If Ted Cruz Was Born in Canada, He Cannot Be President: PERIOD

If it's true that Cruz was born in Canada, then he can't be President.

• Yes, that's what the Constitution says.

• No, we can make yet another exception to US Law and it won't set a dangerous precedent.

Results are only viewable after voting.
So are you saying that Ted Cruz's Canadian birth certificate kills his run for president or doesn't matter?

Doesn't matter.

So then according to you, someone with an Iranian, Russian, Chinese or North Korean birth certificate could also be president? (you seem to have difficultly remembering that the 14th cannot play favorites as to "country of origin"..)

I argue that it was the intention of the founders to put all issues of citizenship under the purview of congressional statute. Including natural born citizenship.

My evidence is the very first session of the very first congress, the founders themselves, doing exactly that. And extending natural born citizenship by congressional statute in 1790. Demonstrating that Congress absolutely has that authority. All without any amendment....With that authority in mind, I would argue that a reading of current law on the topic would find no constitutionally significant difference between 'citizen at birth' and 'natural born citizen'.

So are you saying that Ted Cruz's Canadian birth certificate kills his run for president or doesn't matter?

This has to stop. Sorry Ted Cruz. I really was looking forward to your candidacy.

Why? Why were you looking forward to his candidacy? Be specific.

I argue that it was the intention of the founders to put all issues of citizenship under the purview of congressional statute. Including natural born citizenship.

My evidence is the very first session of the very first congress, the founders themselves, doing exactly that. And extending natural born citizenship by congressional statute in 1790. Demonstrating that Congress absolutely has that authority. All without any amendment....With that authority in mind, I would argue that a reading of current law on the topic would find no constitutionally significant difference between 'citizen at birth' and 'natural born citizen'.

Legally it is irrelevant.

Politically- it is a tool for Trump to use against him- to give Trump's racist and nationalist base a reason to vote against the Latino candidate born in Canada.

Doesn't matter.

So then according to you, someone with an Iranian, Russian, Chinese or North Korean birth certificate could also be president? (you seem to have difficultly remembering that the 14th cannot play favorites as to "country of origin"..)

Or Panamanian or Cuban etc.

As long as one of their parents was an American citizen when they were born, and they meet the other eligibility requirements, and can get nominated and can get elected.

If you don't like that- well then you best change the Constitution.

Okay, well ..... considering the dirty tricks Cruz has already played to win the first caucus, I could care less where he was born. He wouldn't be getting my vote anyway.

Doesn't matter.

So then according to you, someone with an Iranian, Russian, Chinese or North Korean birth certificate could also be president?

Were they US citizens at birth?

(you seem to have difficultly remembering that the 14th cannot play favorites as to "country of origin"..)

I've made no 'country of origin' arguments. You seem to have difficulty remembering that the voice inside your head isn't actually me.

it was not a US military base hospital or embassy. Not US land, so that is why there is a question. Cruz' father was not a US citizen till 2005. Cruz did not give up his canadian citizenship till a few months ago.
There is reason to question.

Neither a US military base, hospital nor embassy is US soil.

And it still doesn't matter. Current US law recognizes 'citizen at birth' as distinct from naturalized citizens.

it was not a US military base hospital or embassy. Not US land, so that is why there is a question. Cruz' father was not a US citizen till 2005. Cruz did not give up his canadian citizenship till a few months ago.

Military bases abroad are not considered "US Land" under the 14th Amendment for citizenship purposes. Children born on a military base to US Citizens are not citizens because of the land (i.e. jus soli, right of the soil), but are citizens at birth based on jus sanguinis (right of blood).

A non-US person gives birth a military base in a foreign country, that child is not a US Citizen.

Just so ya know.

>>>>

Military bases abroad are not considered "US Land" under the 14th Amendment for citizenship purposes. Children born on a military base to US Citizens are not citizens because of the land (i.e. jus soli, right of the soil), but are citizens at birth based on jus sanguinis (right of blood).

A non-US person gives birth a military base in a foreign country, that child is not a US Citizen.

Just so ya know.

>>>>
Yup. Exactly right. Aris, I can show you the State Department confirming everything that World Watcher just said if you'd like.

Okay, well ..... considering the dirty tricks Cruz has already played to win the first caucus, I could care less where he was born. He wouldn't be getting my vote anyway.
You mean the dirty trick of reposting news from CNN? How dare they!

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

Politically- it is a tool for Trump to use against him- to give Trump's racist and nationalist base a reason to vote against the Latino candidate born in Canada.

How is possessing an Iranian, North Korean, Russian or Chinese birth certificate is "legally irrelevant" to a person becoming POTUS in the US?

How is possessing an Iranian, North Korean, Russian or Chinese birth certificate is "legally irrelevant" to a person becoming POTUS in the US?

