If Only We Listened

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
I like Ron Paul but I think his ideas are far enough out there that most Americans knew he didn't have much of a chance at the presidency. If he'd reeled in some of his more astonishing Libertarian views I think he would have done much better.

I like Ron Paul but I think his ideas are far enough out there that most Americans knew he didn't have much of a chance at the presidency. If he'd reeled in some of his more astonishing Libertarian views I think he would have done much better.

If you are not a Republican or a Democrat you don't have a chance. They run the business.

Why should he have "reeled in" any of his views? I think that would have been a little disingenuous, and I'm glad he was honest.

And dillo, Ron Paul is a Republican, which is why he got the platform to announce his views.

Why should he have "reeled in" any of his views? I think that would have been a little disingenuous, and I'm glad he was honest.

And dillo, Ron Paul is a Republican, which is why he got the platform to announce his views.

Sorry but He will always be a libertarian in my book. One who sold out to try to get into the big game. Even the Republican party barely acknowleged his existence.

For the most part I don't think it was Ron Paul's ideas or views, rather the fringe that supported him and the more mainstream that included the fringe.

Why? To win and have a chance to do some good. I applaud his honesty, it's just no way to win in American politics. And yes, he is registered as a Republican but that doesn't mean he isn't a Libertarian at heart. Some might call that disingenuous, but I'd call it smart.

Sorry but He will always be a libertarian in my book. One who sold out to try to get into the big game. Even the Republican party barely acknowleged his existence.

He certainly has some libertarian-esque beliefs, but he's as much a "traditional conservative" in the fashion of Robert Taft, as he is a Libertarian. The Republican Party barely acknowledged him because he represented a threat to the status quo.

If you are not a Republican or a Democrat you don't have a chance. They run the business.

Perot got over 20% of the vote, so it *could* happen. I feel very positive for the future of third parties. Obama showed what tremendous power the internet has to organize and raise small donations to staggering numbers.

I think the libertarians here should organize now, maybe contact a 2012 potential candidate now - and get going now building an internet presence. The stranglehold of the two party system can certainly crack wide open if a third party takes control of organizing a movement via the internet.

Most young people are not affiliated with a party, and the same globalization and demographic shifts that favor the dems will for sure favor third parties.

Last edited:
Perot was also a billionaire who was able to use his personal fortune to get his name and message out to the public. The internet is a powerful tool, but as Ron Paul's campaign proved, without mainstream media support a candidate doesn't have a shot. Ron Paul was bigger on the internet than any other candidate running, but he was ridiculed and neglected when it came to the mainstream media. He got over 1 million votes but too many voters heard how we was a "kook" or a "fringe candidate" with no shot at winning.

And third party candidates are even worse off. Without Perot's money they can't get the exposure needed to get into the debates, and getting into the debates, in my opinion, is absolutely essential for any candidate that even hopes to make a dent in the establishment.

Perot was also a billionaire who was able to use his personal fortune to get his name and message out to the public. The internet is a powerful tool, but as Ron Paul's campaign proved, without mainstream media support a candidate doesn't have a shot. Ron Paul was bigger on the internet than any other candidate running, but he was ridiculed and neglected when it came to the mainstream media. He got over 1 million votes but too many voters heard how we was a "kook" or a "fringe candidate" with no shot at winning.

And third party candidates are even worse off. Without Perot's money they can't get the exposure needed to get into the debates, and getting into the debates, in my opinion, is absolutely essential for any candidate that even hopes to make a dent in the establishment.

When did Paul start his internet stuff? I doubt it was 2 or 4 years ago, and remember that Obama was still a long shot in the Rasmussen tracker even as recently as last february or so. In other words, he was working for a good 18 months at it before he started gaining momentum. I think Paul started too late. The media was in the tank for Hillary initially, "the first woman president," it was too juicy to not go all out for. I started seeing him get more media coverage in January, well over a year after people were talking about Obama running.

Are there any libertarians that you'd like to see go up in 2012, now? Who would make your short list? Do any of them have govt experience?

I'm tellin ya, the blackberry, the intertubes, the iphones, the whatchamajigger - kids are connected - get on it.

Last edited:
When did Paul start his internet stuff? I doubt it was 2 or 4 years ago, and remember that Obama was still a long shot in the Rasmussen tracker even as recently as last february or so. In other words, he was working for a good 18 months at it before he started gaining momentum. I think Paul started too late. The media was in the tank for Hillary initially, "the first woman president," it was too juicy to not go all out for.

Are there any libertarians that you'd like to see go up in 2012, now? Who would make your short list? Do any of them have govt experience?

I'm tellin ya, the blackberry, the intertubes, the iphones, the whatchamajigger - kids are connected - get on it.

I'd like to see Ron Paul go for the Republican nomination again, though I don't expect it considering he'd be 76 by that time.

The internet is a powerful tool, but it still pales in comparison to the media machine. If the media doesn't cover you, or when they do they remind their viewers that you have no chance, then you don't have a shot. Period. More voters rely on the television, especially older voters, than they do the internet. And it's all well and good to talk about supporting a Libertarian candidate now, but the Libertarian Party holds a nominating convention just like the two major parties claim to do. So while that person might win the nomination, it certainly wouldn't be written in stone until the Libertarian Convention.

Ron Paul got 19 THOUSAND write in votes
that is NOT a typo

even if you add in the combined vote for the constitution party and the libertarian party, you STILL dont have but a blip on the election

Last edited:
Ron Paul got 19 THOUSAND write in votes
that is NOT a typo

even if you add in the combined vote for the constitution party and the libertarian party, you STILL dont have but a blip on the election

Not a good year for third parties.

what year HAS been?

I suppose it depends on how you look at it. If you look at it in terms of winning then there hasn't been one. If you look at a third party candidate getting their message out to a lot of people, then 1992 with Ross Perot was very good. 2000 with Ralph Nader was pretty good as well. With the popularity of Ron Paul the Libertarian and Constitution parties certainly felt like they'd get some serious votes this year, but that didn't even come close to happening.

I suppose it depends on how you look at it. If you look at it in terms of winning then there hasn't been one. If you look at a third party candidate getting their message out to a lot of people, then 1992 with Ross Perot was very good. 2000 with Ralph Nader was pretty good as well. With the popularity of Ron Paul the Libertarian and Constitution parties certainly felt like they'd get some serious votes this year, but that didn't even come close to happening.
nader didnt get even close

what the thrid party's need to do is win some local and state elections and show they know how to govern, till then they should ignore the big show

3rd party's at best, can only play spoiler, and this year, they didnt even get that

nader didnt get even close

what the thrid party's need to do is win some local and state elections and show they know how to govern, till then they should ignore the big show

3rd party's at best, can only play spoiler, and this year, they didnt even get that

No, he didn't come close to winning but he got a lot of votes for an Independent candidate.

Third parties can't really get any traction at the local or state level either. They still get left out of debates and the Democrats and Republicans still have more resources. Not to mention at a local and state level many people will simply vote for their party.

No, he didn't come close to winning but he got a lot of votes for an Independent candidate.

Third parties can't really get any traction at the local or state level either. They still get left out of debates and the Democrats and Republicans still have more resources. Not to mention at a local and state level many people will simply vote for their party.
there is a reason for that

there are more republicans and democrats than there are other party's

Forum List

Back