If Romney doesn't win, what's next for the GOP?

nodoginnafight

No Party Affiliation
Dec 15, 2008
Georgia
If Mitt Romney doesn't win (and how big an if that is, is certainly open for interpretation) how does the GOP react?

From Inaguration Day until today, Republicans have done absolutely everything within their power to guarantee that Obama is a one term president. They've denied every bit of encouraging economic news; they've pooh-poohed the justice inflicted on Bin Laden; they've phoned-in 247 fillabusters in the Senate to grind government to a halt; they empowered a radical fringe group to question citizenship, religion, etc, and now that radical fringe group is biting them in the butt; and they even nominated a candidate even they didn't like because they thought he would be the most likely to beat Obama.

They've pulled every procedural and public relations gambit they could dream up in order to attack non-stop.

So what do they do if all that doesn't work?

Will they give statesmanship and leadership another chance to win back former-Republicans like myself who detest what they've turned themselves into? Or would admitting a mistake be too humiliating? Do they double-down on the snarling, sputtering, tantrums?

Last edited:
The GOP in Congress will continue to Block Obama's Agenda and try and Force him to Compromise. As they were sent there to do in the 2010 Republican Wave.

the more relevant question is if obama doesn't win, what does that mean for the democrats?

The GOP in Congress will continue to Block Obama's Agenda and try and Force him to Compromise. As they were sent there to do in the 2010 Republican Wave.

double-down, huh?
btw - a fillabuster is not an invitation to compromise. That's a demand to do it my way or no way at all.

The individual mandate was a compromise to conservatives. They dreamed it up. They supported it.... Until Obama said OK. Then it became "communism incarnate."

I think the OP is forgetting that even if Romney loses it is looking pretty likely the GOP will gain seats in Both Houses of Congress. That is hardly a Repudiation of them Blocking Obama in the Congress, It's a vote for them to continue.

If Obama wins and the GOP gains seats in Both Houses of Congress it will be a clear Vote by the American People for Divided Government. The Message to Obama will be clear, You get your 4 more years, but you better be willing to REALLY compromise this time and move you ass back to the Center, Unless you want to be a lame duck President for at least 2 years.

double-down, huh?
btw - a fillabuster is not an invitation to compromise. That's a demand to do it my way or no way at all.

The individual mandate was a compromise to conservatives. They dreamed it up. They supported it.... Until Obama said OK. Then it became "communism incarnate."

The American People knew what they were doing when they Swept the Republicans in, in 2010. Now if they give them even more seats this time, but Re-elect Obama do you really think they are saying Republicans you better do what ever Obama says? Hell no they would be reaffirming they do not like Obama's Agenda, and want congress to be able to check him, and force him to be more Moderate.

Though I am sure he wont get get Message.

I think the OP is forgetting that even if Romney loses it is looking pretty likely the GOP will gain seats in Both Houses of Congress. That is hardly a Repudiation of them Blocking Obama in the Congress, It's a vote for them to continue.

If Obama wins and the GOP gains seats in Both Houses of Congress it will be a clear Vote by the American People for Divided Government. The Message to Obama will be clear, You get your 4 more years, but you better be willing to REALLY compromise this time and move you ass back to the Center, Unless you want to be a lame duck President for at least 2 years.

The GOP definition for "really compromise" has been - "Do it our way as if we had won."
So let me get this straight. You're spin is that by re-electing Obama, Americans would be signalling that they don't want him to pursue his agenda anymore?

And the GOP - after having shot every bullet they could to defeat Obama and failing - would read the message as "America wants you to keep doing what you're doing"?

Last edited:

The GOP definition for "really compromise" has been - "Do it our way as if we had won."
So let me get this straight. You're spin is that by re-electing Obama, Americans would be signalling that they don't want him to pursue his agenda anymore?

You are quite a Libtard for someone who claims 'no dog in the fight.'

America's huge political problem right now is that Harry Reid has simply refused to engage in his Constitutional duty to pass a budget, which would require him to seek compromise with the people's duly elected House of Representative majority.

America's huge political problem right now is that Harry Reid has simply refused to engage in his Constitutional duty to pass a budget, which would require him to seek compromise with the people's duly elected House of Representative majority.

