If Sarah Palin wants a real run at a 2012 nomination...

Jon

The CPA
Mar 20, 2008
Fayetteville, AR
She needs to remove herself from the Republican party. It's a sinking ship. Moderates will not back a Republican candidate. She needs to start a third party movement. She has the clout to pull it off, too.

Am I saying I would vote for her? No. Am I saying she would win? No. But if she wants a serious shot, she needs to make bold moves to show she is NOT just a business-as-usual Republican. Trying to reform a long-established party is going to get her nowhere. McCain tried it, and he failed...and he's been in the game far longer than she has.

If she wants a real shot, being part of the Conservative party would do her better than being on the Republican ticket.

I thought she did that before, the Alaskan Independence Party! Opps that was just Joe Six Pack!

Honestly the best she can do is help other candidates and make 10s of millions of dollars off her name!

She needs to remove herself from the Republican party. It's a sinking ship. Moderates will not back a Republican candidate. She needs to start a third party movement. She has the clout to pull it off, too.

Am I saying I would vote for her? No. Am I saying she would win? No. But if she wants a serious shot, she needs to make bold moves to show she is NOT just a business-as-usual Republican. Trying to reform a long-established party is going to get her nowhere. McCain tried it, and he failed...and he's been in the game far longer than she has.

If she wants a real shot, being part of the Conservative party would do her better than being on the Republican ticket.

Third parties never win....she will only draw votes from the republican candidate.

The problem with third parties is they go right for the top...The Presidency

That is not the way to start a third party. You have to start at the local and state level. Win state assembly seats, maybe a few congressional seats. Then you go for Governors and Senate seats.

You should not even consider running for president until you have built some type of party base. It just doesn't work

I'm an independent and voted for Kerry and Obama, but just voted for the Republican in our governor's race. Mitt Romney would easily get my vote over Obama, Palin would be a tougher call.

She may try to re-vitalize the GOP or she may form a conservative party. Either way, until I see her move down to the lower 48 she is telling me that she is not in the running. You have to get closer to the campaign trail and it's not in Alaska. Rush has said this, as has Carl Rove. She is too far away to do much of anything politically in Alaska. I do have to give her credit for her facebook account as she can move millions simply by posting on it.

Last edited:

Jon, McCain is not a fiscal conservative, he never has been one, that was his problem, he ignored the conservative base of his party and lost. Palin is a conservative and she fires up the conservative base, that's why libs are scared to death of her and that's also why she is soooooooooooooooooo popular. She is to us conservatives the Rock star that Obama is to liberals.:clap2::clap2: 40% of Americans state they are fiscal conservatives, while only 20% identify themselves as liberals. That's why the fear.

After Watergate the Republican Party underwent a crisis mode as well.

Reagan was the pivotal figure in redefining the party through his brand of American conservatism - tough, yet optimistic. Reaganism appealed to a broad base of Americans, and as such, made him the most influential and successful president since FDR - and the greatest of the last half of the 20th Century.

Palin is playing, to a lesser degree, a role akin to Reagan - though she clearly lacks the experience and gravitas to rise to the heights of Reagan. As such, she is crucial to the re-emergence of conservatism in America, which was greatly harmed by the eight years of the Bush administration and the then-Republican Congress.

Will Palin be the transformative figure that was Reagan? At this point that appears unlikely. She will more likely one of a few integral voices for change. And therein we find the still existing weakness of the Republican Party - it lacks a singular defining figure. They have about a year to find one to emerge. The Republicans will make sweeping gains in Congress in 2010 - enough to slow down the Obama legislative agenda, if not stop it entirely. But 2012 will be Obama's to lose, particularly if the Republicans don't find someone to speak to true conservative values with both truth, conviction, and an appeal to a majority of American voters. Such a figure does not yet exist...

Jon, McCain is not a fiscal conservative, he never has been one, that was his problem, he ignored the conservative base of his party and lost. Palin is a conservative and she fires up the conservative base, that's why libs are scared to death of her and that's also why she is soooooooooooooooooo popular. She is to us conservatives the Rock star that Obama is to liberals.:clap2::clap2: 40% of Americans state they are fiscal conservatives, while only 20% identify themselves as liberals. That's why the fear.

No liberals are afraid of Palin. No she is not nationally popular. No she will never be president.

I truly think there is a third party in the making,, How does Constitutional Conservative sound?

I personally would like to see the libertarian party make a splash! I think they should start attack some smaller conservative states first!

I truly think there is a third party in the making,, How does Constitutional Conservative sound?

I personally would like to see the libertarian party make a splash! I think they should start attack some smaller conservative states first!

For a legitimate 3rd Party to emerge beyond spoiler status, things will have to get much worse.

That is a possibility given the sometimes scary ineptness of the current administration and Democrat controlled Congress, but there is a ways to go yet, and frankly, I don't know if I wish to experience things getting that bad.

A widespread tax revolt would be nice though...

She's already perceived as a Republican, her handlers are trying to sell her as the next Ronald Reagan.

If she doesn't run for president, they should make her the RNC chair.

I don't think she'd even get close to winning the presidency especially against Obama but she sure looks like she's giving it a try.

No liberals are afraid of Palin. No she is not nationally popular. No she will never be president.

