If people only knew how many people are being killed.

young men are always full of bravo and macho...they want to fight and kill....after all...isnt that why we send this age group to war...i once heard it estimated that only 5% of soldiers engaged in a battle are actually firing at the enemy...most are simply trying to stay alive....i have no idea if that figure is true or not....just a lauching point for discussion.

no insult was meant by the CSM or myself, the point is guys like that are out there. the drastic change in this young man is a sign that he most likely has seen the eye of the dragon and has done his part to tear that eye out. as I said before good on him, we need more young men like him.

weren't more people killed in the bombing of dresdan? I am not sure...and did truman not threaten a non existence 3rd bomb without immeidate unconditional surreneder?

I will have to just bottom line a long story. Young man comes into where I work. He has been deployed to afg and iraq. I ask him how he was doing....he makes several comments:

"if people here knew how many people we have killed.....there is an endless supply of taliban"

"i kill as many of the bastards as I can"

here is where I chided him...not to rejoice in killing..there is a difference in doing ones duty and wanting to kill....his reply:

"they are more than willing to kill me"

The fact of the matter is that a combat soldier’s training instils a brutal indifference to killing. Not only do the best trained soldiers have a complete willingness to kill, they are exceptionally good at it, and, if the truth be known, many exult in it. It’s also a fact that the more combat and carnage you experience the less killing comes to mean.

It’s quite natural to boast about kills amongst each other, it’s a way of building one’s street cred. No kills, no cred. Some also have no worries about talking to family, friends or even strangers about their kills. Many, however are reluctant to talk of their combat experiences outside of their circle of military peers. I don’t think there’s anything untoward that should be read into this young soldier’s claims to have killed many of the enemy. It may even be his way of coping with the stress of combat.

young men are always full of bravo and macho...they want to fight and kill....after all...isnt that why we send this age group to war...i once heard it estimated that only 5% of soldiers engaged in a battle are actually firing at the enemy...most are simply trying to stay alive....i have no idea if that figure is true or not....just a lauching point for discussion.

Haven't heard of the 5% figure, but according to war historian, S L A Marshall,
in WW2 no more than a quarter of the men actually fired their weapons on the battlefield. Religious scruples against killing was one reason, fear another.

What you have to take into account is that those battles were fought largely by conscripts. With today's standing and highly trained armies that is not the case.

Forum List

Back