247 GOP fillabusters in the Senate have blocked budgets not Harry Reid. Sorry, but no amount of vulgarities can change the truth.

I'm seeing a whole lot of double down.
I've heard a very familiar quote about repeating the same actions and expecting different results before ....

Hmmmmm .... where WAS that?

247 GOP fillabusters in the Senate have blocked budgets not Harry Reid. Sorry, but no amount of vulgarities can change the truth.

Fail, Libtard.

'“We do not need to bring a budget to the floor this year — it’s done, we don’t need to do it,” Reid said'

Reid: Senate will not pass a budget this year | The Daily Caller

If Mitt Romney doesn't win (and how big an if that is, is certainly open for interpretation) how does the GOP react?

From Inaguration Day until today, Republicans have done absolutely everything within their power to guarantee that Obama is a one term president. They've denied every bit of encouraging economic news; they've pooh-poohed the justice inflicted on Bin Laden; they've phoned-in 247 fillabusters in the Senate to grind government to a halt; they empowered a radical fringe group to question citizenship, religion, etc, and now that radical fringe group is biting them in the butt; and they even nominated a candidate even they didn't like because they thought he would be the most likely to beat Obama.

They've pulled every procedural and public relations gambit they could dream up in order to attack non-stop.

So what do they do if all that doesn't work?

Will they give statesmanship and leadership another chance to win back former-Republicans like myself who detest what they've turned themselves into? Or would admitting a mistake be too humiliating? Do they double-down on the snarling, sputtering, tantrums?

Yeah, the democrats were real open to input with Obamacare. Sheesh, some of you guys are so dishonest.

As a lapsed Republican I have pretty much given up on the GOP.

If getting beaten by an incredibly shallow and incompetent disaster like Obama doesn't wake Republicans up to what an unmitigated disaster they themselves have become, nothing will, and my only hope is that a third major party is born. One made up of sane people.

I am seriously depressed and angry at just how batshit insane the right has become.

You know what's funny, though? I was talking to my mother on the phone the other day. Just for a little background, she was our state's chairman of the ACU during the Reagan years. If you don't know what the ACU is, you aren't a conservative, you're a dipshit.

Anyway, as most of you know by now, I am in favor of gays being allowed to file a federal married tax return and to collect Social Security death benefits and all that stuff. In short, I am "pro gay marriage".

As my parents are old school conservative, even more paleo-conservative than me, I have been withholding my position on gay marriage from my parents out of respect for them. My dad has poor health and I was seriously concerned if he found out where I stood on the issue, it would kill him.

Well, the other day my mother starting going off about how batshit crazy the right has become.

Whaaaaaaaaat?

And somehow during the conversation she revealed she was pro gay marriage!

WHAAAAAAAAAAAT???

I could not believe it. This was a HUGE load off my chest.

And she fricking HATES Romney. And Mitch McConnell.

We have fought for years over all kinds of things, and then to suddenly discover how synched we were on these particular things was mind-boggling.

So maybe there is a ray of hope for the right, after all.

Last edited:
I don't understand how anyone could think the GOP losing the WH, but gaining in Both Houses means they need to change the way they have been doing things in the Congress.

I'm seeing a whole lot of double down.
I've heard a very familiar quote about repeating the same actions and expecting different results before ....

Hmmmmm .... where WAS that?

The Republicans won't be kissing obama ass. Mark that down.

“Let’s see it,” a frustrated Sen. Jeff Sessions said on the Senate floor Monday afternoon. “Let’s bring it forward.”

By “it,” Sessions meant a Democratic proposal for a 2012 federal budget. In recent days Sessions, the top Republican on the Senate Budget Committee, has been asking, pushing, pleading, cajoling and begging Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to put forward a Democratic plan. So far, Reid has steadfastly refused.

That’s nothing new. The last time the Senate passed a budget was April 29, 2009, which was, if you are counting — and Jeff Sessions is — 755 days ago.'

Surprise! Harry Reid, Democrats, Say No To Any 2012 Or 2013 Budget Bill | Right Wing News

Forum List

Back