I see you are in denial, because if you truly thought that you would not be on this thread, it would be a total waste of your time. Dream on.:lol::lol:

Reagan was the pivotal figure in redefining the party through his brand of American conservatism - tough, yet optimistic. Reaganism appealed to a broad base of Americans, and as such, made him the most influential and successful president since FDR - and the greatest of the last half of the 20th Century.

Palin is playing, to a lesser degree, a role akin to Reagan - though she clearly lacks the experience and gravitas to rise to the heights of Reagan. As such, she is crucial to the re-emergence of conservatism in America, which was greatly harmed by the eight years of the Bush administration and the then-Republican Congress.

Will Palin be the transformative figure that was Reagan? At this point that appears unlikely. She will more likely one of a few integral voices for change. And therein we find the still existing weakness of the Republican Party - it lacks a singular defining figure. They have about a year to find one to emerge. The Republicans will make sweeping gains in Congress in 2010 - enough to slow down the Obama legislative agenda, if not stop it entirely. But 2012 will be Obama's to lose, particularly if the Republicans don't find someone to speak to true conservative values with both truth, conviction, and an appeal to a majority of American voters. Such a figure does not yet exist...

Govenor Pawlenty out of Minnesota is going to make a run, he has already visited Iowa. He's testing the water, but I am pretty sure he is going to be in there. He is a conservative and a cute one to boot. Watch out libs, Palin and Pawlenty could hook up and form quite a team.:lol::lol: The landslide team.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The reason Palin is so popular is she reminds many of us of Reagan. Reagan was made fun of by the liberals too and trashed by the media as a dumb actor. They would run adds with him in a movie he made with the monkey. It did not work. He survived those character assasinations and went on to beat Jimmy Carter in a landslide victory that was called before the California polls had closed. I remember, I was there.

Last edited:

I see you are in denial, because if you truly thought that you would not be on this thread, it would be a total waste of your time. Dream on.:lol::lol:

You are correct - there is legit fear of what Palin represents by that segment of Americans who are hardcore leftists. She redefines the term of feminist, much to the angry outcries of traditional leftist feminists.

This anger is then willingly transformed into derision, ridicule, and at times, outright cruelty.

I have a number of former colleagues who disagree with Palin's politics, but they maintain a respectful disagreement that is sadly missing from some in forums such as this - and a handful of inane leftist media pundits.

Palin appears to be simply rising above their likes though - gotta give her props for that...

I basically agree with Mr Sinatra

The difference is that Reagan was more inclusive in his rebuilding of the Republican party. The republican party today is discarding members in the name of Ronald Reagan. The rebublican party base is diminishing over positions of personal opinion that do not impact your being a real Republican

The difference is that Reagan was more inclusive in his rebuilding of the Republican party. The republican party today is discarding members in the name of Ronald Reagan. The rebublican party base is diminishing over positions of personal opinion that do not impact your being a real Republican

You are somewhat correct - but what Reagan did, through the sheer power of both personality and conviction, was to bring the party back to him. And while Reagan maintained a sunny disposition througout even the more difficult political challenges, that disposition rode upon a foundation of granite - and at most time impervious to the always changing political winds of the day.

Simply put, Reagan knew who he was, and what he believed. He as the most instinctually powerful politician of the modern era. His critics demeaned him for that, called him simplistic, or idealogically dangerous.

The vast majority of the American people loved him for it, much to the chagrin of the entrenched party elite of both political camps and many members of the media.

America needs just such a figure now - and we don't have it. I don't care if it's a Democrat, a Republican, or other. What our nation needs is leadership. We have been without such leadership for far too long, and we are suffering because of it - and this suffering is turning dangerous...

I know you would like to think that but it is still a very broad tent, you always have your fringe groups, just like liberals do. The things that Reagan, Palin, Pawlenty,and Romney all know is that the great silent majority is extremely concerned about the debt that is being run up to astronomical amounts, they know that the majority of Americans are not happy with the takeover of 6% of the American economy in health care. They also are quite aware of the weak on terrorists policies of this President and that the majority of Americans frown on that. They also know that 15.7 million people are unemployed and that number is still rising.

They will use these issues to drive home why they would make the better President and they will win it hands down. The economy is shedding jobs faster than Obama can print money to pay for more unemployment. His no stimulus stimulus plan of 787 billion dollars is not working and won't be working in the 3 more years he has in office. They were not designed to work and I have yet to see any shovel ready jobs going on. His policie's will work to the advantage for conservatives that are coming your way in 2010 and 2012. Get ready, it's gonna be very fun to watch.

Obama has given any potential candidate enough ammunition in the short 10 months he has been in office, to annihilate the democratic party in 2010 and himself in 2012.:lol::lol:

If you need proof, you need to look no farther than the recent New Jesey and Virginia gubenatorial races. Obama was all over both those states campaigning hard for the incumbents, it did not help they both lost. 70% of registered voters in New Jersey are democrats, it's a deep, deep blue state, Christy was outspent by a 4-1 margin, had a rock star President actively campaigning against him and yet he still won by a 100,000 vote margin. It's a shot across the bow of the democratic congress and you are going to see a melt down happening shortly the more Nov 2010 approaches.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back