If Only We Listened

Ron Paul has made some of the most outrageous statements ever uttered by an American politician and he has been one of the least effective politicians in Washington. There is no surprise why he wasn't taken seriously.

For example?

For example?

Let's ignore for a moment his newsletters .. which no one could ever become the POTUS after having their name associated with such racist and insane vitriol .. but let's ignore those for the sake of argument.

Ron Paul is stuck 200 years in the past and wanted to get rid of Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare, the Department of Education, and many other safety nets the American people rely on.

"Is bailing out people that chose to live on the coastline a proper function of the federal government?"

"Why do people in Arizona have to be robbed in order to support the people on the coast?"

Robbed?

Obviously Paul doesn't even know the function of the federal government .. AND, even more incredible .. his district is on the coast and has been hit hard by hurricanes.

In all his years in Congress, he's never held a leadership post or chaired a committee or subcommittee.

I've got some work calling .. I be back with more insane Paul comments and why he shouldn't have been taken seriously.

I like Ron Paul but I think his ideas are far enough out there that most Americans knew he didn't have much of a chance at the presidency. If he'd reeled in some of his more astonishing Libertarian views I think he would have done much better.

Exactly.

Libertarians can't understand why people are reluctant to vote for people who are essantially saying that it's a good thing when losers in the game of capitalism starve to death.

Can't imagine why people reject such a message, can you?

Let's ignore for a moment his newsletters .. which no one could ever become the POTUS after having their name associated with such racist and insane vitriol .. but let's ignore those for the sake of argument.

Ron Paul is stuck 200 years in the past and wanted to get rid of Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare, the Department of Education, and many other safety nets the American people rely on.

"Is bailing out people that chose to live on the coastline a proper function of the federal government?"

"Why do people in Arizona have to be robbed in order to support the people on the coast?"

Robbed?

Obviously Paul doesn't even know the function of the federal government .. AND, even more incredible .. his district is on the coast and has been hit hard by hurricanes.

In all his years in Congress, he's never held a leadership post or chaired a committee or subcommittee.

I've got some work calling .. I be back with more insane Paul comments and why he shouldn't have been taken seriously.

He wanted to make it so young people had the option of opting out of social security, considering that the federal government has squandered that money and it's going to run dry.

Here's Paul's response when asked if he supports abolishing the Dept. of Education.

I do believe in eliminating the Department of Education.

First, the Constitution does not authorize the Department of Education, and the founders never envisioned the federal government dictating those education policies.

Second, it is a huge bureaucracy that squanders our money. We send billions of dollars to Washington and get back less than we sent. The money would be much better off left in states and local communities rather than being squandered in Washington.

Finally, I think that the smallest level of government possible best performs education. Teachers, parents, and local community leaders should be making decisions about exactly how our children should be taught, not Washington bureaucrats. The Department of Education has given us No Child Left Behind, massive unfunded mandates, indoctrination, and in come cases, forced medication of our children with psychotropic drugs. We should get rid of all of that and get those choices back in the hands of the people.

He's never held a leadership post because he says he doesn't want to have to compromise his vote to get things accomplished.

Exactly.

Libertarians can't understand why people are reluctant to vote for people who are essantially saying that it's a good thing when losers in the game of capitalism starve to death.

When you spin it like it's "our message" it certainly does make us look bad, like we want people to suffer. Our message is that the free market is the best system we have and we only cause more problems by ignoring it.

Exactly.

I agree with a lot of Libertarian principles but they need to tone it down if they are going to make any head way with the mainstream. All that "Abolish the post office!" stuff scares people. A rational discussion of ways to shrink the size of government for the benefit of the people would be less scary and get them more support. But, like we've seen in this thread, suggesting that is met with harsh criticism from true believers.

I actually think a fusion of Libertarian and old school GOP values could be the beginning of a new life on conservative thinking in this country. I think that would be pretty cool.

Perot got over 20% of the vote, so it *could* happen. I feel very positive for the future of third parties. Obama showed what tremendous power the internet has to organize and raise small donations to staggering numbers.

I think the libertarians here should organize now, maybe contact a 2012 potential candidate now - and get going now building an internet presence. The stranglehold of the two party system can certainly crack wide open if a third party takes control of organizing a movement via the internet.

Most young people are not affiliated with a party, and the same globalization and demographic shifts that favor the dems will for sure favor third parties.

I felt the same way, until this last election. NOBODY I know liked either McCain or Obama but they all voted for one or the other because they stupidly believed the self fulfilling prophesy that if you don't vote for a dem or a rep you are wasting your vote.

The American people have proven they are too stupid to get rid of the democrats and the republicans, the two most corrupt parties in the history of our nation.

I think the Russians are right, America will fall.

Forum List

Back