If the future is like star trek

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Would you accept that it is a pretty good future? The one thing I'd add is anti-aging medication that allows people to live thousands of years.

Even with Warp drive it will take months to years to get from one habitable planet to the next.

• Banned
Thinks of the benefits
1. No food shortages...We could control molecules and make as much food as needed.
2. We'd have the resources of the universe.
3. Far more advanced medical tech and medications. Far less suffering.

I don't see the down side.

I realize that the economic theory doesn't make sense but we have to start somewhere and who knows. Maybe some economic student will invent such a theory that can work in such a way in the future.

The future will never be like Star Trek.

We cannot escape the Earth's gravity in large numbers.

There isn't enough energy on Earth to do it.

And there is nowhere to go.

The extreme distances between the Earth and any other inhabitable place are too vast.

The new movie "Passengers" illustrates this problem nicely.

Although space travel is a pleasant fiction like time travel, it is not a reality other than for a few small probes to the Moon and back.

Thinks of the benefits
1. No food shortages...We could control molecules and make as much food as needed.

I realize that the economic theory doesn't make sense but we have to start somewhere and who knows. Maybe some economic student will invent such a theory that can work in such a way in the future.
^^^

:alcoholic:

• Banned
I realize it looks impossible at this moment, but who knows how much more physics to discover over the next few hundred years. We may yet find a way to invent warp drive or any number of the things needed to have such a future.

Am I a dreamer? Yes...History is full of the impossible becoming possible.

I realize it looks impossible at this moment, but who knows how much more physics to discover over the next few hundred years. We may yet find a way to invent warp drive or any number of the things needed to have such a future.

But nothing that causes the time to stand still.

Thinks of the benefits

Despite 'Star Trek's' much lauded alternate economy -- "The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in our lives" -- the fact remains that in the 'Star Trek' universe, only the military elite live in this ili-defined social utopia.

Starfleet uses credits as their unit of currency -- but credits are drawn against some repository of wealth. They represent a commodity that can be exchanged for valuable things like di-lithium crystals, tribbles, and STD meds that work on Orion Slave Girl AIDS. The non-Starfleet characters are constantly acquiring hard currency in the form of precious metals such as gold and latnum. The 'Prime Directive' is simply nothing more than a trade embargo that enriches Starfleet and keeps the lesser races down.

Even Starfleet, like it's counterpart Soviet Russia, has a hierarchy of the proletariat with Gold Class workers afforded special luxuries like Saurian Brandy and the aforementioned Orion Slave Girls while the Red Class workers neither live long nor prosper.

latest

Star trek was a bunch of liberal pussys.

Last edited:
Well little Trotsky the idea of Star Trek ever happening in real life is unlikely... Now something like firefly is more realistic.

Why?

Greed.

Humanity can not conform to your Marxist reality because of the greedy nature of humans.

Star trek was a bunch of liberal pussys.

No.

Why?

How many Liberals would want something like Starfleet to control their daily lives.

Star Trek is the attempt to promote of form of Marxism that would never work.

Most American Liberals would not be able to survive in real Marxism because they want everything while doing nothing for it.

I like your spirit Matthew. Space travel is already a reality so your dream is not that far fetched actually. Man has already traveled back and forth between Moon and Earth. It certainly looks realistic that in near future we will be able to explore distant planets in our solar system. Beyond that, things look bleak as far as manned space travel is concerned.

There is quite a bit to explore in our own solar system without venturing into interstellar travel. So future does look exciting for people like yourself who are fascinated by the idea of manned space travel provided we do not kill ourselves in a nuclear holocaust or we do not get hit by an asteroid.

Would you accept that it is a pretty good future? The one thing I'd add is anti-aging medication that allows people to live thousands of years.

Even with Warp drive it will take months to years to get from one habitable planet to the next.

Depends on whether the 'warp drive' produces a wormhole and we figure out how to control that. In theory could it not make jumping form one point to another instantaneous? I'm not up-read on wormholes. If instantaneous or near that aren't possible then yes any travel to other stars let alone galaxies will still be daunting.

It has nothing to do with Wormholes....It is a bending of space into a wave with low pressure in front and high pressure behind the ship.

It would take amazing energy to do but our universe already does it.

Those are theoretical constructs. It will not be wise to make future plans based on them.

Forum List

Back