If Rush or Sean Would Have Said This......

red states rule

May 30, 2006
I wonder if we would ahve heard more about this if Rush or Sean would ahve made these comments?

Of course Imus is a liberal butt kisser so not much has ben reported. If a conservative host would have made these comments Pelosi and reid would trample over each other to get to the TV cameras

Apology Doesn't Stem Calls to Oust Imus
By LARRY McSHANE, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - Unimpressed by his on-air apology or corporate promises of a tighter leash, angry critics of nationally syndicated radio host Don Imus called Saturday for his dismissal over his racially charged comments about the mostly black Rutgers women's basketball team.

"I accept his apology, just as I want his bosses to accept his resignation," said the Rev. Al Sharpton. He promised to picket Imus' New York radio home, WFAN-AM, unless the veteran of nearly 40 years of anything-goes broadcasting is gone within a week.

Sharpton was not alone in his anger over Imus' description of the Rutgers' women as "nappy headed hos" during a Wednesday morning segment of his show, which airs for millions of listeners on more than 70 stations and the MSNBC television network.

On Friday, after Imus delivered an on-air apology, both WFAN and MSNBC condemned his remarks. WFAN issued a statement promising to "monitor the program's content" but Imus, a member of the National Broadcasters Hall of Fame, was not publicly disciplined.

The National Association of Black Journalists, the editor-in-chief of Essence magazine and a New York sports columnist joined the chorus against Imus.

"What he has said has deeply hurt too many people _ black and white, male and female," said NABJ President Bryan Monroe. "His so-called apology comes two days after the fact, and it is too little, too late."

Angela Burt Murray, of Essence magazine, called on Imus' bosses to take a harder stance over his "unacceptable" remarks. "It needs to be made clear that this type of behavior is offensive and will not be tolerated without severe consequences," Murray said.

Columnist Filip Bondy of the Daily News, in a column headlined "Imus spews hate, should be fired," said the radio star "should be axed for one of the most despicable comments ever uttered on the air."

The Rutgers team, which includes eight black women, lost the NCAA women's championship game Tuesday, and Imus was discussing the game with producer Bernard McGuirk.

"That's some rough girls from Rutgers," Imus said. "Man, they got tattoos ..."

"Some hardcore hos," said McGuirk.

"That's some nappy headed hos there, I'm going to tell you that," Imus said.

Karen Mateo, a spokeswoman for WFAN's parent company CBS Radio, said Saturday there was no additional comment on the Imus situation.

Imus' success has often been a a result of his on-air barbs.

"That Imus is in trouble for being politically incorrect is certainly not new," said Tom Taylor, editor of the trade publication Inside Radio. "He's lived his life in and out of trouble ... This is something CBS will be watching very carefully."

Recent controversies involving Imus focused on a member of his morning team, Sid Rosenberg, who was fired two years ago after a particularly vile crack about cancer-stricken singer Kylie Minogue. Before that, a racially tinged comment by Rosenberg about Venus and Serena Williams stirred another controversy.

The NABJ cited two other incidents in which Imus himself insulted two black journalists. Imus has called PBS' Gwen Ifill a "cleaning lady" and described William Rhoden of The New York Times as "a quota hire," the group said.

Sharpton said he was writing to the Federal Communications Commission about Imus' remarks.

"This is not some unemployed comic like Michael Richards," Sharpton said, referring to the "Seinfeld" actor who used the N-word and referred to lynching in a rant last year. "This is an established figure, allowed to use the airwaves for sexist and racist remarks."

http://www.comcast.net/entertainmen...MENT&fn=/2007/04/07/630597.html&cvqh=itn_imus

Believe me I am not in any way shape or form supporting Imus. That being said why is it that sharpton is able to blackmale sponsors and network stations into doing what he wants. He constantly downs anybody thats not for him. I dont like the fact that he is the USA police and monitors everything anybody says. I obviously don't listen to the Imus show but I have to say if he said that he should be talked to about it by a network executive but a man of his experience and longevity in broadcasting should not be fired and never allowed to work again. About Richards thats a different story and I assure anybody that he wont make it to TV again.

Why do we have to go into seizures everytime someone says something stupid?

We have a system already in place to deal with this - its called "If you are so offended by what this man said - stop listening to him, stop purchasing the products that are advertised by his program, and write/call/email his station and express your displeasure."

Otherwise, WHO GIVES A FLYING F*CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry...I know what he said was nasty. But I'm just too fed up with our political thought-police to care. Hip-hop artists call women nappy-headed ho's and worse all the time, videos that revolve around women showing themselves to be as whoreish as possible, and our society has become one where women "prove" they are independent and powerful by behaving just like "hos"...

Why am I supposed to be shocked and offended at this statement simply because the guy who said the disgusting remark was white instead of black?

