If someone is religious is it immoral for them NOT to proselytize?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Dr.Drock, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Dr.Drock

Dr.Drock Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +940
    If you've been on this board you know I don't believe in a god. Very rarely am I ever proselytized and on the rare occasions that it happens I normally just sit quiet and move on or politely inform the person I'm not interested and it ends peacefully.

However to me, if I were a hardcore believer in one of the main religions of the world I would think I'd be someone who proselytizes. Most religions as far as I can tell say non-believers belong in hell, I would find it very important to try to help someone avoid such a place. So I can certainly morally understand why people proselytize.

Do you agree? Disagree?

2. Lokiate

Lokiate Super Beast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +63
    It depends on what religion you're talking about. Protestant Christian sects are the only ones I've encountered that actively, and regularly attempt to recruit new believers in a large volume. Some Muslim sects in America do it too, and I'm sure the Abrahamic religions aren't the only organizations that proselytize. I think it's arrogant, and obnoxious. Live and let live, instead of creating more of a divide by telling people that their personal beliefs are wrong, and that they're going to face eternal punishment for it.

Nobody fucking knows what happens on the other side of life anyway, assuming there even is one.

3. Dr.Drock

Dr.Drock Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +940
    But there are tons of people who claim to know what happens after life, and if in your own mind you're 100% certain someone is going to hell for their beliefs wouldn't you at least try in a small way to in your view help them?

4. Marie888

Marie888 † † †

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +215

There are so many ways I could try to reply to this, and could probably write a book, lol. I love this topic, and am ever learning about it (sharing the Gospel) as it's always been in my heart big time. When someone knows the truth of Jesus, it's like He said, "It is finished." To me, that is the most important. After someone knows the truth of Christ, they can't "unknow" it. (And HE begins the "good" work..not ourselves.. "HE" does - all Glory to Him)

So...., overall, my response without using God's Word would be yes but "it depends on each situation, person, etc".

However, I need to back that up by sharing the Bible on this subject... because it's all of God. That is, when someone is born again and when God uses us to witness by His Spirit. Since God knows our hearts, He can use certain people at certain time for a certain Word from Him to others. When the Revelation of Jesus Christ comes upon a person, that is we KNOW He is the Lord, and we know this because this is by His Spirit alone. No "man" could have shown us this.

As for who God uses and when, that's all up to Him, and I'm still learning on this. It's all by His Spirit and only He knows the perfect timing. In the meantime, when I share the Gospel, I'll try to be gentle... but if someone is kicking against, or they don't want to hear it, I need to be done. I'm learning more and more to just back off and wipe the dust off so to speak. His will be done!

Here's some verses about witnessing, etc...

We never know when someone is born again...
    God sents people out to share the Gospel...
    His Word is needed for faith to come about...
    Sadly for some, the Message of the Cross offends them rather than encourages them to seek God more....
    I love Charles Spurgeons quotes in relation to preaching about Christ:

God gives each one of us gift(s) of the Spirit - that is, of His Spirit. We all have different gifts to encourage one another or unbelievers to Him. The focus and edification is always Jesus Christ, because the purpose of the gifts are to Glorify Him. He gets our eyes of "self" and unto Him, loving Him, and others, loving others. Gifts can be different, depending upon His will also.

So my answer, yes and no and still learning...lol. He sometimes gives us the opportunity, but it may either be received or rejected. Only God knows someones heart and intent. It may be we just share His Word "now", but that Word is planted so to speak... and the Lord will bring others into people's lives to keep on planting, etc.

HE, overall, gives the increase, though, He alone is God.

I could probably say more, and still learning, but I'll leave it at that for now. Just some things that came across when you brought it up.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  5. Marie888

Marie888 † † †

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +215
    Jeepers, I realize I didn't really answer the question in the actual title, sorry Drock. I mean what I said above goes along with it, but it's hard to say if it's "immoral" not to. God's grace is sufficient. I'd never think less of someone if they weren't witnessing. Because they may be more gifted in edifying the church. (Those who already believe)

But Okay..here's what I would call a good response below..but we also learn along the way "discernment". Again, why toss the Word of God at someone if they don't want to hear it, or won't? Or rather, yes, share the Gospel when it's time, but we learn soon enough when to walk away.

How does God distribute spiritual gifts?
    Learning as I go, hopefully more will answer too.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  6. Dr.Drock

Dr.Drock Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +940
    I agree, I'd like to think if I were a believer I wouldn't find it immoral not to prostelyze. As your other post showed it says there's people who have such a calling, meaning probably not everyone does.

7. hortysir

hortysir In Memorial of 47

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    It's far easier, for me anyway, to (I prefer to call it) Testify on a more personal face-to-face manner.

Message boards and Forums are far too difficult to convey the Gospel properly.
    Marie does it wonderfully, though.

Most of my postings are always too short and tend to fall short of my intended meaning.
    His Word deserves more than I can express in a few short lines.

Is it immoral *not* to?
    That would depend on the individual according to their gifts.
    With Marie, for example, her gift of meticulously presenting her message would make it (at least) a waste of her God-given talent not to testify.

God knows my weaknesses and knows that I try where I can, as the Spirit moves me.
    I wouldn't want someone out there just mangling the Word just for the sake of spreading It. (see:phelps :D )

:cool:

8. Two Thumbs

Two Thumbs Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,589
    As a recovering Catholic, that's lived in more than a few places, in practice
    it depends.

All members of the faith are to look out for thier fellow man and do what they can to "save" them.
    Usually by making it part of a conversation.

some faiths have a turn taking for who is going to be actively seeking people out. The people that come to your door are on a mission, the booth at the local fair. I think the mormons even have to copy the trail thier ancestors took from wherever to Utah, in cloths and transportation of the times, to demonstrate the strength of thier faith.

but the reality of it is; Don't talk about religion of politcs, as a basic of conversational manners.

Basically, I don't think it's "immoral" to not go out actively seeking to convert, but it would be to say nothing if the instance presented itself.

9. Lokiate

Lokiate Super Beast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Maybe, I don't know. I was a "free will" Christian when I was religious. The path a person chose was theirs to make. If they didn't want to convert, nothing I could have said would have changed their minds.

10. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,311
    Should Atheists proselytize too?