If prostitution was legalized countrywide...?

so you, Sangha, think it is okay for the Brothels to be able to tell citizens of the united states that they can not go to a store and buy their own shampoo, or that they can not go to visit their child, or that they must stay in their working establishment, even when the Brothel is not paying them, even on their time off?
Do you mean to say that prostitutes are classified as sex offenders...even where prostitution is legal?

No, he means to lie because he can't back his position with facts

so you, Sangha, think it is okay for the Brothels to be able to tell citizens of the united states that they can not go to a store and buy their own shampoo, or that they can not go to visit their child, or that they must stay in their working establishment, even when the Brothel is not paying them, even on their time off?
Do you mean to say that prostitutes are classified as sex offenders...even where prostitution is legal?

No, he means to lie because he can't back his position with facts
She. And I've never seen her lie.

If prostitution was legalized countrywide, do you think it would lead to a great many women being forced into the trade against their will?

I've always argued on principle that prostitution shouldn't be against the law. I mean, why shouldn't a woman be allowed to legally sell what she can legally give away for free. But I recently heard an opposing argument I hadn't thought about. Basically that legalized prostitution would lead to more, not less oppression of women and many would be forced into the trade against their will. And for that reason, surrendering this liberty is worth the price.

I'm not totally convinced, but the argument does make some sense.

Why would they be forced into prostitution against their will? Nobody forces people to do other jobs, so I don't understand how this is a legitimate concern.

Because it really happens?

It happens now, because prostitution is illegal people can get away with this. The prostitutes aren't protected by the law because they're technically acting outside of the law.

If prostitution were legal it would be taxed and controlled like any other job, and it would take the power away from these street pimps that force the women to do it so actually less women would be "forced" into although alot more women would probably do it now because the of the poor employment situation. I think it should be legal but the conservatives in this country would never allow it, Germany makes billions of their legal prostitution trade.

"wonder if the bordello owners will be invited to high school job fairs?"

Being a stripper is legal but I don't see any of them going to high school job fairs to recruit.

would the gvt restrict where a bordello is set up, like ''not within so many blocks from a school?''

will the gvt restrict the hours they can be opened?

It could be like the rules they have for Liquor stores, strip clubs and XXX book stores, the bordelos could be in the seedy part of town away from the schools. None of those businesses have any problems with that. The brothels could have the same type of hours as the XXX book stores I guess, those are 24/7 in the city I live at.

No one is forced to work in a brothel. No one is being told they can't go to a store and buy their own shampoo, or visit their child, etc

If you had a point, you wouldn't have to lie

Really? Why are you so full of bs on this Sangha? do you not know how to read or did you NOT read this thread and the links I have provided that says precisely what I have been saying?

The Nevada counties prefer not to acknowledge the contribution made by licensed prostitution to their bottom line. Some counties and towns impose some extraordinary restrictions on commercial sex workers. The net effect of these regulations is to separate sex workers from the local community. Some jurisdictions require brothel prostitutes to leave the county when they are not working, while others take the opposite tack, forbidding them to leave the brothel where they work. Some do not allow the children of the women who work in the brothels to live in the same area.

The city of Winnemucca requires brothel workers who have cars to register the vehicle with the local police, and workers are not permitted to leave the brothel after 5pm.

In some places, registered sex workers are not allowed to have cars at all, so that they must pay someone else to buy necessities like shampoo and soap.

These unique regulations treat brothels and the women who work there as if they are not a part of the local community
– despite the contributions they make to the state and the community in the form of taxes, fees and jobs

how would that work though?

let's say the bordello owner fires the prostitute, does she then collect unemployment compensation, but if she refuses to take a new job offer for a new prostitution place, and wants to get out of the field of prostitution, do we take her unemployment away because she refused the prostitution job offer?

Great question Care.

I think there would have to be an exception built into the legalization that a prostitute could not be an employee of anyone.

They would have to be self employed only.

I think being independent workers could possibly solve the problem, but local gvts in Vegas have regulated the prostitutes as outcasts....

of course other problems could arise from being independent workers. and this would have to be thought through from A-Z as well...

