If Sarah Palin wants a real run at a 2012 nomination...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Jon, Nov 14, 2009.

1. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    She needs to remove herself from the Republican party. It's a sinking ship. Moderates will not back a Republican candidate. She needs to start a third party movement. She has the clout to pull it off, too.

Am I saying I would vote for her? No. Am I saying she would win? No. But if she wants a serious shot, she needs to make bold moves to show she is NOT just a business-as-usual Republican. Trying to reform a long-established party is going to get her nowhere. McCain tried it, and he failed...and he's been in the game far longer than she has.

If she wants a real shot, being part of the Conservative party would do her better than being on the Republican ticket.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. namvet

namvet Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,815
    she's not running dipshit

3. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    Are you serious? She clearly is positioning herself for a run.

4. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,932
    I thought she did that before, the Alaskan Independence Party! Opps that was just Joe Six Pack!

Honestly the best she can do is help other candidates and make 10s of millions of dollars off her name!

5. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,540
    Third parties never win....she will only draw votes from the republican candidate.

The problem with third parties is they go right for the top...The Presidency

That is not the way to start a third party. You have to start at the local and state level. Win state assembly seats, maybe a few congressional seats. Then you go for Governors and Senate seats.

You should not even consider running for president until you have built some type of party base. It just doesn't work

6. SwingVoter

SwingVoter VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I'm an independent and voted for Kerry and Obama, but just voted for the Republican in our governor's race. Mitt Romney would easily get my vote over Obama, Palin would be a tougher call.

7. Maple

Maple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +568

She may try to re-vitalize the GOP or she may form a conservative party. Either way, until I see her move down to the lower 48 she is telling me that she is not in the running. You have to get closer to the campaign trail and it's not in Alaska. Rush has said this, as has Carl Rove. She is too far away to do much of anything politically in Alaska. I do have to give her credit for her facebook account as she can move millions simply by posting on it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  8. Maple

Maple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +568
    Jon, McCain is not a fiscal conservative, he never has been one, that was his problem, he ignored the conservative base of his party and lost. Palin is a conservative and she fires up the conservative base, that's why libs are scared to death of her and that's also why she is soooooooooooooooooo popular. She is to us conservatives the Rock star that Obama is to liberals.:clap2::clap2: 40% of Americans state they are fiscal conservatives, while only 20% identify themselves as liberals. That's why the fear.

9. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,777
    I truly think there is a third party in the making,, How does Constitutional Conservative sound?

10. Sinatra

Sinatra Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    After Watergate the Republican Party underwent a crisis mode as well.

Reagan was the pivotal figure in redefining the party through his brand of American conservatism - tough, yet optimistic. Reaganism appealed to a broad base of Americans, and as such, made him the most influential and successful president since FDR - and the greatest of the last half of the 20th Century.

Palin is playing, to a lesser degree, a role akin to Reagan - though she clearly lacks the experience and gravitas to rise to the heights of Reagan. As such, she is crucial to the re-emergence of conservatism in America, which was greatly harmed by the eight years of the Bush administration and the then-Republican Congress.

Will Palin be the transformative figure that was Reagan? At this point that appears unlikely. She will more likely one of a few integral voices for change. And therein we find the still existing weakness of the Republican Party - it lacks a singular defining figure. They have about a year to find one to emerge. The Republicans will make sweeping gains in Congress in 2010 - enough to slow down the Obama legislative agenda, if not stop it entirely. But 2012 will be Obama's to lose, particularly if the Republicans don't find someone to speak to true conservative values with both truth, conviction, and an appeal to a majority of American voters. Such a figure does not yet exist...