How is it relevant?

Your lack of understanding of American law and the Constitution is your problem, not mine.

That's too easy. He'll say he was "born again" in the USA (tank=gAwd) and the evangelical tea party will begin Civil War 2( in GaWdz name, of course)

We can't as a nation keep violating the US Constitution, pretending that our founding fathers were "old fashioned kooks" and therefore all their ideas about preserving our Union were too. They fought between themselves and deliberated over and over how this country should be set up to last: not to relax the bedrock of its own laws time and again until everyone was laughing at the Constitution.

We have Obergefell. We have Citizen's United. We have the Judicial now writing special classes for their favorite deviant sex behaviors without permission from the Legislature. We have Justices creating a back door for non-citizens to most keenly affect our elections...citizens who haven't sworn the Oath of allegiance to our country and many of whom own controlling stock in US Corporations...who are our sworn enemies!

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! I like Ted Cruz. The fact that he was born in Canada makes me sick. I was planning on voting for him but I can't now. Nobody can. He isn't eligible to run for president. We MUST resist the urge to think of the wisdom of our founding fathers as "outdated". They KNEW what they were talking about in setting up the Constitution the way they did. They'd seen it all. Each new generation thinks they're the wisest and that age keeps getting lowered. Now we take orders from our 20 year olds on how marriage will be set up. We take orders from corporations on whether or not our country can be run by foreigners.

This has to stop. Sorry Ted Cruz. I really was looking forward to your candidacy.

Why? Why were you looking forward to his candidacy? Be specific.

Doesn't matter.

So then according to you, someone with an Iranian, Russian, Chinese or North Korean birth certificate could also be president?

Were they US citizens at birth?

(you seem to have difficultly remembering that the 14th cannot play favorites as to "country of origin"..)

I've made no 'country of origin' arguments. You seem to have difficulty remembering that the voice inside your head isn't actually me.

the court hasn't ruled on that issue yet. natural born citizen has a meaning. it just hasn't yet been defined.

the court hasn't ruled on that issue yet. natural born citizen has a meaning. it just hasn't yet been defined.
False. A law stands and doesn't "become a law" when and if the Court gets around to interpreting it.

I would like to point out once again how a person of known far-left posting habits seems to be unruffled and even promotional of a candidate, Cruz, who is worse off than Obama on the previous witch hunt based on speculation coming from the right. (There was no Kenyan birth certificate for Obama...there IS a Canadian birth certificate for Cruz) "jillian" should be screaming "hypocrite!" from the top of her lungs. But again, she isn't. And that right there should tell the GOP something very significant about the disaster looming of a Cruz candidacy...

This is the Law:

In the 2008 election both major parties nominated candidates whose eligibility is dubious. For Barack Obama the question was whether he was born in Hawaii, which is U.S. soil. For John McCain the question was whether the Panama Canal Zone, where he was born, was U.S. soil. It is not, and being born of parents both of whom were U.S. citizens did not make him a "natural-born" citizen, although a statute was later adopted naturalizing such persons at birth...

The U.S. Constitution provides as follows: Article II Section 1 Clause 5:
No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States...

The U.S. Constitution provides as follows:Article II Section 1 Clause 5:
No Person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

The main authority for the original meaning of "natural born" is William Blackstone, in his Commentaries on the Laws of England, Volume II, edited by St. George Tucker, a Founder, published in 1803, especially Chapter 10:

As to the qualifications of members to sit at this board: any natural born subject of England is capable of being a member of the privy council; taking the proper oaths for security of the government, and the test for security of the church. But, in order to prevent any persons under foreign attachments from insinuating themselves into this important trust, as happened in the reign of king William in many instances, it is enacted by the act of settlement,l that no person born out of the dominions of the crown of England, unless born of English parents, even though naturalized by parliament, shall be capable of being of the privy council..
Presidential Eligibility

1. There was only one exception made for not natural born citizen and it was those people who could not have been born in the United States because of the date the people who made the Constitution all were foreign born. Their intent was that THEREAFTER all presidents of age 35 or greater must be natural born. At such time when there were sufficient 35 year olds born on US soil. Clearly we are beyond and well within that time.

2. The intent most obviously is that for the special and uniquely powerful office of POTUS, our Union's security is best preserved by having a president who has zero ties to a foreign country.....not a little, or a few....ZERO ties. ZERO influence.

3. Cruz's dad was not a US citizen. The word was "parentS", plural. Because as I said before, a US man on shore leave could sire a child with a Russian, Iranian or N. Korean woman and there would be no way to legally prevent that child born & formatively raised in any of those countries from becoming president also.. The 14th Amendment does not allow discrimination based on gender (father or mother in either scenario) or country or origin.. If Cruz can become president...any of those examples also can...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back