jews, Moslems and others? Perhaps you ought to try to get to know a few of them and see just how wrong you are.

acludem said:
The Religious right always covets thy neighbors goods, and they neighbors wife too (see Rupert Murdochs effort to buy up every media outlet he can get his hands on, and Newt Gingrich, Bob Dole, Phil Gramm, etc. on lessons in Marriage) - also place this one under the adultery commandment.

Rupert Murdoch? How about Ted Turner, Bill Gates, most of Hollywood, Warren Buffet, let’s not forget George Soros! Do you realize that there are more millionaires that support the DNC than the GOP? Anyway, if you own any stock at all, you’re guilty of the same thing, oh inhabitant of the Great Glass House!

As for the adultery thing, the names of the people you mention are not members of the “Relgious Right”. How about Billy Graham, Jerry Falwell, the Pope, Mother Theresa and a host of others who exercised their conscience, got their hands dirty in the name of Christ? On you side we can name, Bill Clinton (and a perjurer), John F. Kerry (and a gold digger), Edward Kennedy (and a drunk) on your side. Let’s not forget ACT-UP, the AIDS activist commandos who have gone into churches and desecrated them, disrupted church services and tried to intimidate people.

acludem said:
George W. Bush has no problem with killing people, how many death warrants did he sign as Governor of Texas? As for stealing, try the constant attempted theft of the first amendment to the Constitution. I'd really like to see the Religious Right, which does exist by it's own admission, live by one simple commandment, as stated beautifully by George Carlin "Thou shalt keep thy religion to thy self.

Acludem

I don’t have a problem with killing people who rape, murder and torture others when there is due process of law involved. Of course, your sanctimonious outrage doesn’t extend to the rights of unborn children who you think should be denied the right to live without a jury, without a judge, without due process, who committed no crime other than to be a major inconvenience to their mothers.

Speaking of keeping your religion to yourself. When are you and your fellow Leftists going to do just that? When are you going to stop harassing Christians, Jews, Moslems who want to practice their religion in public? When are you going to stop bringing lawsuits before judges to stop people from praying in schools, eliminating the mention of God in public life? You operate under the pretense that you’re defending freedom, but actually, if the truth were told, you just hate religion, you hate traditional morality and you hate anyone that disagrees with you….. isn’t that actually more like it?

Yes, Your Honor, great myopic one (and I call you that because you sit in judgment of others, while neglecting to look at your own shortcomings. Seems to me your posts could be summarized thusly --- “I am better than everyone else”). Maybe you ought to invest some time in front of your bathroom mirror and ask yourself how you better the life of your fellow man by persecuting him for practicing his religion.

Dude, ill believe you think for yourself when you stop parroting the talking points of the party every time you post.

Sorry, you're mistaking me for a disciple of Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly or Rush Limbaugh, such as yourself.

Kathianne said:
You sir or madame, need to leave your Ivory Tower, literally or in your mind. By no means am I part of the 'religious right', having paid dues to the ACLU for years, until I decided that 'civil liberties' without the expectation of responsibilities just would bring us back to 'a state of nature.' Today my preference is still for enforcement of the Bill of Rights, but with a balance of the concept of 'civic good.'

Those types of people you describe are not the 'flip side' of those in the ACLU, but a small number indeed, living like 'survivalists' in one way or another. Considering the population of the country and your depiction of it, people would be moving constantly, shooting from their wagons/minivans along the way.

Get over yourself and your mind drawn prejudices.

Indeed Kathianne, you've hit the nail on the head. Freedom necessarily entails responsibility. Freedom without responsibility is no better than utter anarchy. As for the "civic good", that concept seems to shift with whomever is talking about the "civic good". A religious fundamentalist would define it differently from a secular humanist. Both are addressing issues fundamental to the social fabric, but each is deriving their justifications from a different source. The former from some divine, metaphysical and ultimately unknowable source, the latter from the objective consequences to this human life in this world.

Since some of you clearly can't figure it out...my post was satirical. I was painting the right with same brush the original poster painted the left with. Evidently the fact that I used George Carlin as a source of evidence didn't register with some of you.

acludem

acludem said:
Since some of you clearly can't figure it out...my post was satirical. I was painting the right with same brush the original poster painted the left with. Evidently the fact that I used George Carlin as a source of evidence didn't register with some of you.

acludem

Horseshit. There was nothing satirical about your post. You let your guard down for a moment, and your true hatred of Christians came spilling out. Don't try to hide it behind parody now. You've just shared a moment of naked honesty with us - go with it!

acludem said:

acludem
In other words..... the ol' "I don't have a leg to stand on so I'll pretend that I was just kidding" trick!

I didn't say I was kidding. I meant what I said. The Religious Right is full of hypocrites. The language I used to prove my point was satirical. Once again, please notice the fact that I used a stand-up comic as a source. BTW, I don't hate all Christians, just the hypocrites.

acludem

acludem said:

acludem

anything is possible... however your skill with a brush and your technique are suspect

Bullypulpit said:
Sorry, you're mistaking me for a disciple of Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly or Rush Limbaugh, such as yourself.

No, I think they are making a judgement based on past posts where you have posted from a Democratic Pundit's opinion piece that you have judged to be the Truth of All Things at the moment. Drinking Democratic Kool-Aid is no better than those who drink from the Republican fountain of aide du Kool.

acludem said:
I didn't say I was kidding. I meant what I said. The Religious Right is full of hypocrites. The language I used to prove my point was satirical. Once again, please notice the fact that I used a stand-up comic as a source. BTW, I don't hate all Christians, just the hypocrites.

acludem

Damn, acludem - I thought we were having a breakthrough. I imagined that you were, at long last, ready to confront your raging Christophobia openly and honestly. Instead, you continue to litter the board with steaming, malodorous roadapples. What a disappointment.

manu1959 said:
excellent point...which seems to be lost on the complaining left

no worries about hell all the "fun" people will be in there, plus every religion can't be right so by deffinition everyone is going to hell except possibly one group....if there is a god...so it wll be crowded...if it exists as well

I think I would address this to Shattered as well. Im not sure where Liberals came up with this notion that all those who are religious are living puritanical lives or condeming everyone who doesn't somehow measure up to hell? This is beleive is the Left's biggest lie they pertpetuate in order to demean anyone who espouses Christian beliefs, by making them look as though they are these boring and horribly judgemental people

I can tell you that simply is Not The Case At ALL!!

The majority of Christians and Catholics are just doing the very best they can everyday to live by God's commandments, and we all fail most of the time, but we keep trying, and hpoefully wwe can admit when we do fail.
We do not judge other people but simply take a stand as to what is right and wrong. I can honestly tell you that I would never wish Hell anyone period! Most of us know we are all on the same team fighting the forces of evil that permeate every part of our lives, government, that are vigorously attmepting to relegate Christians as a minority that should only be allowed to exist if we stay quiet, well behaved, hidden, and change our beliefs to make everyone who doesn't believe feel better about themselves.

The fact that anyone aspires to live by a code of conduct of decency that is not directly based on religious beliefs tells me that there is an inate goodness that still comes from God, and that is never a bad thing!

Forum List

Back