He is a shock jock. His job is to say stupid things. Who the heck cares? This is America. If people want to say stupid, mean, hateful things, they have every right to. Personally, Id rather say intelligent, nice, and good things. But that is the whole point of freedom! To give each person the opportunity to choose between good and evil.

He is a shock jock. His job is to say stupid things. Who the heck cares? This is America. If people want to say stupid, mean, hateful things, they have every right to. Personally, Id rather say intelligent, nice, and good things. But that is the whole point of freedom! To give each person the opportunity to choose between good and evil.

The point is, these comments have been downplayed in the media. I think it is because Imus uses his show to prop up liberals. He was a big backer of Kerry and went (and still does) out of his way to insult Pres Bush and VP Cheney

As I asked in the first post - you know what would be happening if Rush or Sean (or any conservative) had said the same things

It would still be the lead story in most paper and nightly news shows

Red States,

I think you are right on this one. I think that it is perfectly obvious that if Rush, Sean, O'Reilly had said this they would have been fired by now or at the very least crucified (sorry for the Easter pun) and made to do a Mel Gibson-style apology filled with - "I'm meeting with African-American cheerleaders to find out why I hate - kind of mea culpas.

If Franken, Garafalo, Maher had said it, it would have been a sick joke. The people who heard it might have shaken their heads. Most people wouldn't have heard it because the media wouldn't have picked it up as a lead story.

Red States,

I think you are right on this one. I think that it is perfectly obvious that if Rush, Sean, O'Reilly had said this they would have been fired by now or at the very least crucified (sorry for the Easter pun) and made to do a Mel Gibson-style apology filled with - "I'm meeting with African-American cheerleaders to find out why I hate - kind of mea culpas.

If Franken, Garafalo, Maher had said it, it would have been a sick joke. The people who heard it might have shaken their heads. Most people wouldn't have heard it because the media wouldn't have picked it up as a lead story.

Liberals walk through life looking for things to be offended over, and they are always looking for examples of racism from the right - whether legitimate or not

I remember this example of liberal compassion

Julianne Malveaux on Justice Thomas:
"The man is on the Court. You know, I hope his wife feeds him lots of eggs and butter and he dies early like many black men do, of heart disease. Well, that’s how I feel. He is an absolutely reprehensible person."

Imus is a loyal bushie, a racist, a conservative, a liberal hater. That's why his racist conservative bosses aren't doing anything about his racist comments. One couldn't tell the difference between him, Limbaugh, Savage and Coulter.

All one has to do is go to media matters and do a search. I did and I came up with 99 article mentioning Imus. Here a few titles from the search:

Echoing producer, Imus declared: "We thought" man who confessed to killing Ramsey "was Ned Lamont," added: "[W]e're supporting Lieberman, if you did not know that"
Friday, August 18, 2006 2:11PM

Imus producer on man who admitted killing Ramsey: "He looks like Ned Lamont, actually. Is that who you want representing you, Connecticut?"
Thursday, August 17, 2006 12:34PM

Imus and McGuirk: Zarqawi's death "bad news" for the "liberal elite news media"?
Thursday, June 8, 2006 7:35PM

Imus smeared Hillary Clinton, "that buck-toothed witch, Satan," and Gore, "the phoniest bastard on the planet"
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 8:06PM

Limbaugh, Imus, Carlson touted Drudge story on DNC even after Drudge issued apparent retraction
Tuesday, May 23, 2006 6:01PM

Imus's McGuirk and McCord refused to apologize for attacks on Jill Carroll
Monday, April 3, 2006 5:15PM

Note to usmessageboard readers Jill Carroll was a jouranlist who was kidnapped by terrorists and realeased. She said she was treated well and this angered the loyal bushies endnote

Matthews cited Savage's "Bareback Mounting" characterization of Brokeback Mountain; Imus cited producer's "Fudgepack Mountain" remark
Thursday, January 19, 2006 7:50PM

Led by Cheney, Imus in the Morning became Brit Hume fan club
Thursday, January 20, 2005 6:11PM

MSNBC apologized for racist commentary on Imus
Monday, November 29, 2004 12:17PM

Imus anchor on Palestinians: "Stinking animals. They ought to drop the bomb right there, kill 'em all right now"
Friday, November 19, 2004 6:22PM

Imus has taken many cheap shots against Pres Bush and VP Cheney

He openly backed Kerry in 04 and Dems in 06

Next you will say Chris Matthews is a conservative

Here is Imus at his "best"

Imus, Barnicle Fantasize About Republicans on Gallows: Cheney Would 'Wet His Pants'

Imus: "I was – I tried to imagine how various members of the current administration would behave were they subjected to the gallows as Saddam Hussein was. Um, and I can see Rumsfeld –"

Barnicle: “He wouldn't take it. No blindfold for Rumsfeld.”

Imus: "That's what I was thinking, you know. ‘F-you.' You know, you go to the gallows with the noose you want, not the noose you– or the noose you have, not the noose you want–"

Barnicle: "That's exactly right."