I see no advantages for the registered sex workers, working for the big business brothels, as it stands now. with all the gvt regulating of their off time.

how would that work though?

let's say the bordello owner fires the prostitute, does she then collect unemployment compensation, but if she refuses to take a new job offer for a new prostitution place, and wants to get out of the field of prostitution, do we take her unemployment away because she refused the prostitution job offer?

Great question Care.

I think there would have to be an exception built into the legalization that a prostitute could not be an employee of anyone.

I think being independent workers could possibly solve the problem, but local gvts in Vegas have regulated the prostitutes as outcasts....

of course other problems could arise from being independent workers. and this would have to be thought through from A-Z as well...

I see no advantages for the registered sex workers, working for the big business brothels, as it stands now. with all the gvt regulating of their off time.

No advantages? I thought those women made hundreds of thousands of dollars?

Great question Care.

Why don't you research it and come back and tell us if they do or don't make that kind of money working at the legal brothels in Vegas?

also, couldn't they make that kind of money without being regulated and above board legal?

Why don't you research it and come back and tell us if they do or don't make that kind of money working at the legal brothels in Vegas?

also, couldn't they make that kind of money without being regulated and above board legal?

Well I watched the show Cat House on HBO and I know the girls on there said they were making 6 figure salaries, I haven't looked into it past that. Plus I don't know if they could make that much money being prostitutes illegally because the prices they charge in the bunny ranch are way above what prostitutes charge on the street, some of the girls at the ranch charge over $1000 per hour but on the street its like $150 an hour depending where you go, I definently think the girls are better off at the ranch than working for a pimp on the street who takes most of their earnings, beats them, and than gets them hooked on drugs so they won't leave.

Well I watched the show Cat House on HBO and I know the girls on there said they were making 6 figure salaries, I haven't looked into it past that. Plus I don't know if they could make that much money being prostitutes illegally because the prices they charge in the bunny ranch are way above what prostitutes charge on the street, some of the girls at the ranch charge over $1000 per hour but on the street its like $150 an hour depending where you go, I definently think the girls are better off at the ranch than working for a pimp on the street who takes most of their earnings, beats them, and than gets them hooked on drugs so they won't leave.

I don't know if these comments are made up or real but read this:

Sexwork Cyber Resource Center || Nevada

First you have to register with the Sherrifs office. There is no privacy. You give up anywhere from 65% to 85% of your money to the house, government, IRS and the new prostitute tax the state is now charging.
After your airline tickets, clothing, full price drinks and other misc. Fees you leave with little. To top it off, you are treated like a work horse and fined for just about everything. Fall asleep on you 14 hour shift at Old Bridge now named the new Mustang and get $100 fine, late for a line up, leave early ect $100-500 in fines.

The way the girls get treated by the madams is sad and uncalled for. There are so many guys who only want to pay $150-$200 and the girls are forced to take the party when after the taxi cut of 20-30%, house cut and room fees they get only around $40.

We still have to pay weekly doctors fees and taxes on top of that! I can say that I tried 2 houses and I just didn't have it in me to stay. I was happy for the education and I learned more than most about safe sex. I am gratefull for that. I just can not see working myself like that for so little.

Many of the women in those houses are lacking spirit and are quite sad. Men are called tricks and there is much bitterness. It is not uncommon for men to leave unhappy and feeling bad about what they did. I had one guy say he felt worse than he did when he came in after his session. Its the turn them and burn them method that makes all involved feel bad.

this from the same link above as well
The women have to see as many "tricks" a night as possible to make any money at all. The brothel owners are worse than any pimp. They abuse and imprison women and are fully protected by the state. I thought brothels were a wonderfull idea before I knew what they are all about. Now I can't believe how that sort of business is acceptable and legal when it seems it is the most harmfull of all.

Care4all maybe it depends on the ranch? from watching the show the girls at the Bunny Ranch seemed happy but then again you never know, the owner could be putting those girls up to saying those things for publicity, I do know someone who actually went to the Bunny Ranch and he said the girls charged so much money he couldnt afford anything but to sit there and have a drink with one of them, so somebody is making some serious money in those places.

this from another prostitute on this blog:

Registering with the sheriff can be a conundrum, as fingerprints are sent to the FBI. If a woman is known to work as a prostitute, she is subject to various social and economic penalties such as being unable to get health insurance, discrimination in housing or future employment, or accusations of unfit motherhood. In several countries a known prostitute is not allowed to immigrate or her travel is severely restricted.