Imus: "Or Whatever. But Cheney–"

Barnicle: "Just as that trap door opens, he'd drop an f-bomb to all of them."

Imus: "How about Cheney?"

Barnicle: “I don't think Cheney would make it up the steps.”

Imus: "Now this is a guy who would, this is a guy – he'd wet his pants and he'd whine and start
crying."

Barnicle: "Well He would order as a last meal 400 pounds of bacon."

Imus: "Yeah, ‘cause this is a guy got six deferments just to get out of Vietnam because he had, what was that phrase he used – he had some other more important issues to deal with. One of ’em, the last one, was getting his wife pregnant just to keep from having to deal with this."

Barnicle: "Oh God."

Imus: "Uh, who else? Wolfowitz, he'd cry."

Barnicle: "Oh yeah, he'd be shot in the back running away."

Imus: "Yeah, exactly. Yeah, or some of the other key players."

Barnicle: "Richard Perle."

Imus: "Oh, he'd, oh God, he'd, he would soil himself. So–"

Barnicle: "Can't you see him being dragged up by his cap?"

Imus: "Oh yeah."

Barnicle: "Clinging, splinters in his fingernails."

Imus: “A combover of his hanging all down the side of his head.”

In one of the oddest transitions Imus then asks: "Everybody well in your family, your kids, wife, all that?

Barnicle replies: “You know, thank God, everybody is, and I hope everybody is in your household and everyone else's household, because the health of your family, everything else pales in comparison to that. So you get up in the morning and draw a breath, Don, you're ahead on the day.”

Such wonderful family values, these guys.

http://newsbusters.org/node/9930

So it sounds like Imus has had a history of saying inappropriate things...yet people continue to choose to listen to him. Sounds like the public has spoken, regardless of how badly the media wants to silence him for not thinking the right way.

Either we have freedom of speech in this country or we don't. Either we are allowed to be racist, sexist, pro-gay, anti-gay, etc. etc. etc. etc. or we can start to be like other "civilized" nations who fine and/or imprison people expressing unpopular opinions.

Imus is a shock jock who has said some disgusting things. This sounds like a fairly accurate description of about every major talk-radio show host on the planet. He continues to say these things and people continue to listen to him...therefore he has found an audience who either agrees with him or enjoys being shocked and offended by him.

Why is this a story?

He's not a politician, he doesn't make policy decisions, he isn't a school teacher influencing the minds of the young, he hasn't incited people to violence...again, WHO THE F*CK CARES!

Are we seriously so tightly wrapped as a nation that we can't say, "gee, I don't agree with that statement," without needing to lead the person who said it to the guillotine?

I do not listen to him, so I do not care

The double standard is what I am talking about.

We don't have free speech in America. If you have anything to say about whites, Christians, or people from Utah, you can say the vilest thing. If you have anything to say about blacks or Jews, your life is in danger.

We don't have free speech in America. If you have anything to say about whites, Christians, or people from Utah, you can say the vilest thing. If you have anything to say about blacks or Jews, your life is in danger.

Only from the oh so tolerant Muslims and liberals

Only from the oh so tolerant Muslims and liberals

It's so funny hearing CONSERVATIVES comparing muslims to liberals when muslims are more CONSERVATIVE than republicans are. Muslims are just as intolerant as thier FELLOW CONSERVATIVES in America who call themselves REPUBLICANS.

It's so funny hearing CONSERVATIVES comparing muslims to liberals when muslims are more CONSERVATIVE than republicans are. Muslims are just as intolerant as thier FELLOW CONSERVATIVES in America who call themselves REPUBLICANS.

The PC Police will arrest you for the above post

Muslims are the victims in the war on terror - or didn't you read the DNC talking points?

Why do we have to go into seizures everytime someone says something stupid?

If we did go into seizures every time somebody says something stupid, the nation would be in <i>status epilepticus</i> after the six years of the Bush administration.

If we did go into seizures every time somebody says something stupid, the nation would be in <i>status epilepticus</i> after the six years of the Bush administration.

Pelosi and Reid are providing great material after only three months

Your Right. He is a liberal Butt Kisser...Just like you are a republican ass muncher.. So what is the difference between him and you ? That you dont call them nappy headed hos?

The point is, these comments have been downplayed in the media. I think it is because Imus uses his show to prop up liberals. He was a big backer of Kerry and went (and still does) out of his way to insult Pres Bush and VP Cheney

As I asked in the first post - you know what would be happening if Rush or Sean (or any conservative) had said the same things

It would still be the lead story in most paper and nightly news shows

Your Right. He is a liberal Butt Kisser...Just like you are a republican ass muncher.. So what is the difference between him and you ? That you dont call them nappy headed hos?

Now Imus is bowing before Rev Al this morning

I still ask if libs would be so tolerant if a conservative tlak show host had said the same things

Forum List

Back