I am not opposed to brothels per se. They can be a good option, especially for less experienced workers who can benefit from the shared knowledge of other professionals. But when that is the only legitimate way a prostitute can work, she finds herself with no other way to conduct business legally, while the power of third parties over her is lopsidedly strengthened. This naturally leads to exploitative circumstances. Until the needs and desires of prostitutes are fully considered and included in any schemes legitimizing our profession, many of us will choose to work illegally rather than sacrifice values important to us like freedom, privacy, and control over our work, lives and bodies.

this from another prostitute on this blog:

Registering with the sheriff can be a conundrum, as fingerprints are sent to the FBI. If a woman is known to work as a prostitute, she is subject to various social and economic penalties such as being unable to get health insurance, discrimination in housing or future employment, or accusations of unfit motherhood. In several countries a known prostitute is not allowed to immigrate or her travel is severely restricted.

I am not opposed to brothels per se. They can be a good option, especially for less experienced workers who can benefit from the shared knowledge of other professionals. But when that is the only legitimate way a prostitute can work, she finds herself with no other way to conduct business legally, while the power of third parties over her is lopsidedly strengthened. This naturally leads to exploitative circumstances. Until the needs and desires of prostitutes are fully considered and included in any schemes legitimizing our profession, many of us will choose to work illegally rather than sacrifice values important to us like freedom, privacy, and control over our work, lives and bodies.

Wow, thats alot I didn't think about. I wonder what the situation is like for prostitutes in countries like Germany and the Netherlands?

Care4all maybe it depends on the ranch? from watching the show the girls at the Bunny Ranch seemed happy but then again you never know, the owner could be putting those girls up to saying those things for publicity, I do know someone who actually went to the Bunny Ranch and he said the girls charged so much money he couldnt afford anything but to sit there and have a drink with one of them, so somebody is making some serious money in those places.

Yes, the gvt and the brothel owners make a ton of money, and I'm certain the girls do as well, in a FEW of the well known higher priced brothels, but I do not believe this is the case for MOST of their legal sex workers.

the legalization of prostitution is NOT as peachy keen and wonderful of a situation for most of the prostitutes working in them though and for men to just PRETEND that it is....emanates the shallowness of men....

There is more to this legalization through brothels that is deeper than the guys 'dong', legally penetrating her....and all aspects of legal prostitution, including the prostitute and how she is marginalized, should be on the table to discuss and consider, before any federal legalization....besides the fact that this should never be done federally, it is constitutionally up to the States or the people within the State.

I don't know if these comments are made up or real but read this:

Sexwork Cyber Resource Center || Nevada

First you have to register with the Sherrifs office. There is no privacy. You give up anywhere from 65% to 85% of your money to the house, government, IRS and the new prostitute tax the state is now charging.
After your airline tickets, clothing, full price drinks and other misc. Fees you leave with little. To top it off, you are treated like a work horse and fined for just about everything. Fall asleep on you 14 hour shift at Old Bridge now named the new Mustang and get $100 fine, late for a line up, leave early ect $100-500 in fines.

The way the girls get treated by the madams is sad and uncalled for. There are so many guys who only want to pay $150-$200 and the girls are forced to take the party when after the taxi cut of 20-30%, house cut and room fees they get only around $40.

We still have to pay weekly doctors fees and taxes on top of that! I can say that I tried 2 houses and I just didn't have it in me to stay. I was happy for the education and I learned more than most about safe sex. I am gratefull for that. I just can not see working myself like that for so little.

Many of the women in those houses are lacking spirit and are quite sad. Men are called tricks and there is much bitterness. It is not uncommon for men to leave unhappy and feeling bad about what they did. I had one guy say he felt worse than he did when he came in after his session. Its the turn them and burn them method that makes all involved feel bad.

And I think expanded legalization and deregulation would help this. More brothels means more competition which should solve some of the injustice perpetrated by the establishments.

I think one possible outcome is that it would prevent those from getting into the business who are just doing it to pay for their next hit. I mean who really wants to have sex with a crack whore? And what business is gonna last that employs them where as on the other hand since it's legal it's no longer a job done out of desperation but rather because someone wants to. I watched The Cat House too and it appeared anyway that most of those women wanted to be there.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back